Please Watch My Movie

I think the whole scenarios of what other people think about the films you make can be a dangerous path to dwell on. After all, if you get too caught up on what you think other people want you to make rather than making what you want to make you're being no better than the drugdes and drains of Hollywood, and you're certainly not being 'Independent' which is the purest form of film making.

Of course there's a sensible distinction between making what other people want to you to make, and making something in a way that is marketable to an audience. There are elements of film that can be highly opinionated, highly disputed, etc... but there will always be, because it's art and as an art form it remains and will always remain undefined. Especially when it comes to narratives and directing!

The problem with creativity is that many many people think they know best ;)

Cinema is where art meets business head on. It's a collision that can cause many fatalities or a beautiful rainbow that lives well beyond the lifetime of anyone involved.

When a film evokes emotion, it causes conversation. When you look at the great films that we still honor today, many of them had bad reviews, when someone has an opinion, good or bad about my work, it goes into a file in my head. But I never allow it to affect my decisions as a filmmaker.

Movies are freedom for me, freedom to be selfish, freedom to express, freedom to be free. It is pure joy and no one can taint that for me, and I hope for no one else here. I believe that's why we trudge this road that can be thankless, cruel and devastating. Because when it all comes together it is pure joy!!!!!

Peace,
Redemption

Redemption

I've just watched Redemption.

This is an impressive piece of film making and I would recommend anyone interested in film making should watch it, if only to see how good HD can look, if handled well.

I think what I really liked about his film was the quality of the dialogue. Sean has a real feel for character and I thought the performances were excellent.

The other thing I really liked about Redemption was it's commitment to truthful film making. This is a very honest film. There is no attempt force the viewer to adopt an easy moral stance, the film has no hero or villan. It's just people, being people and as such there is good and bad in each of them. Having been brought up on Hollywood's constant diet of easy answers, this film is bold in allowing people to make their own minds up. In many respects it feels more European.

I'm glad I've seen this film and am looking forwards to seeing whatever Sean makes next.

Re: Redemption

clive said:
I've just watched Redemption.

This is an impressive piece of film making and I would recommend anyone interested in film making should watch it, if only to see how good HD can look, if handled well.

I think what I really liked about his film was the quality of the dialogue. Sean has a real feel for character and I thought the performances were excellent.

The other thing I really liked about Redemption was it's commitment to truthful film making. This is a very honest film. There is no attempt force the viewer to adopt an easy moral stance, the film has no hero or villan. It's just people, being people and as such there is good and bad in each of them. Having been brought up on Hollywood's constant diet of easy answers, this film is bold in allowing people to make their own minds up. In many respects it feels more European.

I'm glad I've seen this film and am looking forwards to seeing whatever Sean makes next.

Sounds good. I'll try to check it out.

Finally got my copy of Redemption

I recommend everyone check it out. And I think everyone who sees it, if they want to help Sean out, they should post a review on IMDB, Amazon or other places.

Clive is right on, when he says this is a great example of what is capable with HD. There are a few scenes where you can see where you'd likely get more range in the blacks with film, but there are many scenes where I doubt I could tell the difference between it and 35mm.

Back