• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Processing MY Work

I'm a newbie with the filming fever and want to get the best look with my cheap setup before investing more money (wife). I have a small sony hdr-cx100 that records decent video and I have a velbon tripod. I record in AVCHD FHD. I use there PMB software to convert footage to mpeg 2 to load into After Effects. Any advice on best way to work this set up would be greatly apreciated. I'm working on my camera techniques but wanted to get the best with my setup. Plus when I upload to youtube it sucks as the short clip demonstrates. It looks good on my home HD 1080 TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIkSL07HpQ

Just checked out your clip, MCL169. Looked pretty good on my MacPro and Samsung 1920 X 1200 monitor at a 720 setting. Your clip was simple and very well done... very effective and not over stated.

Hey thanks alot for the reply. In the begining it's hard to guage your work & I'm still getting use to the camera. So please any body with advise or feed back let me know. I'll post the clip when I develop it more.

No biggie, its a syntax thing..

Editing means cutting and splicing shots together and Premiere is better than AE at that stuff...

What you did here was a visual effect of a single shot, not an edit.

Yes I wanted to know if there was a better way to go from recording to rendering with my setup. Plus get feed back on the shot. I'm newer than a newbie but I learn fast. I'll look into premier thanks for the tip. Thats actualy the type of feed back I wanted. there's actualy an earlier clip "kclown" and even though the "kclown 2" is clearer I was told the first is actually more scarier. Any comments I know it's short and I'm studying up on composition and camera techniques for when I'm ready.
kclown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqthGbzUkXo
kclown 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIkSL07HpQ&feature=related

In the Adobe collection of software, Premiere is the general editing programme.

AEFX can do many editing functions, but is much better suited for smaller, specific segments of the whole.

I was just askin', 'cos I didn't see anything in your video that looked like it required something specific from AEFX... and it's not the type of software that most newcomers would start editing with.

want to get the best look with my cheap setup before investing more money

Honestly, you should start off with the free editing software that comes with your OS. (Movie Maker for Windows, and whatever Apple supplies these days)

It will do 90% of what the more expensive software will do, and will give you a good feel for how the workflow is for NLEs in general.

:)

Hey much thanks for the feedback. I'm excessive so movie maker won't do but I'm working on getting premier. This is a great forum. I'm only on ABC but my mind is already at XYZ. But hey I learn fast. SCARY is good but I was thinking it might be too dark. I'll find a medium. can't wait to dig in deeper. Looking for areasonable class or work shop.

self teach..

film anything and everything (see my post on chicken footage!)

lots of web info.. this forum is great for discovering the RIGHT terms to google for.
Try "rule of thirds" which is a term I picked up here. This simple concept has improved my still photos, home movies and everything I look at with my camera.

Seems a few simple framing concepts really help.

Learn about filming dialog (my next challenge) over the shoulder shots, keeping the heads the same size.. who would think that matters.. doh!

Learn about "crossing the line"

Hey much thanks for the feedback. I'm excessive so movie maker won't do but I'm working on getting premier. This is a great forum. I'm only on ABC but my mind is already at XYZ. But hey I learn fast. SCARY is good but I was thinking it might be too dark. I'll find a medium. can't wait to dig in deeper. Looking for areasonable class or work shop.

You are Otaku, I am Otaku. Your wallet will hate you.

I thought it was cool BUT I didn't think there was need to have the words 'killer' included. I pretty much came to that concl. myself.

It was a bit dark but I have read here that youtube comes out a bit darker...so yeah, not so dark...but liked the red effect and the music. Creepy.

I am TOTAL novice in this. Completely GREEN. I have found a course that is a non profict organization that runs local tv programs. They give next to free classes on production, camera operations, editing ect and they also offer a chance to work them on their programs both in studio and out. They will also let me check out (library style) one of the prosumer cameras they have for their students and they do give a test at the end that apparently involves making your own movie from beginging to end. Unfortunately the 6 week classes are booked and I have to wait till May to take a class.

SO , check around. You might find some local small town place that only asks for a small potato membership fee and in return you get a lot.

Last edited:
Nice little piece, needs a bit more contrast though, as is things are a little flat and overall very dark. Consider that a good deal of what you are after can be done in camera with just lights and production design, rather than in AE. Is it possible to see the shot clean? (before AE).

Red on black is a great combo, but if you are going to shoot without gels and add it as a post filter, then you have to think about adjusting your exposure to compensate, especially if you want and detail at either end.

A little more separation of the talent from the bg with some edge light would do nicely, then you could move your key to be more on his mask, keeping that narrow and hard you could have him lean in and out of the red shaft of light to highlight the detail of the mask and get some shine from the blade as well. I would probably give the key a little bit of a sickly orange-red.

Going that route you could probably give just a teeny bit of fill to show something behind him. Rather than a blank wall there, hang a big piece of deep red fabric or paint some 4x8 foam core red and pretend that is the wall, or streak the wall with goo and "blood" splatter and other filth. Expose for your key light, and check that your fill gives enough background detail where needed but still cuts off to darkness where you want it.

I liked your text off to the side, although it didn't quite seem to pulse in time with the sound but perhaps that was the idea. :D

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about!!!!! Thanks Wheat. I now know what to search for. I kind of knew what I needed but did'nt know the terms to search. Your right. Hey Dave good looking out for taking the time to not only see my first clip but give a detailed advice and opinions. I'm in the right place!!!! Here is the origional clip. I'ld be crazy not to show you after your input. As you can see I did'nt have any lights to use before after effects and I'm in mask so it limits me but I'm resourceful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tEoysqg9fA

Last edited:
Cool.

You definitely are definitely building some chops in AE. I wonder if you could move that virtual key light that was over your shoulder (on the wall/couch) to give more to the mask and knife. I'm not really an AE guy - aside from animating text I haven't done much with it - so I'm not certain of the tools there. I assume it is similar to adding "lights" in Photoshop.

Take a peek around here for a few of the low/no-budget lighting solutions. A small investment at Home Despot (or your favorite hardware store) would go a long way for this type of stuff. There are several threads here with lots of DIY lighting ideas.

In all fairness, I am always looking to do something with either practical effects, lighting, or otherwise in-camera rather than in digital post. It's the 16mm education in me coming out. :lol:

Back