• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question(s) for Premier Pro Editors using PC...

Hello all. I just got a job editing for a marketing company. They only have Windows with Premier Pro CS 5.5. I've been die hard Final Cut my whole life so this is a bit new. I've used AE for years so I can edit just fine but - I want to get an experienced Premier users thoughts about what is the best codecs and formats to use for Premier in terms of exporting?

Like for MAC I just hit quicktime-H.264 and I'm good. Is that the best way for Premier Pro or should I use another way. Also I never know what to set up for my sequences. In Final Cut I just take the kind of footage I will use the most (let's say 720p AppleProResHQ) and drop it on the time line and Final Cut will just automatically change to a ProResHQ time line.

These are kinda noob questions but Windows is just kind of tripping me up at the moment. Would love to get some feed back from you guys!

Hello all. I just got a job editing for a marketing company. They only have Windows with Premier Pro CS 5.5. I've been die hard Final Cut my whole life so this is a bit new. I've used AE for years so I can edit just fine but - I want to get an experienced Premier users thoughts about what is the best codecs and formats to use for Premier in terms of exporting?

Like for MAC I just hit quicktime-H.264 and I'm good. Is that the best way for Premier Pro or should I use another way. Also I never know what to set up for my sequences. In Final Cut I just take the kind of footage I will use the most (let's say 720p AppleProResHQ) and drop it on the time line and Final Cut will just automatically change to a ProResHQ time line.

These are kinda noob questions but Windows is just kind of tripping me up at the moment. Would love to get some feed back from you guys!

I was in a similiar situation. My client is a mac user and I edited on a PC. I just exported the sequencies to either a Quicktime Animation or a Uncompressed AVI. Both will yield large file sizes but still retain the high quality.

When you start a new project, you'll be given a long list of supported formats. You should choose the one that the bulk of your footage was shot in. If you have more than one type of footage, no worries, you can place any supported format in any timeline.

For exporting, I'm curious to know what the more technical experts advise. I export in Apple 720p (when I don't need full HD), and in HDTV 24p High Quality (when I do need full HD). In both settings, it's mp4, h.264. Those formats seem to work pretty well for me.

As implied earlier, I'm far from being a technical expert, so like you, I'd like to know if someone more technically advanced has a different recommendation.

BTW, though it will take a little getting used-to, learning where things are, etc., I think you'll enjoy CS5. It's pretty sweet!

Cheers, and best of luck at the new job. Congrats!

I was in a similiar situation. My client is a mac user and I edited on a PC. I just exported the sequencies to either a Quicktime Animation or a Uncompressed AVI. Both will yield large file sizes but still retain the high quality.

I'm no expert either, but uncompressed AVI looks pixelated on my computer in the past, for some reason.

Good to know. Do you guys convert footage like let's say .MOV H.264 Canon DSLR footage before you throw it in Premier Pro?

I've edited Canon 7D raw files in premiere pro without any conversion neccessary.

I'm no expert either, but uncompressed AVI looks pixelated on my computer in the past, for some reason.

Yeah my bad on that part. Quicktime Animation isn't pixelated like the AVI.

If your doing really intense things with multiple streams of video etc, running footage through something like cineform first has some advantage, however, more and more I just skip it and edit right in PPro.

Also I never know what to set up for my sequences. In Final Cut I just take the kind of footage I will use the most (let's say 720p AppleProResHQ) and drop it on the time line and Final Cut will just automatically change to a ProResHQ time line.

In Premiere, choose the footage you want the sequence to conform to in the bin, drag it to the bottom of the bin and hover over the "new item" icon, and release. It will create a new sequence with the name of the chosen footage and the video properties of the chosen footage.

But that has probably to do with your export settings or your hardware/harddisk-speed.

I export a of projects lot as uncompressed Avi without any problems.
The only 'problem' is it won't playback properly over usb2 harddisks when it's HD.
But I use the uncompressed mostly as a master to create files for blu-ray, DVD and youtube.

Back