Pre-Production Software

Hullo-

I've started to go on a pre-production software hunt, and I've found some interesting and free (for the most part) software like Celtx.

Can anyone provide input on a certain pre-production software that you would recommend? Preferably free and downloadable (not browser-dependent). I'm open to any and all types, from writing software to project organizing software.

Thanks! :)

Mind mapping is great for project management/organization.

There are hundreds of different programs out there, I use Mindjet Mindmanger (I've also used Novamind and The Personal Brain). I'm sure a quick Google search should turn up some freeware.

I use Celtx for most of my pre-production stuff. That and old-fashioned hand-written notes. Celtx has pretty much everything you might need, though. And if you have an iPhone/iPad and subscribe to their Studio service ($5/month for up to 5 users), you can access everything on the go. It's honestly the reason I'm considering getting an iPhone when I upgrade my cell phone next month (I've been an Android fangirl since the first Moto Droid came out).

I use Celtx for most of my pre-production stuff. That and old-fashioned hand-written notes. Celtx has pretty much everything you might need, though. And if you have an iPhone/iPad and subscribe to their Studio service ($5/month for up to 5 users), you can access everything on the go. It's honestly the reason I'm considering getting an iPhone when I upgrade my cell phone next month (I've been an Android fangirl since the first Moto Droid came out).

Let me start out by saying I'm an Apple fiend. I've never not owned a mac and have had every single IPhone model that has been released.

BUT, if you really prefer the droid, you might be in luck. Sounds like the Celtx developers are seriously considering an Android app as soon as they see how well the new tablet platform performs.

http://forums.celtx.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15864

Let me start out by saying I'm an Apple fiend. I've never not owned a mac and have had every single IPhone model that has been released.

BUT, if you really prefer the droid, you might be in luck. Sounds like the Celtx developers are seriously considering an Android app as soon as they see how well the new tablet platform performs.

http://forums.celtx.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15864

Good to hear! I went with Android originally because AT&T has almost no service in my area, so I couldn't justify an iPhone (I'm a Mac user through-and-through).

I'm basically sponsored by Apple (well, I wish I was) and use iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac...etc.

Getting an iPhone for the CeltX app is 100% not worth it. There are real functionality issues with the app that make it pretty much impossible to effectively use in tandem with a computer.

That said- 80% of people who work on film sets (this is a guessed statistic) use the iPhone, simply because it has such awesome tools for filmmaking. I just don't consider CeltX one of them. But I still use it all the time for other things.

PS: I think Android sucks. :)

I'm basically sponsored by Apple (well, I wish I was) and use iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac...etc.

Getting an iPhone for the CeltX app is 100% not worth it. There are real functionality issues with the app that make it pretty much impossible to effectively use in tandem with a computer.

That said- 80% of people who work on film sets (this is a guessed statistic) use the iPhone, simply because it has such awesome tools for filmmaking. I just don't consider CeltX one of them. But I still use it all the time for other things.

PS: I think Android sucks. :)

Is that merely a personal opinion or an official "Anti-endorsement"? :lol:

Celtx is the best thing ever. I loveeeeeeeeee it. Scripts look great on it, and once you get used to it's key functions (switching from action to character to dialogue) it's very fast to write with

You can't really beat celtx.

Pre Production can also cover many other things.

For example, are you also looking for a scheduling software to keep track of hours and crew?

Budgeting and Tax Credits

If you're guys in pre-pro on a bigger budget film you'll probably run into using EP or CreditScout for budgeting and tax credit consideration.

Entertainment Partners puts out a bunch of products seen here:

http://www.entertainmentpartners.com/Content/Products/Products.aspx

Budgeting can run $400 though.

CreditScout is a great app for estimating tax credits in different states and in Canada that works with EP.

www.creditscoutapp.com

Celtx to Scenechronize

I use Celtx for PHASE I of pre-prod: script writing. Then I export the "typeset" script as PDF and import to Scenechronize for PHASE II of pre-prod: script breakdown, scheduling, various lists and stripboard. This combo works great. For a fee you can collaborate online with Celtx for script writing and for a fee you can collaborate online with Scenechronize for other aspects of pre-prod. Both online tools are free for single users -- basic package.

Back