Questions about discovery call

Hey guys,
I've been contacted by an agency about leading the entire production on a 45 day shoot. It's supposed to be twenty 3-minute episodes that emulate HBO's Silicon Valley. The budget is $200k.

I'm supposed to have a discovery call tomorrow with the media buying company on behalf of the firm that's investing in the project. I haven't received much information from the agency that contacted me other than what I've divulged above.

My questions are:
1. What questions do I need to be prepared to answer?
2. Is $200,000 enough of a budget to achieve twenty 3-minute episodes in 45 days?
3. I'd have to quit my current day job to do this...what percentage of my annual salary should I require as a minimum fee in order to legitimize quitting?

$200k with 45 shooting days. Without taking into consideration of pre and post, that's 4.5k a day. Not an insignificant amount, at the same time, it's not a lot. It all depends on the details.

1. Why me? What do you need? (any follow up questions to understand what they need). What should I know that you haven't yet told me?
2. It's a piece of string question. What do you need to accomplish what they need? What will that cost? Is there enough to cover that? If you need to emulate HBO's production value, $200k err...
3. That's for you to work out. I doubt you'll find any number within that kind of budget that'll pay you enough you quit your job if you cannot get it back/another quickly.

$200k with 45 shooting days. Without taking into consideration of pre and post, that's 4.5k a day. Not an insignificant amount, at the same time, it's not a lot. It all depends on the details.

1. Why me? What do you need? (any follow up questions to understand what they need). What should I know that you haven't yet told me?
2. It's a piece of string question. What do you need to accomplish what they need? What will that cost? Is there enough to cover that? If you need to emulate HBO's production value, $200k err...
3. That's for you to work out. I doubt you'll find any number within that kind of budget that'll pay you enough you quit your job if you cannot get it back/another quickly.
I appreciate the feedback.
On question 1 it's good to hear your suggestions on questions I should ask, but I'm more curious about questions they'll ask me. Obviously just generals.
On question 2 I should clarify that I don't think they expect quite the same production value as an HBO production.
On question 3 I'm sort of just thinking that as long as I can walk away with more than 60% of my normal annual salary, I am not concerned about finding another job.

20 x 3: that's essentially an hour of content... Do you really need 45 shoot days for that? Are you really only going to be shooting 90 seconds of screen time/day?

Anything's doable. But at the same time things can quickly add up. A 45 day shoot is going to be costly on crew labour alone, then you have talent cost, camera packages, lighting and grip packages, sound, production design, props, set dressing, locations... and then there's pre and post production to think about...
And here's hoping you don't run overtime.. ever!

Plus, you want to keep 60% of your normal salary... Let's say you're earning $50k/year so you're taking $30k out of this - that means your budget is now down to $170,000...

I would try and cut the schedule in half. Unless you've got some really complex locations, or you have a huge amount of scenes and you never revisit the same location, I can't really see why you couldn't shoot 60 minutes in 22-23 days.

45 days will be less stressful on your psyche, but more stressful on your budget. The opposite is also true.

It's totally doable, and sounds like a great opportunity - but at the same time you should be somewhat realistic. Cutting your schedule in half means you're probably cutting your labour costs by 30-50%, and your supply (gaffer/grip/camera etc.) by 30-45ish%. You may cut your location costs by 10% or more, as you may not need locations for as long.

You'll still need set dressing, props, costumes, et al. but you'll be better positioned for it.

Get a good 1st AD!!

The other question I would have is - are you therefore the Producer? If so, that brings with it extra responsibility..

On question 2 I should clarify that I don't think they expect quite the same production value as an HBO production.

You need to be sure about this. Otherwise it is a 200k assumption.
Be sure to manage expectations properly.

20 x 3: that's essentially an hour of content... Do you really need 45 shoot days for that? Are you really only going to be shooting 90 seconds of screen time/day?

Anything's doable. But at the same time things can quickly add up. A 45 day shoot is going to be costly on crew labour alone, then you have talent cost, camera packages, lighting and grip packages, sound, production design, props, set dressing, locations... and then there's pre and post production to think about...
And here's hoping you don't run overtime.. ever!
I do think 45 days is excessive for an hour of content. We should be able to get a 3-minute show done every shoot day. Would it be a good idea to ask what level of production value they're looking for? I don't want to make them feel like their money is only going to get them a certain level of quality, but I also want to be realistic about their expectations.

Get a good 1st AD!!
Already have one in mind - he's worked as 1st AD, production coordinator and line producer on over 25 big budget feature films. What should I expect to pay him as 1st AD? Because of the size of the budget, I'm expecting to have a skeleton crew, its members each playing multiple roles within the production (for example, the DP may also play the roles of cam op and grip).

The other question I would have is - are you therefore the Producer? If so, that brings with it extra responsibility..
I've just been told (through the agency who referred me) that I'll be "leading the production". What do you mean by extra responsibility?

Last edited:
Can you expand on this a bit, Walter?

You say you think they don't expect the same production value as HBO.
You have to make sure that is not an assumption you have ( "I think"), but you have to be sure you are all on the same level with your expectations.
Ask them about what they expect quality wise: style, look, whatever.

I'm more curious about questions they'll ask me.

Whatever they feel they need to ask to determine if you're the best person for the job, whether you're capable and perhaps whether you're a good fit.

I'm sort of just thinking that as long as I can walk away with more than 60% of my normal annual salary, I am not concerned about finding another job.

Are you coming in as a wage earner or are you the production company getting contracted to do this production? If you're the production company, I would have expected it to work more along the lines of this: $200k less what you spend = what you earn.

What should I expect to pay him as 1st AD?

I would assume that if he's been on 25 big budget films, he's with the DGA. You won't be able to afford him WITH the other DGA requirements for your 45 day shoot. If he's not part of the DGA, you're best to ask him what his rate is.

I don't think they expect quite the same production value as an HBO production.

How do you emulate a show without emulating the production values? It's a really important part of the question that needs to be answered by your "What do you need?"

I'm expecting to have a skeleton crew, its members each playing multiple roles within the production (for example, the DP may also play the roles of cam op and grip).

Just be careful with this. If you upset the balance too much, you may end up causing yourself inefficiencies that will cost you more in the long run.

wbPTZTXGsjmjnMpEZYnndGTIOwVSotq7loV-t2_6_s7LLFKXi7IFG_Qcrz5p5GpwUjjAOjYF1Fey5DcQ6WmXZIgfyez0ytZBnCxE46tK9kCAIrqgodi2CqLmxryjIO1jk8eIEpKqxUYI3htTOMsCTs8r89xh3p3eUJ8M5yS3kR72XYhBAGwgtTVYahe7BVyflz4K6RwCUOw0P6p11kPJsi_BsRtrCawKX9EqFP2cAJOCQ15tSFMoLGAsGziTRObqRl-av_akU1dhFgx7mF9Sc5WxbW-8FkBZJ_DCvIA5SS5LVsmH1jmeJfrrSlWAneeD_hmJKrPU2zs1o0YkhciWtRlz62V0HG-G51VldolWb_FS50pmcvyz3rhIaWWzLsgOCPW6zUXFzVOzxTite-a-jbClDb7wmQsh26A_ITtFY6zNxRYdNm01hv988XvIwc9qYzPsnQ78Y9r3_7gR6oHffZ2893tMfXPL3CcHcMvGi9daA0qqrNe58g-IWyOfxUnZ6QsoFAd0rzN1oKqoF1pRAFjp5BMaoqkgn8xir6A1Ew0LFIZ9foTBudP6iA2qJ2jM_AE-=w540-h549-no

My questions are:
1. What questions do I need to be prepared to answer?
2. Is $200,000 enough of a budget to achieve twenty 3-minute episodes in 45 days?
3. I'd have to quit my current day job to do this...what percentage of my annual salary should I require as a minimum fee in order to legitimize quitting?

1. What can you bring to the project? Have you ever lead a production
of this size? What creative ideas do you have?

2. No. That's quite low for an HBO quality show. The writing staff alone
could take a quarter of that. The post audio will cost $50,000 if you lowball.

3. Can you go right back to you day job when this is completed? If so
you should charge 20% above your current day rate. If not you should
charge $500/day. Depending on what they mean by "leading" the production
that's a very, very low rate - I would charge close to $1,000/day to lead the
entire production. But the harsh reality is you probably can't get more 5% of
the total budget so (including pre and post) that's closer to $100 per day.

I do think 45 days is excessive for an hour of content. We should be able to get a 3-minute show done every shoot day. Would it be a good idea to ask what level of production value they're looking for? I don't want to make them feel like their money is only going to get them a certain level of quality, but I also want to be realistic about their expectations.

I shot 6x 10-minute episodes for a web series in eight 10hr 45min days. Our production value was pretty decent, we called in a lot of favours, got a lot of 'mates rates' on gear etc. It was no HBO, but we worked the budget for everything we could. They were eight hard days, we had two cameras operating all the time (2x Amiras), and we spent 5 days in studio on a set, so we set lights and didn't move them much, so were able to move a lot quicker. But we got it done. If we'd had more money, it probably would have only needed an extra couple of days or so.

It's easier to make a budget go further if you're only paying people (and equipment) for eight days compared to 45.

Our budget was also much less than $200,000

If you're getting one 3-minute show done every shoot day, then why should you need longer than 20 days? Even allowing for 5 extra days to account for pickups and lost time, you've effectively cut the schedule in half.

Personally, I think you could probably do it in 2-2 1/2 weeks (10-15 shoot days) but that's without seeing the script or knowing anything about the project.

Keep in mind, that's just the production phase, not to mention pre, and post. Sound post, picture post, colour grading etc etc.

Your production value is likely to be at least somewhat dependant on the deals you can negotiate.

Already have one in mind - he's worked as 1st AD, production coordinator and line producer on over 25 big budget feature films. What should I expect to pay him as 1st AD? Because of the size of the budget, I'm expecting to have a skeleton crew, its members each playing multiple roles within the production (for example, the DP may also play the roles of cam op and grip).

Again, if you can cut your schedule down, you can afford to have more crew, which means you will get more done in the time. A skeleton crew might take you 20+ days to shoot 60 minutes, if your DP is shooting, and setting up lights and grip gear, and doesn't have an AC.

Are you friends with this guy? It could be a good idea to get him on as your Line Producer. He'll be able to help you break down your budget better, schedule more appropriately, possibly has friends who he can call in for cheaper rates etc.

But then, what is your exact position. If he's doing the money/breakdown side - what will you be doing?

I've just been told (through the agency who referred me) that I'll be "leading the production". What do you mean by extra responsibility?

I'd want to know what 'leading the production' is. DIrecting? Producing? Showrunning?

If you're the Producer and the set runs over-time, then you're going to have to deal with that. You're going to have to make calls on whether you want to pay crew OT to keep working, or pay for another shoot day, and all those sorts of things.

Back