Recording Marantz PMD-661 to Canon 60D

Leaning towards buying the Marantz PMD-661 Super (oade brothers mod). Not sure if I can use it to record directly into the Canon 60D camera's card. Does anyone have any experience with this?

You could use it to record a scratch track to the camera for syncing in post, but it won't be high enough quality to be used for the final mix, for which you'll need the files recorded to the memory card in the Marantz.

Why would you want to send it to the camera? You use the sound from the camera mic for sync. One of the major plusses of second system sound is that you are no longer tethered to the camera.

Fostex upgrade or Marantz Super (oade brothers mod)

Thanks guys. I'm a straight up rookie. I'll take your advice. I had an unexpected asking price of $300 (maybe less) for a Fostex FR -2LE. I was set on the Marantz PMD-661, but the Fostex at this price sounds like a good deal. Oade brothers does the Fostex Super mod upgrade for $285. This adds up to $200 less than the "ready made" Fostex Super mod by them and $100 less than the Marantz Super mod. $100 is a chunk of change towards mics, etc. Any one have experience with the Fostex FR-2LE (oade brothers) for comparison. I'm closing the deal on one of these oade brothers mods by the weekend.

Last edited:
Fostex FR-2LE oade brothers upgrade or Marantz PMD-661 Super

Why would you want to send it to the camera? You use the sound from the camera mic for sync. One of the major plusses of second system sound is that you are no longer tethered to the camera.

Thanks guys. I'm a straight up rookie. I'll take your advice. I had an unexpected asking price of $300 (maybe less) for a Fostex FR -2LE. I was set on the Marantz PMD-661, but the Fostex at this price sounds like a good deal. Oade brothers does the Fostex Super mod upgrade for $285. This adds up to $200 less than the "ready made" Fostex Super mod by them and $100 less than the Marantz Super mod. $100 is a chunk of change towards mics, etc. Any one have experience with the Fostex FR-2LE (oade brothers) for comparison. I'm closing the deal on one of these oade brothers mods by the weekend.

Back