Practical Effects Book?

Is there any great books that go deep into practical effects? any youtube channels or dvd's i could get. I know with some practical effects you can really just get creative or just do a google search on movie props or something. I think it would be cool to read a book that specifically dives into this and talks about tons of practical effects and how they were done. Not necessarily telling me step by step how to make them but just expanding my creative side. thanks for any replies.

Special Effects: How to Create a Hollywood Film Look on a Home Budget
Michael Slone

Techniques of Special Effects of Cinematography
Raymond Fielding (not what you were asking about, but you'll certainly learn a lot about trick photography).

Old issues of Cinefex provide some great ideas on how they did in-camera effects before it all went digital.

But if there's a specific effect you want to know more about, posting here will certainly provoke a series of good replies.

-Thomas

Last edited:
Is there any great books that go deep into practical effects? any youtube channels or dvd's i could get. I know with some practical effects you can really just get creative or just do a google search on movie props or something. I think it would be cool to read a book that specifically dives into this and talks about tons of practical effects and how they were done. Not necessarily telling me step by step how to make them but just expanding my creative side. thanks for any replies.

When you're referring to practical effects, are you referring more to tricks of cinematography (Miniatures, facades, forced perspective, et al) or Make-up effects?

This book is largely responsible for my life-long love of practical effects.

You can find it easily on ebay

Attachments

• jedi.jpg
    jedi.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 167
Back