• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recording engine sounds (H4n)

I've just bought Zoom H4n for hobby video making and I would like to master some basic aspects of field recording. I'm currently doing a video with a car being the main subject. Instead of using some music, I would like to use actual car / engine sound for the video.

Since I have Zoom H4n at my disposal, I'm looking for the best way to pick up sound with this device.

Any advices are welcome :D

If you're actually wanting to get the sounds of the car you're shooting (specifically the engine), then you'll want the mic near the exhaust. A windjammer will be a must. Closer to the engine tends to get more mechanical sounds and air flow sounds. Most car sounds are actually recorded with the car stationary on a dynometer, where the engine can be loaded down, but you don't have to contend with wind noise. And typically, film car sounds are a mix of several different sounds, and usually not the car you're seeing.

I've just bought Zoom H4n for hobby video making and I would like to master some basic aspects of field recording. I'm currently doing a video with a car being the main subject. Instead of using some music, I would like to use actual car / engine sound for the video.

Since I have Zoom H4n at my disposal, I'm looking for the best way to pick up sound with this device.

Any advices are welcome :D

The dyno idea seems practical and most reasonable if there is resources...but the thing is, the nearest dyno is too far away for the video I'm making.

The car is 4WD so I can't even jack the car up and rev it, but even if I could I wouldn't like to do it that way since I think car sound is different when the car is revving in neutral or revving under load.

Mounting H4n on the rear bumper will probably be the way to go. I have H4N's original windsock, it's not the fuzzy type but I hope it'll work.

Will it make any significant difference if the H4n is pointed toward the exhaust or pointed away from it?

Thanks for the help! :D

Yes, it'll make a huge difference. Mounted on your bumper, going any faster than a few miles per hour your going to get so much wind noise it'll be unusable.

Also, using an actual mic running to the unit will work much better than your built in mics. I have an H4n too, the built in is pretty terrible.

If you HAVE to use your built in mics and you HAVE to have the car going down the road, you might consider mounting the unit under the hood? I agree that it won't sound as realistic as near the exhaust, but it'll actually record something other than wind. Your ears hear a mix of engine, exhaust, road and tire noise together anyway. I'd imagine that recordings singular source that close to the car won't give you a normal sound.

That's mostly speculation though. It's a cheap experiment, duct tape and gas right? Jump out there and drive around the block, move the unit, drive again, change something else and repeat until you have a lot of tests. Take notes as to which file is which, then listen to all on some decent speakers and see what's what.

Take it out and play w/ it. You will have some surprises some good, some bad. You do not need to get the exact exhaust of the vehicle you are portraying, just create a sound that fits. I suggest against using the H4n's mics .. get a shotgun is my thought. Mix a combo of the exhaust near the pipe, mebbe from several feet away, the engine compartment and even some from underneath the vehicle. Love to hear what you get.

YES the wind noise will be big deal...............Good Luck !

As Paul mentioned, you're going to have huge issues with wind noise, and the basic wind protection is probably not going to cut it.

I know it's beyond your resources, but the following article will fill you in on how it's usually done. Although you don't have the resources, the principles are the same regarding coverage.

http://designingsound.org/2010/08/rob-nokes-special-guide-to-recording-cars/

I've recorded a few vehicles myself (with an everything from a DAT to a Sound Devices set-up and a lot of mics) and found the article very helpful. I also found it extremely helpful to have a cue sheet from the first edit. Don't settle for one or two of each, get LOTS of coverage, it doesn't always cut in the way you think it will, and there's only so much you can do with editing, time stretching, etc.

Back