Prequels, Sequels and Remakes: What would you have in mind?

I have been doing a lot of reading about sequels, prequels and remakes lately. On various sites in the comments section many different points of views are expressed and one of the most talked about aspects of sequels, prequels and remakes is what the story should/could have been about.

What I want to do in this thread is discuss that very thing - what would you want to see as the story in a sequel, prequel or remake to any movie that currently exists, whether it is just one film so far or it has already spawned sequels or prequels?

Blade:

A sequel to Blade: Trinity set in a post-apocalyptic future. The destruction of the world as we know it is a result of a long war between humans and vampires. Blade has been the leader of the human resistance against the vampires and is on the verge of victory. But one question remains - when he finally slays the final vampire what will become of him?

I think that it would be good to take advantage of Wesley Snipe's age in reality by setting the next Blade film in this post-apocalyptic future because by this stage Blade's aging is at the point where it's becoming physically visible. It would also add a new element to this franchise of Blade's eventual death and make him wonder whether, after he sees an end to vampires, he should live out his remaining days or end his own life...which I know is a depressing thought but it would add a bit of depth to his character being faced with that dilemma.

Another reason to set it in this time period is to allow room for more stories set between the events of Blade: Trinity and this sequel.

A Serenity sequel would be nice. A Hellboy sequel would be nice. Harry Potter sequels could be nice. But probably sans quidditch sequences, thank you. A sequel to Terminator: Salvation would be nice.

There are many unfortunate and unnecessary ones, but every once in a while, new technology or a unique filmmaker can put a different spin on it that makes it work. Tron Legacy would be a recent example in my opinion.

In general I'm not too interested in sequels because the films that I think are the most beautiful tend to stand alone. The films that get sequels (nowadays at least) tend to be mindless entertainment, but even if I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride, the 2nd time around it looses a bit of the spectacle for me.

BUT

I was thinking recently about my all-time favorite trilogy, Back to the Future, and even though I think it ended beautifully, it might be really fun to pick that story back up again with just the Doc. Christopher Lloyd is still a fantastic actor who could carry a film on his own. The only way to take the story to the next level would be to explore the extremes of time travel, very very distant futures and ancient pasts. It would look amazing with modern technology and could even be a little darker, while keeping the original comedic charm. Just a thought.

Remakes, by definition, need to follow the same storyline as the original source material (plot points can differ, but the overall story has to be the same). If they don’t, they aren’t a remake. For example, “The Texas Chansaw Massacre” and “Friday the 13th” aren’t really remakes; the term “reboot” sits much better. That said, off the top of my head, I can’t think of any film I’d like to see remade.

As for sequels, I’m a horror fan, so I’d be more than happy to see sequels to some of the franchises (which, we no doubt will). A new “Friday…”, “Nightmare….”, “Chainsaw…” and “Halloween” could be good. They could also be terrible. Either way, I’ll take it.

Prequels are difficult. It’s hard to imagine a prequel to any movie, really. Most films don’t have unexplained back stories. If it’s not shown on film, it’s irrelevant. That, or we’re told what we need to know through the narrative. IMHO, the absolute worst prequel has to have been “Hannibal Rising” (even though it was based on the book (the book having been forced by the movie studio)). To give such a pathetic and unnecessary back story to such an iconic psychopath was just horrendous. That said, the TV show “Hannibal” was great (didn’t try to explain the cannibalism, just gave us another branch to the story). I also enjoyed “Bates Motel”, for much the same reason. “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” was excellent, can’t wait for the sequel to the prequel (wonder if there’ll be a remake?). One film that could do with a remake is “Alien” ;)

On a side note, what do we classify “Batman Begins” as?

On another side note, I think it’s worth noting that not all remakes are actually remakes. Take “Carrie” for example. The new movie isn’t a remake of the Brian De Palma film; it’s just another version of the Stephen King novel. You know, nobody ever calls Peter Jacksons “Lord of the Rings” a remake of the 1978 animated film. Nobody considers “Red Dragon” (starring Anthony Hopkins) a remake of “Manhunter”. We just seem to use whatever term we see fit. But, whatever…

if I were a rich and famous director, I would try to get the rights for a reboot of barbarella with scarlett johansson

Originally Posted by richy
A Serenity sequel would be nice. A Hellboy sequel would be nice. Harry Potter sequels could be nice. But probably sans quidditch sequences, thank you. A sequel to Terminator: Salvation would be nice.

A new Harry Potter book is being written that doesn't have the characters in it but it is set in the same universe - they may adapt it to a movie at some point. As for Hellboy, the second film was much better in my opinion than the first and I would definitely be up for a third. Hopefully the new Terminator film has a thread connecting it to Salvation.

Originally Posted by moonshieldmedia
There are many unfortunate and unnecessary ones, but every once in a while, new technology or a unique filmmaker can put a different spin on it that makes it work. Tron Legacy would be a recent example in my opinion.

In general I'm not too interested in sequels because the films that I think are the most beautiful tend to stand alone. The films that get sequels (nowadays at least) tend to be mindless entertainment, but even if I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride, the 2nd time around it looses a bit of the spectacle for me.

BUT

I was thinking recently about my all-time favorite trilogy, Back to the Future, and even though I think it ended beautifully, it might be really fun to pick that story back up again with just the Doc. Christopher Lloyd is still a fantastic actor who could carry a film on his own. The only way to take the story to the next level would be to explore the extremes of time travel, very very distant futures and ancient pasts. It would look amazing with modern technology and could even be a little darker, while keeping the original comedic charm. Just a thought.

Tron Legacy was a good movie. It was great to see the world of Tron be updated as if it were like a new Operating System. The only weakness I remember is some of the CG shots of the young version of Jeff Bridges but other than that I really enjoyed it.

I like your Back to the Future sequel idea. I think another approach would be to have Marty and Jennifer's son be the centre of the story. But instead of having Michael J Fox portray the role with CG to make him younger, have a new actor play the part. You could get away with it because the events of Back to the Future III created a new timeline.

Marty's son discovers a mix-tape of his father's that has a couple of songs he recorded on guitar when he was a teenager. He goes and shows his father and Marty tells him that when he was his age he wanted to be a Rock Star but that he's happy with his current job - what that is I don't know but it makes Marty's son think: "Man, if only dad had become a Rock Star, we'd all be famous"

Then all you would need is a way for Doc, Clara, Jules and Verne to show up, maybe just to visit Marty and Jennifer. Perhaps they haven't seen each other for a very long time and in the meantime Marty and Jennifer had their son. So Marty's son is amazed to see the time travelling train and when Doc and his family leave, Marty's son sneaks on board the machine realising what he can do. He remains undetected and uses the time machine to go back to when his father was a teenager.

Now you could get very complicated here and do something similar to Back to the Future II where Marty interacts with his self from 1985 that is stranded in 1955. Instead in this case Marty's son travels to 1985 to try and intervene with his father's life. Unfortunately he makes a mistake that creates a timeline where his parents are practically homeless and Marty's son must rectify things.

Ultimately he fixes everything and learns that maybe you need to be grateful for what you do have.

This story could do a few things:

1) Michael J Fox wouldn't be needed for the whole film.
2) Older fans will get a lot fun out of the nods and references to the Back to the Future trilogy.
3) Potential for more films that follow Marty's son.
4) For 80s buffs to get nostalgic with the segment of the film set in 1985

Originally Posted by mad_hatter
Remakes, by definition, need to follow the same storyline as the original source material (plot points can differ, but the overall story has to be the same). If they don’t, they aren’t a remake. For example, “The Texas Chansaw Massacre” and “Friday the 13th” aren’t really remakes; the term “reboot” sits much better. That said, off the top of my head, I can’t think of any film I’d like to see remade.

As for sequels, I’m a horror fan, so I’d be more than happy to see sequels to some of the franchises (which, we no doubt will). A new “Friday…”, “Nightmare….”, “Chainsaw…” and “Halloween” could be good. They could also be terrible. Either way, I’ll take it.

Prequels are difficult. It’s hard to imagine a prequel to any movie, really. Most films don’t have unexplained back stories. If it’s not shown on film, it’s irrelevant. That, or we’re told what we need to know through the narrative. IMHO, the absolute worst prequel has to have been “Hannibal Rising” (even though it was based on the book (the book having been forced by the movie studio)). To give such a pathetic and unnecessary back story to such an iconic psychopath was just horrendous. That said, the TV show “Hannibal” was great (didn’t try to explain the cannibalism, just gave us another branch to the story). I also enjoyed “Bates Motel”, for much the same reason. “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” was excellent, can’t wait for the sequel to the prequel (wonder if there’ll be a remake?). One film that could do with a remake is “Alien”

On a side note, what do we classify “Batman Begins” as?

On another side note, I think it’s worth noting that not all remakes are actually remakes. Take “Carrie” for example. The new movie isn’t a remake of the Brian De Palma film; it’s just another version of the Stephen King novel. You know, nobody ever calls Peter Jacksons “Lord of the Rings” a remake of the 1978 animated film. Nobody considers “Red Dragon” (starring Anthony Hopkins) a remake of “Manhunter”. We just seem to use whatever term we see fit. But, whatever…

I liked the Texas Chainsaw Massacre reboot. I have to watch the Friday the 13th reboot again because the first time I watched it I wasn't really paying much attention. I too would like to see more entries in these franchises.

I would classify Batman Begins the same way you classify Carrie (2013). Batman Begins is just another adaptation of the Batman character based on the source material. This is the same thinking I wish all the people behind the Total Recall remake adhered to because just taking every single beat out of the original and putting it in a new film with updated special effects isn't productive. Especially in the case of the Total Recall remake with the female alien with the extra...;) which in the context of the film not taking place on Mars, thereby not being a mutant, makes her appearance redundant.

Somewhere maybe twenty to thirty years from now someone else will do a version of Lord of the Rings and so audiences of that time will probably discuss whether it's a remake or just another adaptation of Lord of the Rings.

Who knows, we might even be discussing the same thing on here during that time :D

I would classify Batman Begins the same way you classify Carrie (2013). Batman Begins is just another adaptation of the Batman character based on the source material.

That's fair enough; you're absolutely right.

But is it not also a prequel? And, to be clear, I'm talking about it being a prequel to Tim Burtons' "Batman", not "The Dark Knight". The tone of the movie, the look of Gotham, the fact that Bruce can actually summon bats.... It seems clear that it is a prequel to "Batman", at the same time as being a stand alone film (the first part in the Dark Knight trilogy), while also being a 'reboot', taken from the same source material...

Anyway... I'm also keen to know if "Man Of Steel 2" gets treated in any way as a sequel to "The Dark Knight Rises".

I'd do a Goonies sequel if I were able to get most/all of the original actors. I honestly think I could do something rather heartfelt and modern with those characters all grown up...

Originally Posted by mad hatter
That's fair enough; you're absolutely right.

But is it not also a prequel? And, to be clear, I'm talking about it being a prequel to Tim Burtons' "Batman", not "The Dark Knight". The tone of the movie, the look of Gotham, the fact that Bruce can actually summon bats.... It seems clear that it is a prequel to "Batman", at the same time as being a stand alone film (the first part in the Dark Knight trilogy), while also being a 'reboot', taken from the same source material...

Anyway... I'm also keen to know if "Man Of Steel 2" gets treated in any way as a sequel to "The Dark Knight Rises".

When you put it in that context I guess you could consider Batman Begins to be a prequel to the 1989 film in the sense that we see what makes Bruce come up with the idea of Batman because in the 1989 film he already is Batman.

I know that in one of the original scripts of the 1989 film there were scenes of Bruce training and learning all the skills he would later use as Batman. Robin was also in the film too at one stage before they cut him out.

It will be interesting to see if there's any link because as we know Nolan was involved in Man of Steel. However I think it's unlikely that would be the case, even though Affleck has said his Batman is older and could probably fit into that timeframe, I think it's going to be a Batman unrelated to Bale's rendition.

Originally Posted by Caidh Mor
I'd do a Goonies sequel if I were able to get most/all of the original actors. I honestly think I could do something rather heartfelt and modern with those characters all grown up...

That would definitely be the way to go by having the original Goonies as grown ups. It would be interesting to have a story where they all have children of their own and they all still live in the same town but their own children are beginning to get bored of the town thinking there's nothing to do there.

They have been told stories about what their parents did but they pass them off as just stories and don't believe their parents. But of course through the events of the story they get into their own adventure. Culminating in an ending where the original Goonies must help their children.

The Lady Vanishes is my #1 pick. So much could be done with it.
Bottle Rocket, only because I thought the film was terrible, which makes sense because Anderson was still developing his trademark style.
Dune would be great to remake as well/
Great Gatsby would be great as well. The Luhrmann version left a bad taste in my mouth.
Naked Lunch didn't really interest or entertain me. I'd like to make it the way I think it would have best been told.
Thinner is something I'd like to make as well. The movie DID NOT do the book justice at all.

That would definitely be the way to go by having the original Goonies as grown ups. It would be interesting to have a story where they all have children of their own and they all still live in the same town but their own children are beginning to get bored of the town thinking there's nothing to do there.

They have been told stories about what their parents did but they pass them off as just stories and don't believe their parents. But of course through the events of the story they get into their own adventure. Culminating in an ending where the original Goonies must help their children.

Nailed it!

Yeah, that seems pretty much the inevitable arch. Inevitable enough, at least, that it is just begging to be made...

I think all the studios should take a page out of Lionsgate's playbook of Dredd 2012 and just make new adventures like a new chapter in a hero's life in place of prequels, sequels, and remakes.

Some re-images haven't been bad, lately. Sleepy Hollow and Dracula TV series re-imaged for TV series are better than remake stories. Check them out.

@Caidh Mor

I think that while all the actors are still alive the issues that have been preventing this sequel from happening need to be fixed.

@Modern Day Myth

I'm still impressed when I think back on Dredd. I agree with you completely and this is what should have been done with Robocop.

I didn't mind some of the Sleepy Hollow episodes I watched, we only received that show in Australia late this year. I haven't seen anything of the Dracula TV series though, sounds interesting.

Star Wars. This is a prediction too:

There are a ton of books set in the Star Wars universe. I think they're going to make movies out of a lot of those stories. It's all just sitting there waiting to be a profitable movie. Then there's the Young Jedi Knights series; I bet that's going to make a ton of money. I hope they stick to the books because the stories are really good already. There's one about what happens to Boba Fett after he goes in the Sarlacc and stories about the x-wing fighters and Lando Calrissian. Anyway, if they stay true to the books those are going to be really good sequels and prequels!

I am looking forward to seeing what films outside of Episodes VII, VIII and IX are produced. It would be good to see a solo movie about Boba Fett. It would even be cool, and this is probably never gonna happen but it would be cool to see a movie about Obi-Wan Kenobi and his experiences between Episode III and IV, with Ewan McGregor reprising the role.

I heard they're doing solo movies for some Spiderman villains like Venom. I'm curious to see how they'll tell the stories focusing on the villain. Boba Fett would be the same way. Will they make them sympathetic? Will it just be darker? Will the "hero" be shown in a worse light?

Aren't child actors kind of tragic figures though? I think Corey Feldman might have a hard time coming across as heartfelt.

Well, I just looked up "goonies where are they now" - I guess most of them are doing pretty well. Having them be the parents could work.

Back