• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Portfolio Advice?

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of applying to film schools in the US. In my creative submission I am asked to supply an original work. I cannot decide which of my movies to submit and which would give the best impression of my abilities. Below I have linked two of my movies. One is a music video contest submission, while the other is a more of a short film. Any advice on my submission would be great. I am looking for all the help I can get including suggestions or criticism. Thank you in advance!

http://vimeo.com/61594955
http://vimeo.com/61594954

Last edited:
I'ld prefer the music video to send in. It was the first of the two I watched and it kinda wowed me.
I didn't watched the short film all the way through (due to lack of time). The short film was also very nice and I think you're really good with music in it.
As you have to make a choice between the two, I'ld say the music video looks more professional and the short film slightly more amateuristic (maybe because there is not always a color correction in the short. I really like those in films and make it look more professional). (But still, wow and you're prob only 18 years old). The music vid also showes that you can do all types of special effects. Whatever you sent in or the result of your application may be: you surely have the skills to get in and you deserve it.

Could you tell me how you learned all of this? From tutorials on the internet, a club, at your school?

The best of luck
Muzikath,
Self tought, Amateur

I'ld prefer the music video to send in. It was the first of the two I watched and it kinda wowed me.
I didn't watched the short film all the way through (due to lack of time). The short film was also very nice and I think you're really good with music in it.
As you have to make a choice between the two, I'ld say the music video looks more professional and the short film slightly more amateuristic (maybe because there is not always a color correction in the short. I really like those in films and make it look more professional). (But still, wow and you're prob only 18 years old). The music vid also showes that you can do all types of special effects. Whatever you sent in or the result of your application may be: you surely have the skills to get in and you deserve it.

Thank you for the advice and your kind words. I made the short freshman year of high school and the music video senior year. In terms of where I learned to make them, I mostly learned the editing programs through experimentation over the years. The actual shots from my movie are mostly inspired by other filmmakers I had seen. Ultimately, though, I have yet to have any schooling on filmmaking. Again thank you for the advice you really helped push me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back