• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Refractory

this is the new Sonnyboo produced short, REFRACTORY .

A troubled girl faces her doctor in a chess-like dual of the wits.

starring Jane Mowder, Megan Pillar, and Max Groah.

Directed by Joanne Fromes
Produced by Peter John Ross
Written by Joanne Fromes and Peter John Ross

Cinematography by Gil Whitney

Edited by John Fromes

Production design by Leyna Haller

Assistant Director Rachel Hanna

Gaffer - Mike McNeese

SHOT with the Panasonic HVX200A, edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 with color correction and FX in Adobe After Effects CS3.

CLICK HERE TO PLAY REFRACTORY .

Cool storyline :)

I really liked the cinematography

Thanks. Gil Whitney did a great job, along with Mike McNeese the gaffer. The lighting took forever to make it look like we didn't light it. It was worth it as this is an amazing looking short, probably the best looking thing I've produced.

The first minute or so were very well done, I liked the technique during the intro- though I found it was used a little too often. Interesting story as well. I feel as if it could have been a little better developed, but that wasn't a big problem at all - it was unique, which is important.

I think lighting could have been used better, although I understand that it was just natural light. The acting was quite good.

I felt as if the film started strong and kind of slid downhill as it progressed. I'm not sure why, but that's how it came across. I'll break the film down -

FIRST 2 MINUTES-

Direction- 7/10
Sound mixing- 9/10
Cinematography- 6.5/10
Editing- 9.5/10

REMAINDER
Direction- 6/10
Sound mixing- 6/10
Cinematography- 6.5/10
Editing- 5/10

Good effort, keep 'em coming

Last edited:
I think lighting could have been used better, although I understand that it was just natural light. The acting was quite good.

This was NOT natural lighting. We spent hours getting the lighting setups done, using almost exclusively Kinos. We had about 4 on set, plus other miscellaneous lights.

I like the darker side of you Boo, and I look forward to more like this.

Back