• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Reconnoiter - Teaser Trailer

Hi,

Please take a look at the teaser trailer for our SCI-Fi feature 'Reconnoiter'. We arecurrently in post production working on all the CGI.

(Best seen fullscreen in HD with sound up loud)

Best bits at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBpwQ0I1Lk

If you enjoyed it please spread the word and LIKE our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/renderedpictures

or

Follow us on Twitter: @neiljohnrowe
Blog: www.renderedpictures.co.uk
Official Site: www.reconnoitermovie.com

This looks great! Really good fx work too. I was looking at your official site and was shocked to see that you did all of this for less than $5,000! Excellent job! I would love to watch the finished film. Where can I see it when it's finished?

Last edited:
Thanks reelindie,

The plan is to finish all the post production early next year and then try to make it to some festivals after that. But at the moment all I can see is a huge mound of CGI work to be done.

In the meantime though I plan to post regularly on -

with lots of making of stuff and VFX breakdown shots.

Cheers,

Neil

Love the trailer. Can't wait to see the whole thing. Visual effects are top notch. It's very difficult to make fire look realistic, I thought you pulled it off.

Hello new dude :cool:

Great trailer! The VFX, cinematography, and grading is epic. It held my interest throughout with the music and beautiful visuals. Well done sir :clap:

Looked great.

I'm really not a fan of the shaky cam thing, but you can't really change that now. A lot of people do like it, and I guess it's kind of a convention nowadays..

Overall good job. It looks interesting. The effects were not bad. Could have done a little better job on matching the lighting with the effects.

The ship/pod thing looked like it could have used a little motion blur in the camera and the texture grundged up a little more. The light also didn't adapat as the object moved through the frame. It also needed to have grain added to make it match with the rest of the video.

The smoke off in the distance was done well.

The fire didn't feel a part of the environment. The light cast from it was non-existant as was the turbulance in the air that would be created by the heat and having the camera that close to the flames. Though the matchmoving of the debris and fire to the shaky cam was good. So was having flames blured in the foreground to help give depth. Probably could of added a little bit of charing to the ground that was on fire. Also might of put some minor reflection from the fire in the guy's mask, or at least changed the color of the reflection to match the fire.

You also needed to match the lighting of the 3d model at the end to the film footage and add grain to the model so it matches the video. It looked very fake as we have a heavy influence from the lights on the guy, but none on the 3d model. It made it come across as very fake.

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated

@Perkins - I used plates from Video Copilot Action Essentials 2 for fire which gives an excellent starting point.

@ChimpPhobiaFilms - Thankyou

@ cheeseandachallenge - Yeah I hear what your saying, and we have ended up with a lot of 'shaky cam'. My three excuses would be 1) speed of camera setups 2) weight of the camera Rig, (I was shooting on a HV20 with DIY 35mm lens adapter, and a lot of other DIY rigging) it was Heavy! 3) I operated the camera (I aint no camera man!), which became hard work on our shooting schedule.
So to sum up, I would have prefered a more controlled 'Shaky Cam' but it wasnt to be with our budget.

@Jmoschner - Yeah I hope to revisit the 'Space CG' elements but I have had to move forward as I was spending way too much time on them. But I will deffinately check my grain and vignettes as I am using plates captured from the camera over the top of all CG elements.
As for the fire, your quite right I do need to add some environment glow from the flames and ground charing, there is heat shimmer there but may be a bit too subtle and difficult to see on youtube.
The robot in the tunnel is an edit of a much longer sequence where we see the robot walking down the tunnel passing each light, in the section in the teaser the robot is between the two lights as I didnt want to reveal too much of him at this stage, but I can assure the scene has been fully 3D tracked and lights are positioned and calibrated correctly.
On that note One thing I have learned from making the teaser, is that its not necessarily a good idea to hold back on what you show, as from my youtube stats a lot of viewers are not making it to the end, the next trailer I do will be aimed more at holding attention than building suspense.

Thanks again for the comments, lots there to think about,

Cheers,

Neil

Last edited:
:( i didnt get it.. hes running from robots ok but I didnt get anything as to why or what was going on, I thought the point of a trailer was to show the purpose of the film, from this i didnt get that.

This looks really good! I don't mind the shaky cam at all. I think it adds to the feel you're going for with this. I would definitely check this out when it's finished! I'll be honest though, I had no idea what Reconnoiter was or how to say it for a bit. After I looked it up I think it could work as a title.

@8salacious9 - Thats ok thats about all you are meant to get from it at this point, but when we do the next full trailer I will keep your points in mind.

@MissingProductions - Thankyou, I keep changing my mind on the grade, so its nice to know this one gets a vote.

@ChimpPhobiaFilms - agreed, I think 1.20 would have been a much nicer length.

@PugLifePro - Thankyou, I would have loved to have used the noun rather than the verb (just so I could have 'The' in the title) but it would have been
'The Reconniterer'
and that would be just silly!

Please dont forget to LIKE the facebook page

If you want to stay in touch with progress.

Cheers,

Neil

Last edited:
Back