• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Red Post Tips and Help

I'm shooting my first Red (Epic) feature now. I'd love to get some tips and help as I move forward towards post production and editing. I've never used Red footage before, so I'm trying to figure out what editing software, what workflows work best, etc.

I'll be editing the film and I've always done my editing in Premiere on a PC. What's the most recommended for editing Red on a bigger feature project? Mac with FinalCut? Is Premiere (CS6) fine? What kind of workflow goes well with this? I've generally done color correction in AE... is that recommended?

Like I said, just trying to figure out the best roads to be going down before I get into the edit. I don't want to get started and shoot myself in the foot right off the bat!

Thanks everyone!

Premiere handles RED footage waaaaay better than final cut. If you're shooting 4k raw though, you'll need a beefy computer, tons of hard drive space and bandwidth and preferably a red rocket card. The hardware acceleration will go a long way! If you're shooting 2k you can get by with a little less.

Let us know what you end up going with and how it turns out!

I have not personally worked with red footage but know quite abit about the conversion process where I work. If you want to edit native R3d files its only worth doing that if your in a rush to edit and get it out the door (or prehaps if you dont undersand conversion of R3d :P).

If you have a pipeline with a colourist, vfx etc which is more likely you will want to take the R3d file in to Red cine and do a conversion to a DPX format using the redlog gamma and RedColour2 colour space. This tends to be the more standard work flow.

If your somewhere inbetween the two and doing grading in after effects and editing in premiere you may want to concider converting to a Pro Res 4:4:4.

Each have pros and cons, 1st method is slower imo for a feature as you have to handle the bigger files through the whole process. Option 2 is usually is prob the most used as you are keeping a lot of the latitude of the R3d for grading and its less buky, all decent editing programs can handle log DPX. But it takes some understanding so you dont f the whole thing up. 3rd method is best I would guess if you are just using premiere and not going pro with grading. It also dosent take a massive understanding of colourspace etc and is easy to work with in the programs you suggest.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Back