• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Panasonic GH2 vs Canon 650d

So I've been researching the internet for the last few days. I want to go the DSLR route as I would like to take some decent pictures with the camera I'm investing in.

So after some research, I have come to the conclusion of buying the GH2 or 650d. I'm just wondering with the Digic 5 processor in the 650d, if it was to be hacked or anything could it expand the possibilities that is already available and become better?
I know the GH2 is sharper but I don't see a dramatic difference.

So what do you lot think?

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was looking at the 600d too. But 650d supposedly has less noise? Anyone tested this?

Iv not heard this tbh, all Iv heard is that the 650d is overrated overpriced and to be honest you could probably get a 600d/550d with a samyang 35mm video lens, which would probably beat the 650d with a kit lens..

I have the 600d and I only experience some noise when shooting indoors with home lighting..

When outside there's no noise at all..

Iv not heard this tbh, all Iv heard is that the 650d is overrated overpriced and to be honest you could probably get a 600d/550d with a samyang 35mm video lens, which would probably beat the 650d with a kit lens..

I have the 600d and I only experience some noise when shooting indoors with home lighting..

When outside there's no noise at all..

I agree. The ONLY real advantage in the 650D is the automatic focus which would be useful for quick shooting. Most of my productions I use manual anyway so the extra $300-400 (AU) isn't worth it in my eyes

Ive got the 600D and love it... noise is only an issue if you make it, proper lighting or correct lenses etc should reduce noise considerably.

There is no way i would go for a 650D like others have said, they have had bad reviews... hey if you dont want a swivel out screen i would even go for the 550D, you could pick up one quite cheap now.

The GH2 and 600d/650D are so similar anyway... so go with the one you feel most comfortable with... me personally I didnt like the GH2 as it felt too small in my hand... that was the only reason! haha

Well that's not really available yet in stores. And it costs near double the 600D or GH2. It's a great camera though! I'd love to buy one if there was an electronic adapter with which I could use my Canon lenses. But no luck so far.

Red Rock has had one for a while. EOS -> MFT, electronic iris control.

http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

Not that I'm advocating for the GH3 in this particular discussion, just letting you know such a thing exists. IMO if you want the MFT sensor, just get a gh2 and hack it rather than waiting for the 3.

Red Rock has had one for a while. EOS -> MFT, electronic iris control.

http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

Not that I'm advocating for the GH3 in this particular discussion, just letting you know such a thing exists. IMO if you want the MFT sensor, just get a gh2 and hack it rather than waiting for the 3.

Oh nice I stand corrected. Unfortunately that only supports Aperture and that is great for filmmakers exclusively but I started out with stills and continue today taking photos. If only that supported AF and stabilization. Metabones has a good one with all that for Canon to NEX. Hopefully they come out with a M43 version.

Also, I don't really want a M43 sensor. I actually consider that a negative. I do want high quality video and 1080p 60p, in a body that also takes amazing stills. The GH3 is alone there.

Last edited:
Oh nice I stand corrected. Unfortunately that only supports Aperture and that is great for filmmakers exclusively but I started out with stills and continue today taking photos. If only that supported AF and stabilization. Metabones has a good one with all that for Canon to NEX. Hopefully they come out with a M43 version.

Also, I don't really want a M43 sensor. I actually consider that a negative. I do want high quality video and 1080p 60p, in a body that also takes amazing stills. The GH3 is alone there.

Well, as a GH2 owner, I don't think you are going to get the stills performance out of a GH3 that you will expect as a stills photographer. Also, the GH3 is still an m4/3 sensor, and so will have only marginally improved low-light performance and be subject to the same lens cropping.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GH2, but it's really a video camera trapped in a stills camera body, that also happens to take above average stills. If you are a stills professional, I'm not sure m4/3 is the right choice.

Honestly, if you are already invested in nice EOS mount glass, go with a Canon body. You will get better stills and low-light performance, if perhaps selecting a different set of trade-offs on the video side. Is there a particular reason you need to shoot 1080p/60? Given 1080p, is 60fps a technical requirement for projects you routinely work?

Last edited:
Back