• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

permissions (it's been done)

as an odd first project, doing an episodic semi-fictional documentary about an interest of mine. (long story.) it's strictly non-profit (and non-budget), and i'm planning on broadcasting it on veoh, google video, torrents etc.

i'm really interested in using a lot of my favorite industrial/ebm/darkwave music as a score. it fits with the theme and would really solidify the aesthetic of the entire project.

now, i've read a bit about acquiring licences, sync/mechanical etc. however, i've seen certain similar projects do the same thing, but i can't imagine they paid royalties, as i know they're also on a tight budget. (patrolling with sean kennedy, if you've seen it)

i'm guessing they contacted the artists and were granted gratis licenses? can anyone give insight on this? how would i approach asking them for permission? formal? informal? format? medium? i literally know nothing about this.

i COULD compose the score myself as a last resort. but a lot of this music expresses the exact emotions and feelings i'd like to portray and i'd really rather have it as an asset.

any thoughts, questions appreciated.

You need permission from the owner of the recording. This info can be found by searching for the song at ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC, but they do not handle synchronization licensing, so you need to contact the owner directly. You won't pay royalties, you will pay a one-time fee.

Back