Question for Producers

Hi there!

Quick question...What is the favor genre for purchasing? In other words, what genre is your first pick to buy?

:huh:
afac81a

Horror, Action, and Sci-Fi.

I guess that's because those genres will sell well in the international markets and have traditions of selling whether there is a name attached or not.

As we don't often get the chance to pick the brains of an acquistions person, what is it that you are looking for from a film when submitted? I don't mean in terms of genre, but more in terms of what's your check list?

So, for instance, do you go

a) This is a film that I can easily design a poster for because it's high concept and has a good hook
and then
b) This has been shot on HDV (OK) dv (not so good), film (excellent) [or maybe format isn't an issue]
and then
c) The story, cinematography and acting are all strong enough

OK, I think we can talk to these guys.

Or is it more complicated than that? I'd really appreciate an understanding of your process and what you think the key points are. It's a conversation that will help you as well because it will help you get pitches and submissions that are closer to your needs.

The other thing I wanted to ask you is whether you ever enter into pre-production agreements with producers?

Simply we screened it at Cannes (mistake - what we should have done was just give out DVD's), got picked up by a good, reparable sales agent and let them deal with the rest.

That said we did create a good website, set up a strong mailing list and use boards like this and Shooting People. We made sure key players watched and knew of the film.

The film itself was hardcore enough to make sure we got either a love it or hate it reaction which again helps make the film stand out.

Admission: We also faked a few reviews when we needed to just to help get the film noticed (thankfully all our reviews now are real)

It’s funny SINCE our US release we have been invited to 4 festivals and now have the film in competition in various places across the globe. Ours is the opposite to the norm. We made the film, got sold and released, and THEN got recognition.

With LFD it also helped that we have a cast with some sort of track record. Never overlook being able to put ‘Batman Begins’ or ‘Tom Yung Goon’ above your film!

For publicity we used year’s worth of contacts. Websites like Kungfucinema.com and magazines like Impact, Vengeance, Hotdog, Combat, BBC and the like all covered (and still are ) ‘Left For Dead’ because we have , over the years, ingratiated ourselves with these people by writing for the magazines and websites!

Then when we had something to promote they helped us. Never be afraid to be a media slut. We never were and it helped. Even if my big gob got me in trouble a few times.

Finally it helped that we used UK talent and people key in the UK martial arts scene. That again helped to get the film known to the right people.

Back