Red State on Netflix

I just noticed that Red State is available for streaming on Netflix. I'm assuming the means K. Smith finished up his theatrical tour? Haven't really been following his campaign at all.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna check it!

I thought That he secured traditional distro shortly after the start of his tour?

At a certain point I was just watching the movie for Michael Parks. What a performance! Sure, the entire cast delivered great work, but Abin Cooper stole the show for this viewer.

Watched Red State the very first day it was up on Netflix.

Smith has made a very realistic movie. I have never seen John Goodman this fantastic at his craft and he has always been a good, solid actor. Watching him, you almost FEEL his thoughts. Awesome pace to story. Clever arcs and twists. Smith did not type cast (he took on some major artistic challenges -- pulled it all off nicely). No 'cardboard' characters in Red State. No dribble dialogue.

Not a huge fan of Smith's other works, but I will say over and over, that he is very good at what he does. Red State is a must see. Whether you like it or not, it will not be easily forgotten and will be discussed for years to come.

So, anyone else notice how far off the sound is on Netflix? I started trying to watch Red State and it's unwatchable because the audio is upwards of a second off. Wondering if it's Netflix or the actual streaming version...

Audio is fine on mine. Just got done watching it, thanks for the heads up. I always thought Smith was a great writer, its nice to see his actual film making skills on this one.

And did I notice Badger from Breaking Bad?

I've tried it so far on my MacBook, TV, phone, and PS3. All of them had the same issues. Watching other things on Netflix just fine. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

So, anyone else notice how far off the sound is on Netflix? I started trying to watch Red State and it's unwatchable because the audio is upwards of a second off. Wondering if it's Netflix or the actual streaming version...

Yep. I had the same problem. Never had any issue like that before. Reported it to Netflix, and I'm gonna try again tomorrow. It was off by a few seconds on my side.

Finally had a chance to watch it. I think it's great! It's definitely my favorite Kevin Smith movie. By far, actually, cuz I've never particularly been a fan of his work.

My only qualm with the movie would be the ending -- the ATF query, with Goodman and those other two dudes. I felt like that was just a bunch of exposition, and that it was being used to shove Smith's political rant down my throat. I'll bet if Smith and I were to discuss this stuff, over a beer or whatever, that we'd probably mostly agree. But I don't like it when a movie is used, so blatantly, to further a political rant. At least not the way it was done here.

Prior to that, though, I was having a blast. I think this movie has some excellent writing (save for that last scene), and even better acting. The final scene in jail was pretty good, too. I'll definitely recommend this one.

I had the lagged video/audio problem too.... But even with having to stop every two minutes, it was a good film. kevin smith did a great job with this. it seems (for me anyways) that this is way different than his other works

Finally watched it last night. I really liked it, with the exception of the ending. I would have preferred to see everything rather than just having it recounted the way it was. Other than that it was great (and the sound issue had finally been fixed).

That's cool it's on Netflix. Rented it on iTunes some weeks back. Really enjoyed it for the most part. Doesn't feel like his other movies at all and I applaud him for that. Really some nice stuff in there. I especially liked the camera work on the run through the house by the kid who escaped. I was let down by the ending too though. When the horns started I was enthralled and on the edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen. The ending exposition though let me down.

When the horns started I was enthralled and on the edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen. The ending exposition though let me down.

Yeah, it was kind of anti-climactic. It ramps you up for something big to happen, and then they just explain it all via exposition. But still an awesome movie. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan anyway, so I've been looking forward to this for months.

Ok, I want to see this film. But I've gotten the impression that it's a bit of a thriller/scary movie? Is that true? Because I can't handle scary stuff.

And please be honest or my lack of sleep will be on your hands. :P

Ok, I want to see this film. But I've gotten the impression that it's a bit of a thriller/scary movie? Is that true? Because I can't handle scary stuff.

And please be honest or my lack of sleep will be on your hands. :P

It's not really scary. It's gory in places (though not gratuitously so). I honestly thought it was going to get scarier in places than it was, but it never crossed over into what I would consider horror. Maybe a little thriller-ish. But it's not the "something's-going-to-jump-out-of-the-closet-at-any-moment-and-make-you-piss-yourself" kind of scary.

Back