Producer Needed For Short Film

We are looking for a motivated producer to help with a short period drama. Being efficient and resourceful are a quick bonus and the ability to work well among teams. We want to bring a producer on board at this development stage. Collaboration is the right term, and the producer must be interested in the story before continuing forward, so any request for the script would be most appreciated. She/he must be London-based or happy to travel to London.

About the Project

Title: The Old Tale of the Sixpenny House (in Shrogg Bottom)

A musical and a period drama, with quirky fairy tale elements. Sixpenny is a short story set in the 19th century in a shabby run-down hotel/boarding house where we meet eccentric characters but, especially, we meet a young scullery maid and a self-absorbed poet. It is based on a short story by best-selling author Dorothy Canfield.
The short screenplay has gotten quite a few positive feedbacks from several industrial professionals and it is now confident enough to move into production.

If you are interested, please email me at sixpennyhouse@gmail.com, or here at indietalk Private Message. Please include any relevant experiences or links to online portfolios. You are free to ask mine as well.

I shall point out: I shall not ask anyone to include their experiences here on the forum; contact me privately.

THIS IS AN AD.

Thanks,
Adé Sanni

Last edited:
Would be good to see some examples of work, production website...etc, just to know what sort of experience/quality level the project is at.

You're not gonna have much luck here, since this board is filled with mainly directors, cinematographers, editors, post-production sound guys, writers, a few actors, and musicians who all work mainly on their own projects and just talk with each other about them and current events in the film industry.

I doubt anyone here would be willing to take an unpaid producer role on someone else's short film.

Try Craigslist or other job/volunteer work-related sites, since this isn't really one of them. (Though, there are some highly talented musicians on here that'll work for free, if you need one of those, as well as voice actors who don't have to travel)

Unlike mussonman I think you might have some luck here. Sure doesn't
hurt you (or this forum) to ask here. Their may be someone interested.

She/he must be London-based or happy to travel to London.i

This position will be expenses only
If you mean this, I am willing to travel to London to produce your project.
You cover my expenses and I take no pay.

You're not gonna have much luck here, since this board is filled with mainly directors, cinematographers, editors, post-production sound guys, writers, a few actors, and musicians who all work mainly on their own projects and just talk with each other about them and current events in the film industry.

I doubt anyone here would be willing to take an unpaid producer role on someone else's short film.

Try Craigslist or other job/volunteer work-related sites, since this isn't really one of them. (Though, there are some highly talented musicians on here that'll work for free, if you need one of those, as well as voice actors who don't have to travel)

Thank you. The project is on a large scale, so we are trying all various websites and platforms to advertise this position, so it shouldn't hurt to advertise on Indietalk.

Unlike mussonman I think you might have some luck here. Sure doesn't
hurt you (or this forum) to ask here. Their may be someone interested.

If you mean this, I am willing to travel to London to produce your project.
You cover my expenses and I take no pay.

Please send me details of where you live and your experiences. Thanks.

It would be expected tasks of a producer.

So an organizational duties. Attaching talent (director, actors, auditor, PM, Publicist etc), working with festivals for entry.

Or are you talking more of a Creative Producer? Or are you looking for an Executive Producer? Or perhaps a Line Producer? Or are you meaning a Unit Production Manager?

All those roles have very specific purposes and the role of a producer is often misused. He was looking for clarity and your answer didn't give it.

The project hasn't got such as we want a producer onboard before commencing on the development.

Please send me details of where you live and your experiences. Thanks.

I love it... We have no references but you need to supply yours.... Warning bells anyone?

Have we really become such a suspicious group that someone looking
for a collaboration raises warning bells? Are we, as individuals so suspicious
that we must warn people away from this board to craigslist?

I see no warning bells in AdeSanni’s post. No money demanded, no unrealistic
promises, no demands other than someone who might be interested in
collaborating on a movie.

The questions asked are appropriate - the suspicion seems unneeded.

AdeSanni, my location is listed
<---- right there.
I suspect you do not want to cover all expenses for me to collaborate. I wish
you the best. I wish the people here were more open and less suspicious of
new people. It's people like you who make indietalk a great place. We do get
some people worthy of suspicion - people who offer crazy promises of fame
and fortune, people who have unrealistic expectations - but I saw none of that
in your posts. Frankly asking a producer to include any relevant experiences
seems like a positive thing to me.

While for you, warning bells might not be going off, for me, they are blaring. I'm seeing a lot of problems, arguments and accusations flying around from the lack of definition (and probably understanding) of the producers role and duties. I'm almost sure there will be a conversation of Producer: "We cannot afford to keep that scene". OP: "You're the producer, go find more money, that's your job!" Though it doesn't mean I'm right. It could end up being a dream position to fill for the right person.

While I agree with you, it's a positive thing, it's not often a realistic thing. You are right, he didn't post unrealistic exaggerated promises of fame and fortune, though asking for proof of experience when not able to provide any particularly for an unpaid position is just plain rude and insulting in my books.

While for you, warning bells might not be going off, for me, they are blaring. I'm seeing a lot of problems, arguments and accusations flying around from the lack of definition (and probably understanding) of the producers role and duties. I'm almost sure there will be a conversation of Producer: "We cannot afford to keep that scene". OP: "You're the producer, go find more money, that's your job!" Though it doesn't mean I'm right. It could end up being a dream position to fill for the right person.

While I agree with you, it's a positive thing, it's not often a realistic thing. You are right, he didn't post unrealistic exaggerated promises of fame and fortune, though asking for proof of experience when not able to provide any particularly for an unpaid position is just plain rude and insulting in my books.

Gotta agree. It's best to be descriptive on this page... I'm not accusing him of this, but due to lack of information, what I gathered was they want someone who will either give/raise money for them, or someone who will do all their work (or both) in exchange for the title of "producer."

Again, this is not an accusation... just the vibe he has given off.

It’s too bad that a first timer cannot ask for a producer here on
the boards without being thought of as rude and insulting. It’s
too bad that your poor experiences in the past color your view
of a first time poster to this community. It’s sad the someone
who doesn’t have the experience you two have is immediately
thought of as someone to be wary of.

Help this filmmaker, don’t dismiss him. Yes, the post is not filled
with information but perhaps he is just starting out and not trying
to scam people. You two have experience and knowledge I don’t
see why you can’t offer some of that to a first time poster on indietalk.

Why is it so terrible for a first time filmmaker to ask if anyone is
interested in helping him produce a movie? Even if it turns out he
is looking for a partner who will raise money or finance the entire
project alone. Why is that so rude and insulting?

You two didn’t need to ask for help when you were starting. I did.
I remember what it was like. I can tell you from experience that
being dismissed or called rude is discouraging. I can remember
making mistakes and people dismissing me or accusing me of
something I was not doing.

But I remember even better those who helped me when I made
mistakes.

So an organizational duties. Attaching talent (director, actors, auditor, PM, Publicist etc), working with festivals for entry.

Or are you talking more of a Creative Producer? Or are you looking for an Executive Producer? Or perhaps a Line Producer? Or are you meaning a Unit Production Manager?

All those roles have very specific purposes and the role of a producer is often misused. He was looking for clarity and your answer didn't give it.

I love it... We have no references but you need to supply yours.... Warning bells anyone?

I am not sure what is happening here. I am running a basic advert. If you are concern about any questions, please feel free to email me about it. If you have a question about the role, email me. If you have a question about my credential, email me. But it would be near impossible to write down everything in an advert.

If you are not interested in any way, you are obligated to not reply to it.

Have we really become such a suspicious group that someone looking
for a collaboration raises warning bells? Are we, as individuals so suspicious
that we must warn people away from this board to craigslist?

I see no warning bells in AdeSanni’s post. No money demanded, no unrealistic
promises, no demands other than someone who might be interested in
collaborating on a movie.

The questions asked are appropriate - the suspicion seems unneeded.

AdeSanni, my location is listed
<---- right there.
I suspect you do not want to cover all expenses for me to collaborate. I wish
you the best. I wish the people here were more open and less suspicious of
new people. It's people like you who make indietalk a great place. We do get
some people worthy of suspicion - people who offer crazy promises of fame
and fortune, people who have unrealistic expectations - but I saw none of that
in your posts. Frankly asking a producer to include any relevant experiences
seems like a positive thing to me.

Thank you Directorik. As you said, you live quite far to cover expenses, and also thank you for your well-reasoned replies.

I shall not ask anyone of you to post your experiences online, and I would not ask it of myself too. So if you got any questions, please contact me. Thanks.

Back