Possible Horror Competition

Hi Guys

It's been a strange week and part of that strangeness is that a UK TV company has approached me and asked me whether I'd like to organise a Horror Short Film Competition.

The basic idea is that people from around the world would submit horror shorts or featurettes, the best of which would be shown as part of the show. The films would have to produced to broadcast standards and have contracts in place for all music used and performances.

A group of established horror directors would judge the finalists and decide on a winner.

The winner would win something (To be decided)

I know what the broadcaster wants from it, because there would be no fees paid to the filmmakers for the broadcast. However, this guy genuinely wants to expose new talent to audiences and to the industry. He's not just looking for cheap programming.

I like the guy and am considering it, but I'd like to get an idea of how many people there are out there who would submit their horror short to something like this.

Talk to me

I don't work in the horror genre myself, but I know many indies who do. I think you'd get a very positive response if you held a short film comp.

If you do, please let us know. I'd like to forward the info. :)

Would STCL be considered Horror in any way? I approached it as SciFi/Horror.

I want the entrance criteria to be as broad as possible, so I think yes. I just want to find an audience for lots of great films. The horror genre is quite broad. I think the more variety the better.

You said featurettes ... what would be your definition of that? 40 to 60 minutes?

Also, board member JReel is a friend of mine, and he has a very interesting Horror Feature titled Dawn, is there any chance you could play Dawn as a two parter ... if it were accepted that is.

Poke

I've been thinking about doing something in the horror genre, perhaps I'll have to revisit those thoughts and see what I can work up.

Back