Post Work Flow - Quick submission version vs. wasting money and duplicate efforts

I just finished doing the telecine transfer of a 35mm short and am looking to begin the editing process. My main priority is to pull together a submission version to meet a few upcoming festival deadlines and I'm not certain as to what kind of post workflow would best compromise my need to have a rough (tho submittable) version output to dvd/tape within a month or so and the eventual plan to take everything back to film for exhibition.

As it stands I have the transferred footage on Digibeta and DV(with windows). For the sound, I've got non-timecoded DATs that I need to synch up somewhere along the line. I am considering just getting everything into a FCP or Avid, synching the sound manually, layering in some additional sound design, and then outputting in order to have a submission version ready super quick.

As I am on an extremely limited budget, however, I don't want to duplicate a lot of work I will have to do later when I do an exhibition quality video version (taking it back through a tape to tape transfer) or go back to film (synching it all with the original neg, which is gonna req timecode on the audio, plus other considerations).

Any suggestions on how to get a quick version without wasting a lot of money that I will have to spend again later when I do the final exhibition version??? Sound I take the time to dub the DATS now and add a timecode as I will eventually need it to go back to film. Lots of questions as this is my first project and I'm pretty much running solo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back