• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Prepare to be jealous.

Alright people, I don't usually do this but I thought you might want to know what the competition is up to. I have spent the last good chunk of life preparing for and executing my first feature length motion picture.

The fruits of my labour are now being previewed on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVn4S8Am1Y in the form of an online trailer.

I don't mean to say that the anyone's work is irrelevant compared to mine, but I think the trailer speaks for itself.

Prepare to be deeply moved.

htto://www.theforestforthetrees.net
http://www.facebook.com/TheForestfortheTrees?sk=wall

yeah, i get the impression that there's some sort of joke going on that I'm just not getting. Inside reference? Internet meme? Dunno.

That looks awesome. I can't wait to see it. Looks really emotional.

Looks almost as serious as this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

:D

Well what have you made?

Hey man. This is just the beginning. You're going to have to develop a very very tough skin my friend. It is best to ask people what they think is wrong with it, rather than engage then in a "lets see yours" competition. Most of us here can say the same things about each other's movies. So don't take things personally.

Just calm down. Go to bed. And calm down some more, then try to ask questions that will make your trailer better.

Best of luck.
Aveek

wtf did i just watch..

if its a parody comedy - i laughed.
if you re actually serious, then i laughed even harder!

a. Do NOT call yourself ground breaking director. If you were - you wouldnt be posting your movies on youtube.

b. revolutionary? game changing? easily the best indie ever made? please telll me you re not serious.

as i said - for comedy this is good. But for drama - oh my..

You set the bar impossibly high with your preface to the link. It's not bad, much worse stuff has been posted her and received no scorn. But you set yourself up.
The v/o is heavy handed and the v/o audio was weird. I'd start there.

The trailer did absolutely nothing for me, I just didn't get it. I have no idea if it's a comedy or some kind of horror or survival film. I have no desire to see the film whatsoever. All of the "praise" for the film seemed like gratuitous self aggrandizement since there were no attributons.

From a purely technical standpoint...

The VO sounds very phony, like you were trying too hard to make it sound like Don LaFontaine or James Earl Jones. It was either recorded in a room with the mic too far away or a reverb was put on it. It also sounded like it was pitched down to make it more ominous, and there seemed to be a phaser or chorus effect on it, although that may be due to the reverb and pitch-down; it just didn't work. Trailer VO should be very dry and compressed to put it in your face so it can rise above all of the other sound.

The dialog of the character also suffers from that "roomy" sound; he's supposed to be out in the woods and it sounds like he's indoors, it pulls you out of the space.

The mix was poor, the dialog level was up and down, the music had no impact and there was no other sound - no sound FX and no Foley.

Guys -- alandry is pulling your legs. There is no feature film. This is a spoof trailer, for a movie that doesn't exist. And, to be honest, it's not that funny. Sorry, alandry, absurd isn't always funny.

Guys -- alandry is pulling your legs. There is no feature film. This is a spoof trailer, for a movie that doesn't exist. And, to be honest, it's not that funny. Sorry, alandry, absurd isn't always funny.

I wonder how that flew over everyone's head.

On the other hand, the reactions in this thread were funny, even if vindictive. So, maybe he won.

From a purely technical standpoint...

The VO sounds very phony, like you were trying too hard to make it sound like Don LaFontaine or James Earl Jones. It was either recorded in a room with the mic too far away or a reverb was put on it. It also sounded like it was pitched down to make it more ominous, and there seemed to be a phaser or chorus effect on it, although that may be due to the reverb and pitch-down; it just didn't work. Trailer VO should be very dry and compressed to put it in your face so it can rise above all of the other sound.

The dialog of the character also suffers from that "roomy" sound; he's supposed to be out in the woods and it sounds like he's indoors, it pulls you out of the space.

The mix was poor, the dialog level was up and down, the music had no impact and there was no other sound - no sound FX and no Foley.

Some excellent pointers here...

Back