• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about hiring a composer.

A lot of composers have great music, but none of their samples, are the kind of tone I want for a scene. How do you know if they have good music when it comes to certain tones? I was thinking of hiring someone, who has great samples, but he wants to be hired before scoring the scene, instead of composing a rough sample first. But how do you know if he can do all tones, and not just the ones in his samples, or what's the right way to negotiate this in the business?

Thanks.

How would you feel about writing a scene or shooting a scene or PSM/booming a scene before you get hired?

So you have a choice - either:

1 - Retain someone whose work you admire and, after some discussion to make sure that you're on the same page, trust them to do the job right.

OR

2 - Keep looking until you hear exactly what you want to hear.

Oh, by the way, I think you mean moods, not tones.

If you're looking for something specific, you can always ask the composer if they've done anything in that style that they could show you. Musicians love showing off and getting people to listen to their music. Just ask and you'll be buried under 8 hours of previous work!

Many composers will demo a scene for you, but a) you need to have a scene for them to score and b) there had better be money involved.

And echoing Alcove, don't say "tones" when talking to them since that has a specific meaning to a musician that is different than what you're trying to say.

Okay thanks. It's just my scene is very specific and none of the composers have anything like that in their samples. Basically it's sad music, but all the composers, either have happy or scary tunes, but not sad.

So far there is one guy who is demoing a scene, but I don't want to lead him on wanting to get payed for his time, when I haven't even heard a sad tune from him yet.

I thought about that but they are not scored with the scene though. It just sounds off since cues happen at odd times, etc. Other people do it though and it works well though. Do other people recut the music so it fits their cues at certain times?

again, ask. if you've got someone demo-ing a scene for you, that's great. But if you're going through someone's samples and reels and you aren't seeing any sad music, why not send them an e-mail saying "hey, do you have any sad/tragic music that you've done in the past that I can hear?"

Do you have temp music that's close? If so, just say "I want something like this. Can you do it?" But give the composer freedom to work, don't hem them into composing a second rate clone of your temp music

Okay thanks. So far only one guy responded to the add and I already asked him. He said he didn't have any but I already sent him a temp track and hopefully that will help. If more people respond to my add, I will do the same thing. Thanks!

I will post more adds.

Back