• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions re: titles and color correction specifics

First of all, I'm thankful that this forum is populated by so many knowledgeable people in the particulars of filmmaking. I'm not a newbie, yet I've learned so much from reading through the other threads.

For my past projects I've been able use my versatile editor as a one-stop post-production finisher--but he's leaving the state at the end of the month so the edit bay gets disassembled next weekend.

We've locked picture using Final Cut Studio and we're preparing for ADR. But this time I'm having separate people using different programs to do color correction and titles I don't know the best way to proceed.

Do I give the colorist the full final cut project, or something else, and what is the file format I should get back from him/her? Will the titles be separate video files that will need to be imported back into Final Cut and appended to the picture? And is there any good reason for holding off on doing either until after I've finished with audio?

These sound like pretty basic questions, but I honestly don't know because I've never had to ask.

Thanks again.

The answer depends on what specific software each will be using to do their respective tasks... for the audio, you'll produce a video file and an audio file which the sound designer will then separate into dialog and sound effects tracks... if you already have them separated in editing, outputting them as separate audio files will speed the task along tremendously.

As for color, if the colorist will be using apple's color, then you can have the editor export as they normally would for using color, otherwise, you'll have to export something that the coloring software will be able to use and if you can, place markers for either each shot or each sequence to save time for the colorist and they won't have to scrub through and find the end of each scene.

Thanks for the reply, Knightly. The guy I'm considering doing the color is using Apple Color and sent me a video for how he prefers his projects to be prepped. Another colorist approached me with the prospect of using magic bullet (which I am unfamiliar with) but the first guy's work is more aligned with what I'm after. (His rate is also higher, but what do you do?)

Still working on the titles angle, so more on that as time progresses.

Thanks again.

Back