• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about OMF containers.

I made an OMF container which I am going to send to a sound designer. After making it, I tried opening the container to see if the files were exported in their and it was all in order.

However, when I open it it, stops and says that the files are 'offline' and are not found. And that I have to 'link media', in order to get them there. But I thought the point of an OMF container was so that you can send it to someone. He will not have the original files, so what's the point, if it cannot function without the original unedited files?

Sorry I should have mentioned. I am using Premiere Pro. I am exporting at 24bit/96khz, with the files encapsulated, on broadcast wave, with the audio files 'trimmed'.

Last edited:
You got me. Again, the export settings look correct. If you end up with a large OMF file you should be fine. I never open OMF files after I export... until I get them to ProTools. If your sound designer has issues with the file, then it is time to troubleshoot.

Side note: why the hell are you exporting at 96kHz?! Was your audio recorded at that rate?!

Well some tutorial videos on youtube, such as film riot and others, say to record at 96khz, so I trusted that they knew what they were talking about, and went with it. Yes my recording was at that rate, cause they said to. So therefore, I thought I should probably export at that rate, if their is a reason for 96khz.

Well some tutorial videos on youtube...

... so I trusted that they knew what they were talking about, and went with it.

... cause they said to.

... if their is a reason for 96khz.

THERE, not "their" is a reason. One is directional, the other is possessive. For the love of...

You have such a great track record of adhering to all sorts of advice just because this one guy told you or because you saw it on teh interwebz. Further, you rarely understand why that person or that tutorial may have suggested such a thing (if they even know themselves) which you once again prove with your last (grammatically incorrect) statement. Let me summarize: "These tutorials said to do it. So I did it, 'cause they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. And i figured I'd do it if there was a reason to do it."

Do you have any realistic clue about why 96kHz recording would be used? If you don't actually know the reason, then you need to figure it out. You seem to do whatever any random schmuck tells you to do, but you don't take the time to figure out the reasoning behind it. Then you come here and make some ridiculous post and this whole process starts again.

Here's the deal, and PAY ATTENTION: choice of sample rate is determined by post-production needs.

Are you recording for a CD? Use 44.1kHz, which is the native sample rate of CD audio.

For film/video? Use 48kHz for dialog, which is the native sample rate for digital video. Anything more is overkill. If you are recording FX or other sources that will be subject to heavy manipulation in post, such as pitch and time alteration, then 96kHz is advisable. Why? Starting with twice as many samples allows time stretching to greater amounts (and other heavy alterations) without artifacting, since in the end it all ends up at 48kHz anyway.

Using 96kHz for everything results in unnecessarily large files... wasted space. You aren't going to gain anything by up-converting all your music and pre-recorded effects, and may end up costing quality there in a couple generations of conversion. Keep it simple, and know when 96kHz makes since (hint: it isn't often).

Side note: there are lots of crap tutorials on YouTube. With the DSLR revolution, everyone and their third cousin's stepbrother is a "filmmaker." Worse, now that they all have this new-found hobby and the ability to shoot shallow DOF (which is the only qualifier for professional cinematography, right?), they all start trying to figure out filmmaking and end up getting a lot of bad advice, but they don't know it's bad advice. Then, they decide to share all their bad advice in a tutorial that they know will get lots of YT views because there are lots of other wannabes out there looking for bad advice. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Well I had to make a decision before shoot time, and I actually saw the same thing in three tutorials, so it's not like I just watched one and went with it. But I also did tests and I did not notice any compression artifacting when exporting it at 48 khz. What I am listening for?

I was also told to record 96khz cause it has more range in sound effects that will require manipulation as well. But I will record 48 khz next time if that's better. Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Well I had to make a decision before shoot time, and I actually saw the same thing in three tutorials, so it's not like I just watched one and went with it. But I also did tests and I did not notice any compression artifacting when exporting it at 48 khz. What I am listening for?

You aren't going to hear any compression. Going from 96kHz WAV or AIFF source audio to 48kHz WAV/AIFF isn't compression; it's resampling. And really, it's just throwing out exactly half the samples. (Yes, one could argue that this qualifies as data compression since it does, indeed, remove data, but it is nothing like the data compression that takes WAV to MP3 since it keeps the audio in what is classified as an uncompressed audio format.)

I was also told to record 96khz cause it has more range in sound effects that will require manipulation as well. But I will record 48 khz next time if that's better. Thanks.

For Pete's sake! Why does it have to be only one or the other?!

I've been over this already, but since you insist on glossing over most of what's ever given to you, i will reiterate:

Record your dialog at 48kHz.
Record effects at 48kHz unless you want to be able to push them around in post with heavy processing and manipulation, in which case you use 96kHz. You HAVE to be able to stop and think about it every time.
And if you DO have some 96kHz FX to use, supply them to your sound designer separately from the OMF.

Okay thanks. I just recorded in 96hkz, just in case I would need to manipulate it, and did not know and wanted to be safe. I didn't see any pros to working with 48, other than saving space before. But from now on, I will record at 48. Thanks.

Last edited:
Why oh why?

What is this, your annual New Year's troll?

I just recorded in 96hkz, just in case I would need to manipulate it, and did not know and wanted to be safe.

LIAR! You do know because you've been told a number of times. For example, here is a thread you started exactly 2 years ago and here is a quote from that thread which I posted in Aug 2012: "Unless you are recording for the design of a specific sound effect, stick to 48kHz sample rate from beginning to end... In short, always record at 24bit 48kHz. If anyone tells you 96kHz (or higher) is higher quality they are either lying or they are ignorant of how digital audio actually works!"

And, over a year ago you started this thread which also told you to record at 48kHz!

I didn't see any pros to working with 48, other than saving space before.

What are you talking about? 48kHz is the worldwide standard for theatrical audio (and has been for about 20 years) and it is the worldwide standard for DVD and TV broadcast (ever since DVD was invented and TV went digital!). So, you tell me what the "pros" are of using anything other than 48kHz?

However, when I open it it, stops and says that the files are 'offline' and are not found. And that I have to 'link media', in order to get them there. But I thought the point of an OMF container was so that you can send it to someone. He will not have the original files, so what's the point, if it cannot function without the original unedited files?

Then you don't understand what OMFs/AAFs are, and you need to go and do some research, either here on IT or use google! There are two types of OMF/AAF, Linked and Embedded. If the OMF is asking to "link media" then you have either created a linked OMF or you have created a faulty embedded OMF and the audio files it contains cannot be read. But you already know this because exactly a year ago, in the thread linked above (post #70), I told you: "Maybe your AAF links to the audio files but you are not sending the audio files, maybe you are trying to embed the audio files in the AAF but are choosing the wrong options to allow that to happen"!!! This thread explains in more detail "linked" and "embedded" OMFs/AAFs and even contains a link to a tutorial for creating OMFs/AAFs in Premiere. But again (jeez!!) you already know about this thread because I told you about it 6 months ago in another thread you started about OMF creation in Premiere!

So, I ask you again, is this your annual troll?

G

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I don't mean to be a troll. For some reason I literally did not remember that part of the post from two years ago, that 96 was for sound effects only. I thought it was for manipulation of anything including dialogue. Sorry about not remembering. Thanks for telling people.

I will reformat everything to 48.

Last edited:
Back