• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

RANT: HIGH CONCEPT vs. yawn...

I thought I would attempt to solicit some IndieTalk opinions about a subject that is near and dear to me...

The topic is screenplays overall with an emphasis on screenwriting contests... I have a friend who's an A-LIST screenwriter and over the last few weeks, we've been on the phone till the wee hours of the morning discussing this business of screenwriting...

The following is my opinion only and for ME... In this business, it keeps ringing true on a day by day basis...

Here we go...

First of all... I know a lot of people that want to write a SPEC script and use it as a way of breaking into the business... They may ultimately want to be directors or producers but that being said... One of the very best ways to break into this business is to write that BREAK-OUT spec script that blows everyone away.

Let me also define "the business" a little further...

I'm talking about writing spec scripts for Hollywood. Not necessarily Indie films with little or no budget... I'm talking about writing something that gets your foot in the door with the big boys of Smell-A.

My opinion, as discussed with my A-List friend, is that everywhere we go, we have NEGATIVE OBSTACLES getting in our way... I'm not talking about the usual obstacles i.e., not knowing anyone, needing an agent, etc...

No...

I'm mostly talking about entrepreneurs... i.e., screenwriting contests, screenwriting books, screenwriting magazines, screenwriting gurus, etc.

I've been able to peek through the Hollywood barrier more than a few times since I've been writing... I've had some success and have even gotten a job or two but admittedly, I'm not an A-List writer... However, the little I've been able to access other working writers, producers, directors, etc., one thing stands clear above and beyond everything else...

HIGH CONCEPT SCREENWRITING.

Again... For clarification purposes... I'm not talking about indie low budget, Avant-Garde or experimental films... I'm not even talking about stuff like David Lynch would write... Charlie Kaufman yes, but not Lynch. I'm talking strictly about scripts that get sold to Hollywood and made into a film...

Everywhere I turn, I see screenwriting contests, books, gurus, etc., telling the proverbial wanna-be to write what they know, write what you feel, etc... From much of these recommendations, I see lots of screenwriters winning contests with historical stories, quirky character stories, etc... In fact, many a contest seems to be won with smaller type NON HIGH CONCEPT screenplays.

This would be fine as long as the screenwriters aren't trying to break into the business... And, I no means have any data or information to back this up but out of the some 75,000 PLUS screenplays that get written every year, the majority of the people that write these ARE IN FACT attempting to get noticed, discovered, a job, or better yet, SOLD.

Which takes me back to the problem...

It seems to me... With my limited observations with screenwriters/filmmakers that most are missing one very important factor... HIGH CONCEPT.

I schlep my way through at least 10 to 15 spec scripts a month for friends, for money, for coverage, etc. and at least 99% of these scripts suck. Poorly written, no structure, no real story, no real protagonist or antagonist, etc.

The 1% that do make the grade are RARELY high concept. Don't get me wrong... They are well written scripts. Clear characters and decent storytelling but one huge problem... WHO CARES?

Over the last 10 plus years, we seem to be somehow endorsing everyone and their brother to write these cute, quirky, character driven, scripts... Which they do and do very well but these very same scripts fail to make the grade in Hollywood. This would be fine as long as the writer doesn't want to try and break in but my unofficial survey tells me different. My unofficial survey tells me that 99% of the people I know that write screenplays DO IN FACT WANT TO BREAK INTO HOLLYWOOD or the HOLLYWOOD SYSTEM.

If you're lucky, one of these cool little scripts might get you some meetings but as usual, I know many many people that DIE in these meetings when asked what other material they are working on... As soon as they SPEAK about their projects, big group YAWN.

Please don't misunderstand me...

I am not telling anyone to quit writing those cool little quirky scripts... What I am saying is that to break into the Hollywood system or maybe I should say to maximize your chances of breaking into the system, you really need to have a high concept story. I would even go so far as to ask yourself the following question about your story, "WOULD I PAY $10 TO GO SEE THIS STORY AT A THEATER?"

Better yet...

A better question might be to ask your next door neighbor, your teenage brother, your sister's boyfriend, etc., if THEY would pay $10 to go see your story at a theater... Chances are (if these people are AVERAGE movie-goers) the answer will be NO.

I guess my complaint is this...

I see a ton of thoughtful and dedicated work on a monthly basis... Almost all falls short of its eventual goal i.e., to break someone into the business because the story is flat... Not important. Not something that will make you sit up and wonder about it.

I feel that contests, books (not all books mind you, but a large portion), gurus, and magazines do would-be future Hollywood screenwriters a huge injustice when they pick these quirky little scripts that rarely sell as winners... I feel that contests should be somewhat like the minor leagues of baseball... They need to prepare the hopeful screenwriter of what and how they should be writing.

Every time one of these cute little heartwarming scripts wins a contest, other hopefuls see this and figure, "Hey, I have a story like that..." Again, I'm not putting these kinds of scripts or stories down in any way. I've read lots of them in fact... What I am saying is that when one of these scripts wins a contest, it creates a lot of false hope in the minds of other screenwriters.

I will be the first one to say that Hollywood is losing ground with it's cookie cutter, sequel, built-in audience, book adaptation formulas of movie-making.

They suck. Just go watch SAHARA... LOL.

What I would like to impress upon those of you who really know how to write and WANT TO BREAK INTO HOLLYWOOD is to take that great writing of yours and turn it into a HIGH CONCEPT story and when you finally get to that A-List mountain top, go ahead and divert your attention to those cool little screenplays you once churned out and won contests with.

WHY?

Because I think that's the only way we're going to see a real improvement in the films we see... This weekend, I really wanted to go to the movies... In fact, going to the movies USED to be something I looked forward to on the weekend...

Not anymore.

Just one look at the myriad of slop playing here locally gets me back to work on my own script(s).

So what's the difference between the slop and the quirky, cool little scripts? HIGH CONCEPT, pure and simple. No more -- No less.

Almost all use similar structure but the idea just isn't BIG ENOUGH!

I know there's a lot of us out here that have some compelling, character driven story inside of us waiting to get out... That's cool. Do it. Just don't expect that kind of story/screenplay to get you into the system. Take that same technical expertise you have and attach it to a HIGH CONCEPT, and now we're talking... Once you're in the system, then you can make changes to it... i.e., Robert Rodriguez. He went against the grain of Hollywood and made his SpyKids films as well as Sin City... All high concept but done his way. That's how you change things in this world. You can't change shit in Hollywood by writing cool little stories that nobody cares about... I would recommend writing a book with stories like those because I think you would still stand a much better chance of getting your work made if someone publishes it into a book first.

You gotta have a big story. Without it, nobody in Hollywood will care. They KNOW what sells. Small stories rarely do and when they do, they rarely make money.

Like I said... If you're just into making your own films from your own work... No problem. This rant isn't meant for you but if you want to break into Hollywood... Make enough money to start making your own films your own way so you can make some improvements to the system, write HUGE! Come up with those HUGE ideas and write them the same way you write those small, compelling stories you do so well...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definately an avante garde, experimental filmmaker. But I agree with filmy that most screenplays suffer from a lack of a concise, simple and coherent story.

There is also a high cost for breaking the rules. My feature No Place is having real problems getting distribution simply because the storyline can't be sumed up in one sentence (three yes, one no). That and the fact that there is no dialogue in the first eight minutes.

Personally I don't think that high concept automatically means "dumb formula hollywood dross' it just means having a clear understanding of what your story is. The "dumb formula hollywood dross' comes from writers who don't take the time to understand human nature and just turn out two dimensional charactures of people and situations.

clive said:
Personally I don't think that high concept automatically means "dumb formula hollywood dross' it just means having a clear understanding of what your story is. The "dumb formula hollywood dross' comes from writers who don't take the time to understand human nature and just turn out two dimensional charactures of people and situations.

And I think that's what filmy was getting at - High Concept + Good Story and Characters = Gold.

Poke

Open Water...

Beeblebrox said:
I'm not sure about this as an example. Open Water was made completely independently. It was never bought or sold as a script. Now, I think the MOVIE works because of the concept, but that's really more about how you sell a movie to an audience rather than working within the studio system.

Uh... That's what I said... LOL.

FilmJumper said:
That's why films like OPEN WATER work within the system... No, it wasn't a spec script but it was high concept hence, the reason it got sold. Sure, every once in a while, a small quirky film gets made and does well... I applaud these filmmakers and screenwriters but even having said that, the next film they write or pitch (based purely on numbers) should probably be high concept.

--sold as a movie because it was high concept and since it was, the return on investment was there.

filmy

High Concept...

clive said:
I'm definately an avante garde, experimental filmmaker. But I agree with filmy that most screenplays suffer from a lack of a concise, simple and coherent story.

There is also a high cost for breaking the rules. My feature No Place is having real problems getting distribution simply because the storyline can't be sumed up in one sentence (three yes, one no). That and the fact that there is no dialogue in the first eight minutes.

A good HIGH CONCEPT idea can of course be broken down into a one sentence log-line but that's not necessarily the definition of high concept...

You will get as many different definitions of high concept as you want... Lots of people out there try to explain what it is... My definition is based on the average Hollywood exec's definition... i.e., HIGH CONCEPT is an idea for a movie that needs no further explanation.

For example take the film, BRUCE ALMIGHTY. A local newscaster, unhappy with the way God is running things, gets chosen by God to run things on his own for a while.

--Now this is just a basic example and I purposely didn't elaborate on the logline. Why? Because the simple little explanation explains itself. Nothing else is really needed here. I'm sure there are a ton of better log-lines for this film available but because the idea is high concept, we don't need another explanation. We get it.

A high concept idea, on its very face, allows the average person you're telling it to to get it IMMEDIATELY. They can fill in the blanks on their own. Those blanks may even be incorrect, but they can do it immediately, based on the idea.

And, as I said earlier, if you're like Clive, and make Avante Garde or experimental films, you probably don't need to be worrying about high concept because you're not making or writing those kinds of films...

Having said that...

Take a look at Pi. High Concept. Did well and launched one hell of a career.

filmy

http://www.themegahitmovies.com/highconcept.htm
http://www.screentalk.biz/art043.htm

....oh, I think I get it now... :idea:

High concept is not so much being able to explain the WHOLE FILM, but to boil it down to its most basic.
Then you can put all your twists into the film that you might want, but it still is about the 'high concept'.....

...man finds proof of aliens on earth and tries to defend his family from them....(signs)...
...a curator tests the authenticity of an instrument while recounting its history...(the red violin)...

these are harder...

...an exploration of los angeles' crime underground as viewed by its underground citizens...(pulp fiction)...

...a futuristic protection cyborg is sent back in time to protect a kid from a futuristic cyborg sent to kill him...
(the terminator)

....Hey, filmy, am I beginning to get it???

--spinner

I have a good example of a terrible high concept film, Junior. "As part of a fertility research project, a male scientist agrees to carry a pregnancy in his own body." imdb

I would love to get international recognition and live comfortably off my films and ideas but if it means i have to sell my creative soul and write a typical hollywood blockbuster, then i'd rather live from a ordinary wage and still be able to create movies with meaning, not mindless entertainment. I believe that learning and practicing all aspects of film making would be an ideal senario. If avante garde is my overall flavour of choice, but means i'm most likely not going to be internationally recognized, then that's a downside to my style which i will have to get used to.

spinner said:

--spinner

In my opinion, yes.

lux said:
I would love to get international recognition and live comfortably off my films and ideas but if it means i have to sell my creative soul and write a typical hollywood blockbuster, then i'd rather live from a ordinary wage and still be able to create movies with meaning, not mindless entertainment. I believe that learning and practicing all aspects of film making would be an ideal senario. If avante garde is my overall flavour of choice, but means i'm most likely not going to be internationally recognized, then that's a downside to my style which i will have to get used to.

No one is saying that you'd have to sell your creative soul. In fact, many times in this thread it's been said that you can craft a good story around a High Concept as well as add meaning, create great characters, and get across a message. The point that filmy (and those of us who agree with him) is making is that so many aspiring screenwriters do not realize that if you want to get a script sold execs are looking for High Concepts - note: I didn't say High Concepts without stories or characters.

Poke

high concept...

spinner said:
....oh, I think I get it now... :idea:

High concept is not so much being able to explain the WHOLE FILM, but to boil it down to its most basic.
Then you can put all your twists into the film that you might want, but it still is about the 'high concept'.....

...man finds proof of aliens on earth and tries to defend his family from them....(signs)...
...a curator tests the authenticity of an instrument while recounting its history...(the red violin)...

these are harder...

...an exploration of los angeles' crime underground as viewed by its underground citizens...(pulp fiction)...

...a futuristic protection cyborg is sent back in time to protect a kid from a futuristic cyborg sent to kill him...
(the terminator)

--spinner

spinner,

You've definitely got the logline down... Now the idea is to come up with your own high concept... LOL. Some idea that, on the face of it, would make the average joe sit up and say, "Wow, I want to see that movie!"

filmy

selling your creative soul...

lux said:
I have a good example of a terrible high concept film, Junior. "As part of a fertility research project, a male scientist agrees to carry a pregnancy in his own body." imdb

Poke touched upon this already...

My entire point here is for people that KNOW HOW TO WRITE to come up with their own HIGH CONCEPT and write it.

Any number of outstanding writers could have taken JUNIOR and written it as a high concept thriller and blown us away with it... That's what I'm talking about. Selling your creative soul????? Not hardly.

I'm simply saying that a lot of writers are missing the boat when it comes to breaking into Hollywood. They definitely know how to write... That much is clear. Where they miss the boat is WHAT they actually write. I just read THE LAST BOY SCOUT last night. Very different (not totally) from the finished film. Very high concept... Well written. I recommend reading it. Definitely not a sell-out Hollywood film.

Too many people equate Hollywood films with a formula... LOL. In a way, this is true HOWEVER, that's because most of the schlock is terribly written. You would think it would be much better written but in reality, it's not.

Everybody I know is waiting for the next spec script to blow them away but it will definitely have to be high concept to get the job done. --I hope I'm actually writing one right now... We'll see.

In my honest opinion, if a screenwriter or would-be screenwriter knows how to write, how to structure a story, knows dialogue, etc., they can easily break into Hollywood if they write a couple of outstanding high concept screenplays. Most however, do not. Most people simply write what they want to write. Nothing wrong with that at all! Just don't expect that kind of writing to get your foot in the door. It's a numbers game so of course, every once in a while, someone breaks through... Good for them! But back to the rest of us lost in the numbers... High concept writing will do it.

It also helps if you know how to structure the kind of screenplay Hollywood is looking for. They want to see 3 act screenplays. I actually use my own 4 ACT STRUCTURE but it still looks like the typical 3 act structure to the average Hollywood reader so it's cool...

And remember, structure is NOT formula. Structure is simply a plan. If I told 10 of you to write a script according to a specific structure, all 10 writers would write very different screenplays... Structure is not formula.

Good discussions here... I am enjoying it.

filmy

more thoughts...

lux said:

I was thinking more about your post... Glad you brought up JUNIOR. I agree with you that it was not a great film but the more I think about the concept, the higher I think it is.

Now of course, I don't want to rewrite a movie like this... Not my genre but the concept is HIGH. Consider all the different ways a story like this could have been told (not how it was told). That's exactly what I'm talking about. The concept sells the story.

This could have been a murder mystery, a thriller, horror, you name it. It could have been very well written as any of these genres and that's my point.

No, you do not have to sell your creative soul... You just have to MAGNIFY it.

filmy

Well, I'm wrting a script right now for contests like that and it is written as a bigger movie than I could make...I figured that's what those contests were for, although you seem to have the opposite opinion.

I'm more director than writer right now, but when I have an idea that would be too expensive to shoot, that's what I would send in to those screenwriting contests as just scripts...

FilmJumper said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux

Poke touched upon this already...

Oh my bad, I guess I must have missed pokes post. I should have put emphasis on "I would love to get international recognition and live comfortably off my films and ideas but if it means i have to sell my creative soul and write a typical hollywood blockbuster....". Sure I would write a high concept script if it was made the way i wanted it to, but imo most typical hollywood movies are shit even if they do originate from fantastic 'high concept ideas' because of their transitions from script to screen.

I agree that your idea seems essential for any writter simply wanting to get into the hollywood scene but if i can't also direct it and dp it, then from my basic knowledge of how hollywood works, I would be selling my creative soul if it followed the trend of most hollywood films imo (and I highly doubt they would let an amatuer like myself direct a film as such). I hope that made sense.

One of the big lessons in screenwriting is to keep your descriptions short. I'm not sure... maybe that applies to forum post as well. So, let me sum up what he is trying to say.

1. "Put your tail between your legs and write what SELLS in the box office".

2. "Take that story idea you have a about a guy (you) who had to take care of his mom in a wheel chair for 10 years, before he could live his own life... AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH!

Does that sum it up? I'm a screenwriter and I agree. You have to write what makes money, if you want to sell your screenplay or interest investors.

hmmmmmmmm...

shamrock said:
One of the big lessons in screenwriting is to keep your descriptions short. I'm not sure... maybe that applies to forum post as well. So, let me sum up what he is trying to say.

1. "Put your tail between your legs and write what SELLS in the box office".

2. "Take that story idea you have a about a guy (you) who had to take care of his mom in a wheel chair for 10 years, before he could live his own life... AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH!

Does that sum it up? I'm a screenwriter and I agree. You have to write what makes money, if you want to sell your screenplay or interest investors.

Actually, we're not really talking description here at all... But generally speaking, yes... You should keep your description/action sentences/paragraphs as short and concise as possible yet visually definitive.

Having said that...

I guess you COULD translate the point I was attempting to make as "Put your tail between your legs and write what sells in the box office." --But I don't feel that's all of it. I suppose if you were giving advice to someone who wants to write screenplays for a living, that could be a decent bit of advice to give... Not quite the point of my original post.

Also not sure what you mean by "Put your tail between your legs..." --That part of your #1 sounds like you're telling people to simply GIVE UP writing anything worthy and just write what sells... i.e., be too scared to write WHAT YOU WANT TO WRITE.

If so, that definitely WAS NOT what I was trying to say in my post... I honestly believe that a good screenwriter can write a high concept script... He or she just has to find or create that high concept. Again, if you're simply writing your own stuff to make or Avant Garde/experimental stuff, this simply doesn't apply.

#2 I would agree with a little more... LOL. But even so, maybe a story like that is worth writing as a book. And, that doesn't mean, DO NOT WRITE THAT SCRIPT. If I was passionate enough about a story and had a burning desire to tell it, I would go ahead and write it... I just wouldn't be expecting Hollywood to come knocking on my door... Additionally, I am a firm believer in "WRITING THE SCRIPT FIRST." In my humble opinion, a screenplay makes a great outline for a book so why not write it first and then write the book? Many more people would be interested in reading a book about your #2 statement than people that go to movies... Then, if your book gets published, you ALREADY have the script JUST IN CASE Hollywood does come knocking...

Finally, my post was never meant to dissuade anyone from writing what they want to write. You can and SHOULD do that...

However, if you are trying to break into the Hollywood system of studio pictures, you might want to come up with a high concept... As I said before, that doesn't mean you have to sell your creative soul or put your tail between your legs... You can still keep your integrity... But just don't expect a quirky little story about a guy who had to take care of his wheelchair-ridden mother for 10 years before he could live his own life to get read (let alone made) UNLESS you create a high concept out of that same story...

For example...

This guy could, after a few years of taking care of his mother, dream of killing her in lots of different ways... Maybe he eventually tries to actually do it and therein is his character arc... He either can't do it... OR he can... Can would be a higher concept for sure... But then maybe the mother could tell he was leaning that way and she screws him out of whatever was supposed to go to him when she dies...

Lots of ways to take that story and turn it into a high concept... LOTS. And that's what I'm talking about...

filmy

Now we are writing Novels? I see what your trying to say guy. I was just busting your nuts about the "descriptions" statement.

What high concept scripts have you written?

My next script is a super hero script. Not spiderman, superman, or any super hero you have seen in comic books. This guy I made up myself. Thats my as you call it "high concept" script idea. Superhero films gross over 100M easily.

A good thing to do is go on imdb pro and see what's grossing the big bucks in genres your interested in and then write something that can top it or at least be just as good.

My screenplay is crime/gangster genre. It will not gross 100m in theaters, not even 50m. The money is in video sales these days, 80% of it. Italian gangster films are a dime a dozen. Mine is an Irish gangster film so it created a pretty big buzz in Boston amongst production companies and investors. You have to be a hustler to get a deal.

My advice? FORGET sending out query letters. Anyone who tells your different, doesn't know the business.
Get out there and shake hands. Meet people. Attend Premieres. But DON'T Pitch at parties. If they ask you about your project, by all means. Nobody wants to talk business when they are trying to relax. Just get out there. But be patient.

Last edited:
descriptions...

shamrock said:
Now we are writing Novels? I see what your trying to say guy. I was just busting your nuts about the "descriptions" statement.

What high concept scripts have you written?

My next script is a super hero script. Not spiderman, superman, or any super hero you have seen in comic books. This guy I made up myself. Thats my as you call it "high concept" script idea. Superhero films gross over 100M easily.

A good thing to do is go on imdb pro and see what's grossing the big bucks in genres your interested in and then write something that can top it or at least be just as good.

My screenplay is crime/gangster genre. It will not gross 100m in theaters, not even 50m. The money is in video sales these days, 80% of it. Italian gangster films are a dime a dozen. Mine is an Irish gangster film so it created a pretty big buzz in Boston amongst production companies and investors. You have to be a hustler to get a deal.

My advice? FORGET sending out query letters. Anyone who tells your different, doesn't know the business.
Get out there and shake hands. Meet people. Attend Premieres. But DON'T Pitch at parties. If they ask you about your project, by all means. Nobody wants to talk business when they are trying to relax. Just get out there. But be patient.

The very first screenplay I started and completed was high concept. It was called THE DISK. It's about the creation of a floppy disk that could theoretically contain half the information in the Libarary of Congress. I completed it within 4 months and optioned it out for 5 years at $10K a year. The screenplay was never made into a film... Most likely due to technology... However, it could be updated to sell again... It did however, get me a few writing jobs over the years... Mostly restructuring scripts, polishing dialogue. What was really nice about the experience for me was learning the business and more importantly, learning structure. I've more or less created my own 4 ACT STRUCTURE theory and it seems to be getting popular within the business...

The 2nd script I started and completed got me a lot of meetings... It too, was high concept. About how a rogue Marshal with the U.S. Marshal's Office killed protected witnesses in an effort to cut the budget. It never sold but again, got me some polishing jobs here and there... Unfortunately, with both scripts, I was in the Navy and trying to be in the Navy and be in Los Angeles at the same time is impossible. Luckily, San Diego wasn't that far of a drive...

Unfortunately, I can't really talk about the two scripts I'm currently working on... One is a lot HIGHER CONCEPT than the other but both are high concept.

I also don't agree with your statement on query letters... LOL. I do in fact know several screenwriters who have been able to get their script read and sold based on a query letter... Having said that, these were NOT your typical query letters but they were query letters...

In addition, query emails work really well... As long as you've got the right contact email addresses...

What you say about DVD/Video sales is partly true... Partly because in order to get sales like you speak of, you still have to get that film into the theaters... Theaters FIRST -- Video/DVD sales second.

filmy

Back