• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Please check out my youtube action movie.Just want some constructive crit

For so much time I had this film on my mind that I wanted to make but I procrastinated so much so one day I just said "lets do it" and I just took my camera got my friends and with no storyboard or script just filmed.Lighting is off sometimes and overall it looks homemade for sure(I'm only seventeen and this is my first movie made ever)but Im still wondering if there are some good concepts and ideas.Whats cool,funny,lame,bad,overdone,unique,smart ect.I would appreciate comments in the youtube page most so my friends can see it as well.I recently got interested in filmaking and maybe will go to university in arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F8R1okfzjU

I think this is a good exercise for you to take on. It will teach you about all the things that make an entertaining film, as well as film technique.

At the level you're at, naturally you understand that the technical level is on the home-movie side of things. The camera, the lighting, the movement...also, your story is stereotypical and blown-up (which is OK...but it's just too cliche, and doesn't have any individual style).

Keep practicing. Go to school for film making. Read many books. Get equipment when you can. Meet other film makers that can contribute talent and equipment. Keep making movies. Watch movies...lots of them. Mimic good shots and lighting scenarios.

An example of shots that are messy and need to be cleaned-up is the shot where he grabs the guns on the bed, and cocks them. On both of the shots where the character cocks the guns, the cock action is off-frame. That's the point of the shot...to get the cocking in there. But both end up off-screen. Be sure when you do a shot like this, you frame it properly...the action should not be implied (in this case)...the action should be there on frame.

Below is the time signature of those shots...

00:57

I just wanted to give one example. Have fun making films. Practice practice practice.

Last edited:
I think this is a good exercise for you to take on. It will teach you about all the things that make an entertaining film, as well as film technique.

At the level you're at, naturally you understand that the technical level is on the home-movie side of things. The camera, the lighting, the movement...also, your story is stereotypical and blown-up (which is OK...but it's just too cliche, and doesn't have any individual style).

Keep practicing. Go to school for film making. Read many books. Get equipment when you can. Meet other film makers that can contribute talent and equipment. Keep making movies. Watch movies...lots of them. Mimic good shots and lighting scenarios.

An example of shots that are messy and need to be cleaned-up is the shot where he grabs the guns on the bed, and cocks them. On both of the shots where the character cocks the guns, the cock action is off-frame. That's the point of the shot...to get the cocking in there. But both end up off-screen. Be sure when you do a shot like this, you frame it properly...the action should not be implied (in this case)...the action should be there on frame.

Below is the time signature of those shots...

00:57

I just wanted to give one example. Have fun making films. Practice practice practice.

Thank you so much man.The story was definatly cheesy but I really had no ideas and wanted to focus more on the camera work and action.Thanks for the constructive criticism.I didn't notice this even when I had the perfect gun cocking action in my head it didn't work out how I planed I guess.But thanks for the advice and comment.Really appreciated

Back