Pricing of films on VOD

Hi all,

I am putting together a report for pricing on VOD and want to get some feedback.

What are your thoughts on a VOD platform having a fixed pricing structure vs the filmmaker being able to choose the pricing of their film on that platform?

As a micro-budget/ no budget filmmaker, I would like to choose the pricing of my film. From my perspective, it is impossible compete with studio product or even most low budget projects in terms of production value. Thus, I would like to offer my films at a lower price to reflect that difference. The ideal price for my films would be 99 cents in USA currency as this psychologically more palatable to the consumer than $1.99 or above.

Fantastic, thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

If we have a drop down of say 5 different prices i.e rental $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99 or $5.99 would this be ok for you? or would you still rather customize your own?

Fantastic, thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

If we have a drop down of say 5 different prices i.e rental $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99 or $5.99 would this be ok for you? or would you still rather customize your own?

Those price points would be fine for me. There may be other filmmakers that would want to charge a little more. I would also like to see two for one offers. Perhaps, a lower priced film could be thrown in with the purchase of a more expensive film with some equitable split for the filmmakers.

I'm not sure of the value of .99 anymore. Do people still differentiate between .99 and $1? IF not, I'd rather charge the $1 and pocket the 1c difference. It adds up over a lot of transactions.

Some people may also want the $10 option. Isn't that pretty much the default price for VOD these days? If so, probably $8 too.

My film was made with the help of 40 people from where I work, an organization supporting adults with intellectual disabilities. I was thinking of putting my film on a webpage at say $3, and after website costs (that I would go as cheap as possible at), donating the entire remainder to my organizations Equestrian Center.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I would be interested to hear you guys opinions about what I would like to do or if you have any better suggestions. My film is an amateur, zero budget film that shows these traits, but is still entertaining enough to show in town and hopefully raise money from local people with.

My film is an amateur, zero budget film that shows these traits, but is still entertaining enough to show in town and hopefully raise money from local people with.

The entertainment factor tops all other aspects of filmmaking. No need to mention the amateur or the low budget aspect of your film if it's entertaining enough to get people to part with their money to see your film.

Good luck.

Back