• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Pilot aiming for NETFLIX!

Hey there!
Last October we shot a black comedy pilot called “CLOWNE”, and we’re proud to finally present a trailer for your eyeball’s enjoyment! :) As we’re currently going to High School, we hope this might give us a shot at film school.

Clowne_zpsa9ae3768.jpg

Watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCLg4w2i6Lc

The story is about Gary Clowne, a man who has to spend the next three years of his life as a clown, in order to fulfill his community service. And worst part is: the man who puts him to work has misunderstood what a clown is all about, which leads to terribly wrong scenarios for poor Gary, as he suddenly has to entertain at funerals, nursing homes and well… you name it.

Clowne is a dark comedy with aspects from The Big Lebowski, In Bruges and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It doesn’t take itself very seriously, yet it centers on a strict storyline carefully plotted out. Although not a sitcom, the show features laughs and is a joyful roller coaster of crazy characters.

“Clowne" offers a new take on what is quickly becoming a trendy wave of ever-changing TV shows, and has the quality of a feature film, rather than mass produced content. It stands out from the crowd, which was the ideal purpose of this production.

I hope you enjoy the trailer! Help us spread the word by sharing, tweeting or liking the link!
Find us on Facebook for weekly updates: www.facebook.com/JARANDandJENS

This pilot does not have a producer or a studio attached, so if you’re in the industry, reach out to us!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Jarand Breian Herdal

It's looks very good, though it does feel like something is a little off. I cannot quite put my finger on it.

I wish you luck and would like to hear more news of your success!

I'm impressed. Solid sound, good edit, good cinematography, some of the most professional looking work I'v seen in a while here on IT. Acting is also solid but probably the weakest link, some lines were a bit.. acted :P But I loved it.

Absolutely loved the shot at 0:42, fabulous work! Good luck getting it distributed.

As we’re currently going to High School, we hope this might give us a shot at film school.

Seriously, don't waste your time & money, just keep doing what you're doing. I think most people coming out of film school would be glad to have something that looks as good as this - I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the full pilot.

This is really excellent, just like most of your work. Your technical ability is great, but your handling of the material is also way beyond your years.

The only thing that stood out for me in that trailer is that your lead actor appeared to struggle with the lines a few times. Other than that, it was ace.

Wow, thanks a lot guys! This feedback is way beyond what I expected. Thought the humor would divide audiences, and some would just not be in on the game at all. But hey, so glad to hear that I might have been a little wrong :) One quesion to all the masses: did you get the story and everything?

It's looks very good, though it does feel like something is a little off. I cannot quite put my finger on it.

I wish you luck and would like to hear more news of your success!

I think I know what you mean, and would love to hear back from you if you figure out that "little thing", because that might help us in the actual pilot!

I'm impressed. Solid sound, good edit, good cinematography, some of the most professional looking work I'v seen in a while here on IT. Acting is also solid but probably the weakest link, some lines were a bit.. acted :P But I loved it.

Absolutely loved the shot at 0:42, fabulous work! Good luck getting it distributed.

Hey thanks, means a lot! Hm, I'll work on that! (0:42 is my favorite as well!)

how the hell are you in highschool and know how to do professional cinematography? :(

Haha, I take that as a HUGE compliment! We just light things till they're pretty :lol: The whole point of Clowne's cinematography was to portray the mood of a circus, or a play, as it reflects the clown character quite well. In the pilot, the lighting is very "normal" until he puts on his clown make-up, then everything goes crazy on the contrasts and colors. Hoping to make it a "gimmick"

Seriously, don't waste your time & money, just keep doing what you're doing. I think most people coming out of film school would be glad to have something that looks as good as this - I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the full pilot.

Thanks for such kind words. We're incredibly unsure about film school all of the sudden, as everybody says exactly that: don't waste your time. Haha, We'll see! If this gets distributed, it might not be a point ^^

This is really excellent, just like most of your work. Your technical ability is great, but your handling of the material is also way beyond your years.

The only thing that stood out for me in that trailer is that your lead actor appeared to struggle with the lines a few times. Other than that, it was ace.

Thank you, appreciate it! We're just making the movies we'd like to see :) Oh really? Where exactly? We might have a different version of that, if it sticks out I mean.

Thanks again!
All the best,
Jarand

Where exactly? We might have a different version of that, if it sticks out I mean.

Thanks again!
All the best,
Jarand

For me, mostly the "That fucking employer" and the "You call that work?"-lines. I don't know. It sounds a bit off, could be the acting, could be the lines themselves, not an expert on this.

All in all, again, amazing piece of work. And I agree with the rest of the people here, you're probably already above the level of most film schools, set the bar higher.

If you ever need some CG based effects work done, feel free to PM me anytime. Would love to work on something like this.

Really impressive piece of work - if I'd stumbled across this as being a trailer for a new Netflix show I would not have had any reason to doubt it.

One question though (although I should probably wait to see the pilot to find out)... why does he end up a clown? It's not just a coincidence with his name, right?

I do believe that if you had Spielberg's camera, that wouldn't make you shoot at his same level, but I have for sure, that your 5#!+ would look much better. So it would be great if you gave us details of the gear and budget that you guys had for this!

I do believe that if you had Spielberg's camera, that wouldn't make you shoot at his same level

I am not saying that. I know that those guys are probably crazy talented.

What I am saying though is that because of lack of experience and shooting with cheap gear most of the high school students can't produce anything great as far as cinematography goes.

I have worked with a RED and it is hard not to love the image!

Really terrific! Great concept, looking forward to watching the full pilot.

Re "fucking employer": for whatever reason, I think "employer " is just not a word used in conversation in this context. I'd suggest boss, client, or just "fucking idiot" - the fact that he's the person who hired Clowne is clear from the next line.

Good luck!

I dont know how much help you have had, I dont know if your telling the truth, I dont know how much of what we see is really you, but i do know one thing...

if everything of what i saw on your vimeo channel is mostly your own doing.... you are probably the most talented person in this forum Director wise..

there are some things which you lack, which for me is spark, you have the cool factor but you need the spark, it shows in what you have shown so far, maybe people will disagree with me but i can see something missing, when you find out how to implement the spark, then you will truly be great.

Oh wow, again, this is really overwhelming Thank you all for such nice feedback, the entire team is very pleased and I'm very grateful for all good and bad words we've gotten so far :)!

There seem to some confusion wheter we actually made this or not, so I can confirm that: yes, this is all ours.

I wrote and directed this pilot and was the lead producer. Along with my crazily talented crew of 7 same-aged crew members, we set out to do what people say is "stupid" in our age, haha :) We had a clear vision which got us through, and a very clear idea of how the cinematography was going to look like - the idea was to separate ourselves from the typical sitcom.
We have a terrific colorist who graded this trailer with my partner Jens (Director of Photography), a kick-ass sound-mixer and a professional composer to make the awesome royalty free music.
The story, images, editing, directing, production design, costumes... you name it, is all us.

The budget was $10 000. We could not afford to pay any actors, but since it was a pilot (and a potential series might give them work for a long time) they all agreed to do it non-profit (thank you!).
However, last year we made Norway's first sci-fi feature film (EVERYWHEN: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2715556/?ref_=nv_sr_1), which made me the youngest director in the country. It was released in 11 countries internationally this February, and will be up in 57 countries on iTunes, probably this April. Because of this, a company in Norway decided to sponsor our production with a RED ONE (the entire pilot) and a RED EPIC (for the intro-sequence), along with dollies and lights, because they believed in us. The deal was that if this turns into a proper series, we'll rent from them.
However, we were a crew of max 8 people + actors on set, haha^^ So it was a bunch of work, but hey, we're pretty happy with the results so far. So it's worth it, right? I don't believe equipment makes better film, but I do believe that equipment helps get to the point where story is in focus, rather than questioning whether the film is in HD or not.

So thank you, it means a lot! Check us out on facebook for updates and goodies: https://www.facebook.com/JARANDandJENS

-Jarand

Dude, that's higher quality work than what 90% of film school graduates are doing.:) You could try getting into the top American schools like USC and AFI.

Thank you! You don't happen to have an example of some "graduate" film from a film school on YouTube or anything? Would love to check it out!

For me, mostly the "That fucking employer" and the "You call that work?"-lines. I don't know. It sounds a bit off, could be the acting, could be the lines themselves, not an expert on this.

All in all, again, amazing piece of work. And I agree with the rest of the people here, you're probably already above the level of most film schools, set the bar higher.

If you ever need some CG based effects work done, feel free to PM me anytime. Would love to work on something like this.

That makes sense. We had to do some ADR-work on those lines for them to work in the trailer, which might be why they feel a little "off". Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. Hey of course, do you have a link with some of your work? We need CG artists 24/7!

Really impressive piece of work - if I'd stumbled across this as being a trailer for a new Netflix show I would not have had any reason to doubt it.

One question though (although I should probably wait to see the pilot to find out)... why does he end up a clown? It's not just a coincidence with his name, right?

That actually means a lot. Thanks! We're going to try to get in touch with them, God it would be cool. Haha, you said it; can't spoil that moment! You'll just have to wait and see :) Thanks!

What sort of a budget did you have?

I do believe that if you had Spielberg's camera, that wouldn't make you shoot at his same level, but I have for sure, that your 5#!+ would look much better. So it would be great if you gave us details of the gear and budget that you guys had for this!

Hey guys, answered your question in the beginning of this post - hope it helps a little!

Really terrific! Great concept, looking forward to watching the full pilot.

Re "fucking employer": for whatever reason, I think "employer " is just not a word used in conversation in this context. I'd suggest boss, client, or just "fucking idiot" - the fact that he's the person who hired Clowne is clear from the next line.

Good luck!

That makes sense, haha, never thought of it like that. Hm, I'll see what I can do about the pilot itself, might be able to save that moment. Anything that ruins the illusion needs to "fixed", so thanks for pointing it out!

I dont know how much help you have had, I dont know if your telling the truth, I dont know how much of what we see is really you, but i do know one thing...

if everything of what i saw on your vimeo channel is mostly your own doing.... you are probably the most talented person in this forum Director wise..

there are some things which you lack, which for me is spark, you have the cool factor but you need the spark, it shows in what you have shown so far, maybe people will disagree with me but i can see something missing, when you find out how to implement the spark, then you will truly be great.

I don't know what to say, that is really overwhelmingly nice! I've been on this forum for quite some time and have received help from all over the world, in which I'm eternally grateful for. I think I know what you mean about that "spark", which is why I'm thinking about film school. I feel like I still have SO much to learn, and I hope I manage to get to the "heart" with Clowne.. But hey, you never know. I'll keep this in mind, perfect self-improvement question. Thanks:)

Again, thanks a lot!
-Jarand B. Herdal

Back