Real Indie Film - The Comeback

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
The regurgitation of indie films by the studios had gotten to the point where everything was "indie", even Disney bought into it. It got so lame indie was no longer cool so they got back to what they do best, blockbusters. Basically they took our word, s*it all over it, and left it out in the California desert to die somewhere. Well I am here to tell you that I have retrieved it, spit shined it, and am in the process of making it cool again. You guys can help by making some kick ass films. 2009 may possibly be the return of real indie films. I don't know, I can just feel it.

Haha. Nice. I also am making a REAL indie. My first feature. Extremely low-budget. With a two-man crew. I think 'indie' is something that can really mean something again. There's some films coming out soon that have 'REAL INDIE CRED'... such as 'In Search of a Midnight Kiss', etc.

I'm in the process of making my first movie. Our budget is roughly $1500, and it will be roughly 5-10 minutes long.

I built a steadycam, and I'm in the process of building a sweet jib for under $100. After that I'm going to build a dolly and light set up. I should put up all these designs for other no-budget filmmakers after I finish them.

Last edited:
Indie is where it's at!

We finished our first feature with a crew of 6 just under 25000. Shot for 17 days straight with about 3 hours of sleep in between. We had a blast.

Next up, a documentary for about 1000.

:cheers:

Slacker
My first feature. Extremely low-budget. With a two-man crew

thats great. Can i know whats the genre of the movie please?

I think this is one feature of Indie filmmaking thats creates and contineously develop our love for INDIE FILMMAKING because majority of the work is done by our hands like making light, JIB etc ... and we get a chance to get involved in every department of filmmaking very deeply

Last edited:
I agree. I, too, am tired of the $60,000,000 'indie' film (check out the latest Di Nero, Pacino film). No offense to these guaranteed distributed films using the indie label but it has made it tough for those of us who really are doing indie films (no names, no budget, no connection).

2009 will be the year for the Indie film. I hope...

Todd

Last edited:
indietalk

You know i am not very good in English so kindly can you please tell me in detail all what you said
The regurgitation of indie films by the studios had gotten to the point where everything was "indie", even Disney bought into it. It got so lame indie was no longer cool so they got back to what they do best, blockbusters. Basically they took our word, s*it all over it, and left it out in the California desert to die somewhere. Well I am here to tell you that I have retrieved it, spit shined it, and am in the process of making it cool again. You guys can help by making some kick ass films. 2009 may possibly be the return of real indie films. I don't know, I can just feel it.

Though i have understood the theme of your message which is 2009 will be the year of Indie Films but want to know it in detail . Kindly you will help me?

More over It is just an intution or you believe 2009 is an Indie Film's year by keeping an eye on Market?

Regards

ad;

I'm sure IndieTalk will come back and clarify his statements as soon as he gets a chance :yes:

However, what I got from his post is this:

Since the word indie has now become synonymous with Tarantino and Rodriguez, who made films that probably would never have been made through Hollywood's system, now everybody out there wants to seem edgy, cool, creative in thinking and perspective, in a word: indie. So Hollywood began attaching the word indie to everything in order to capitalize on what the word means, even if it didn't really apply.

However, what often happens here in the United States, if you say you are something, people tend to believe it, often without checking it out. So all of a sudden indie becomes a catch all phrase with none of the spirit of indie filmmaking.

For example, the movie: The Aviator
This film was made for $100 million dollars and had so many "A-list" actors in it, that most movie goers would never think indie film when watching it. But since the film did not go through the Hollywood system to get made or for distribution, independent was attached to the name.

When we talk indie on this board, my understanding is: to have a great idea/screenplay/script. To create the film with the best technical ability we can, have the film be good enough to stand on its own even without actors like Cate Blanchett or Leonardo DiCaprio, and still be considered a good film, hopefully good enough to get distribution and allow the filmmaker and crew to express themselves creatively and make a living at their craft. Everyone cannot afford Cate Blanchett. But if you are lucky, you will find actors that can carry your film.

An example of an indie film that eventually gained a following: Pi
Hollywood would have never made this film. It was made for $60,000 by an unknown Darren Aronofsky. No love interest, no Hollywood ending, a story you had to pay attention to in order to follow. The word is that he raised the money by selling shares to his family. Lucky him, the film was recognized for its artistic contribution and Aronofsky is a busy director now, who does unusual films.

Since indie does not apply to everything and the fact that no one was being fooled, Hollywood went back to doing what they are good at: blockbusters.

I personally think that indie filmmaking is like painting or creating music. You do it because you have something to express or a story to tell. However, it seems like Hollywood feels that they get to decide whose story is worth telling. Since that is not fair, I think this is where indie films step in. Being drawn into creating something you haven't seen or considered before. Those stories are important. So, it is our job to tell those different stories and show different people and perspectives. Everybody in America isn't rich. Everybody doesn't live on the beach in California.

That is why independent filmmaking is important. That is why independent filmmaking is cool.

Sorry my answer is so long.....:blush:

-- spinner :cool:

First of all no need to say sorry for a long reply Miss spinner. I dont know about the others but it was really informative for me.
Secondly Thanks a lot for telling me everything in detail. I felt good that Hollywood failed to get into the shoes of Indie FIlmmakers. May be Hollywood's feet are too big to get adjusted :D.

I always believed that every person or group have something different from the other. Even if some one is at a superior position. And the details written by you made it clear that i was correct. I also love Indie Filmmaking because we have complete authority on expressing our stories and expressing it in the way we want.

Back