Possibly have some publicity coming my way

It won't be much, but I've only released films with little/no promotion. However, I recently won Canon's Eyecon competition. Supposedly Canon will be promoting the film a bit, and I have an interview with New Zealand's photography magazine lined up.

Question is, how do I capitalise on this very minor publicity? I figure I should make a facebook page for starters. Given it's just me, should I be "making" a production company page (maybe a bit dumb when it is just me) or should I just call it "[my name] films"? Any other advice? What else should I be doing?

I'm truly clueless with this!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

It won't be much, but I've only released films with little/no promotion. However, I recently won Canon's Eyecon competition. Supposedly Canon will be promoting the film a bit, and I have an interview with New Zealand's photography magazine lined up.

Question is, how do I capitalise on this very minor publicity? I figure I should make a facebook page for starters. Given it's just me, should I be "making" a production company page (maybe a bit dumb when it is just me) or should I just call it "[my name] films"? Any other advice? What else should I be doing?

I'm truly clueless with this!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

First off...well done mate, sincerely, I am stoked for you, you beauty!!!!

Onto business
Yes, as others have said, start a production page even if only on a free site (such as weeble) or better yet on facebook so that you can monitor likes, have people share your status, and you can keep people updated on future projects. The bonus of this which I find is a HUGE biggie, is that people are strangely lazy when it comes to going to a site they have never visited before, and they are inclined to quickly forget it in the hum-drum of every day life. By having a facebook page, people following you get updated every time your page posts something new, which prompts them to keep track of what you are up to, without them having to navigate to a different website just to check on whats new.

Not meaning to self promote here but feel free to take a look at my fb page if it helps
https://www.facebook.com/fantasyfilmsNZ

Now, another smart move would be to create a youtube page under the same name, along with a twitter account and any other form of online media that assists you in helping people find, follow, and view your work. Also an email address (gmail) would come with your youtube account, which is another way for movie people to contact you.

The biggie here before doing any of that however, is making sure that the name for your production company is not being used already. You don't want the headache of having to change everything later if you inadvertently tread on somebody elses brand.

Lastly, go to New Zealands companies page and make sure that your proposed production company name is available (link below) and purchase the company name. You don't HAVE to do this right away as once you start using the name it is technically protected under international copyright law, but it doesn't hurt to get it in the bag now if you can afford it.
http://www.business.govt.nz/companies/

Hope this helps bud. Keep us posted on when the interview goes out so we can see you in all your technicolor awesomeness :) Well done :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I don't know if it'd be worth the effort and whatnot to create a website, given most traffic would come via fb/youtube/vimeo?

Can anyone try and give me some pros and cons for creating a 'production company' vs a "[my name] films" page?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I don't know if it'd be worth the effort and whatnot to create a website, given most traffic would come via fb/youtube/vimeo?

Can anyone try and give me some pros and cons for creating a 'production company' vs a "[my name] films" page?

Professionalism...people like to deal with a company as it gives a perception of solidity. Something that is concrete and can be relied upon. People don't trust people in the same way. Plus until you are a big name, a household name, you are just another name able to be forgotten, the same is true to an extent with a company but people tend to take more notice of a company name. Case in point. You get two letters in the mail. One from Lionsgate films, and another from for instance a guy named Jon Feltheimer...both letters are saying that they have seen your script or what have you and want to take your movie global. Which one will you pick?.....some random guy named Jon, or the big company that you have heard of before? Obvious choice right....but heres the thing. In 2000 at least, Jon was the ceo of lionsgate films. Ever heard of him before? I certainly hadn't until I googled to find out. Lionsgate films I don't need to google. I've seen their brand on movies.

FB is the right choice.

Send press releases to the newspapers yourself.
Don't promote yourself too much, keep it factional.
A little bit of background info on you and your project.
'Interview' yourself about making the movie and add positive quotes from Canon.
And of course something about the future: where can people see it?
Or buy it?
What is your next plan?
Etc...

You 100% need a website if you don't have one already. If you don't have any design/development knowledge then somewhere like http://www.squarespace.com/ is a good place to go. If you do get a squarespace website, or any other service, you need to get your own domain. There's nothing worse than something.squarespace.com.

Optional: Set up Google Analytics so you can monitor traffic on the website.

Set your Facebook and Twitter up and add the links to it on your website. Whatever name you decide to go with use the same everywhere.

If you need some graphic work you could head over to somewhere like http://fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design to get some cheap work done.

Upload your work somewhere (I would use Vimeo over Youtube), embed the video somewhere on your homepage.

Then fill your website with content. (interviews, articles etc). If you write articles make sure they are informative and helpful, you want people to share them. Share all new content on your social media outlets.

Then just engage with people through social media.

Job done.

...ish.

Last edited:
Back