• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

outline for 4-minute film?

Wsup ppl, ive been looking into the USC cinematic program and mentioned in the application process is a 4-minute film outline. What exactly is the proper way of doing a film outline and how do i adjust it to 4 minutes. Thanks in advance.

Outlines for scripts work like key frames in animation. You write out your scenes in an outline(I rarely exceed four lines). Some scenes will be combined into one outline (For example all the scenes of your character driving back home with nothing remarkable happening within could be
- Deri drives back home tired.)

The major reason you outline is "ORDER."
It is those outlines that you will pull back and forth to structure your plot. Most people use cards.
I would not expect a four minute movie to have more than five scene outlines, though the actual movie could have more than five scenes.
Here is what I would do for a four minute Bank Job.

- Deri enters the bank with his crew(Masked in clown dresses) as Smith waits outside in a van.
- Deri and his crew take the manager and everyone hostage.
- Police cars collect outside the bank.
- Deri and his crew pack the money from the counter.
- Deri uses the manager and two other hostages to take the money outside to their Van.
- The van drives away
- Deri and his crew release the hostages, remove their clown dresses and masks - unseen, and scramble out of the bank among the hostages in the crowd to disappear

It is not perfect, but something to give you the picture. It had to be quite longer because you had to understand it. otherwise, I know my story before I put it down in an outline. Some of that detail is not that is essential.

Last edited:
Back