Question about creating a makeshift wearable camcorder for a filmmaker on a budget.

Hey everyone! This is my first post, and I wanted ask the community what people thought about the idea of using a Sony Handycam HDR-CX290 in place for a job that would probably be more suitable for something like one of those popular GoPro camcorders. While I wish that I could afford to get a lighter camcorder for the scene that I am going to be shooting at the moment, which involves the camcorder being strapped to a runner so that the shot captures everything in the character's view, I am stuck with my heavier Sony camcorder (just for reference, the Handycam camcorder weighs almost a kilogram, while the GoPro weighs in at .07 kilograms).

I know that sometimes its just a matter of having the right equipment for the job, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem before, and if anyone would also know of any possible solutions to this? I have thought of taking a standard camcorder mount and somehow attaching it to the top of a VERY sturdy hat, but so far I haven't been able to find one that does the job very well.

I actually purchased this item from Amazon in the hopes that I could use it to simply attach to the front of a hat for an easy fix, but we've tried it, and it failed miserably - the amount and intensity of the running and movement is simply too much for the camcorder to stay firmly in place without the mount and camcorder flying off the hat:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Visor...Visor+Mount+for+Midland+Action+Cameras+XTA107

Does anyone know of any products that are designed specifically for this problem? Like a hat that is able to tighten in circumference once you get in on your head with the camcorder on top, attached to some kind of a mount that is sewn into the hat itself? I just seem to be at a dead end for this.

If I can't find a solution soon, I'll probably just save up and get something fairly inexpensive like this, but we would like to begin filming as quickly as possible without having to save up to get more equipment (again, tight budget):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A81SXHI...lid=2PYM6ASVDDCAQ&coliid=I1SJH7DBK4HX1H&psc=1

Let me know what you guys think! It's great to have a resource such as the combined knowledge of many individuals who share the simple love of film. :)

Back