Oscars

..I think the most I got out of the Oscars is that I really want to be able to tell great stories that move people. I sit and watch the Oscars and think, well, I don't really need and Oscar (though it would be nice) but I want to be a great storyteller. on IMDB.com and article said that the academy chose, for best pic, a non controversial film. Crash was non-controvercial? Wow. What do you have to do to be controversial..

"Crash" was critically non-controversial. Everyone did a good job. Even the subject matter was a bit of a yawn for me- racisim, prejudice, social inequality, police corruption, things that we know about and discuss constantly and openly. And do very little about. "Brokeback" was controversial in that it was a movie that I'm sure many people wouldn't go to see if you paid them. Lots of money. Controversial story and then it gets nominated. I'm sure some conservative Academy members would've happily jumped off a cliff rather than see it win Best Picture.

spoilers for crash contained within.

Crash was poorly written and horribly shot. I laughed through the first 10 minutes as every character spoke every racial slur imaginable. It became a parody. The characters did things in that movie that made no sense in context of there character, random shifts in behavior that only existed to make a point about racism, or to conveniently turn the story around in an other direction. The director guy letting the police chase him and then acting all gangsta with the gun in the back of his pants, instead of like.... running to the cops and telling them to arrest the men who just attempted to hijack his car. Of course the point was to be like 'his wife wants him to be 'black' so he's trying to change' but it came out of nowhere and no one would do that, especially not someone in his position of wealth, intelligence, successful career, and fairly successful marraige.

Same with the 'good non racist cop', who after saving the director in one scene completely changes in the next. He essentially bullies the black hitchhiker, rolling his eyes at EVERY comment he says, the music, liking hockey, and then freaking out deciding to just shoot the guy. This scene came out of nowhere and was so stupid. Of course this is supposed to relate back to and be the pay off for Matt Dillons bad cop saying 'stay around longer and you'll learn who you really are.' but it makes no sense for the character. There were like 3 character beats missing between the last scene and this random 'he's now a racist murderer' scene.

Crash shouldn't have even been nominated, let alone win Best Picture.

Last edited:
I bought the "good non-racist cop" (gnrc) shooting the hitcher as sprung from his recent humiliation by his fellow officers (the fart jokes), which he of course brought on himself, and him just generally being a young, twitchy rookie having a bad day. They'll give anyone a gun in this country, but that's another rant....

I agreed that the racism approached farcical levels, I think they just tried to do too much in one movie.
The break-in, the locksmith, the shop-owner stories all seemed tacked onto the policeman/tv director/gang-bangers.
Too much serendipity, generally. By the end, I just didn't care because I knew I was being manipulated. Actually, making it a farce would've made it more watchable, but then no one would've nominated it as a "serious" movie. They could call it "CRUNCH"

Oddly, for me the only scene that seemed "realistic" was
Tony Danza's. He really works in tv, tv producers really do talk about character types. He played it completely straight and it worked.
The rest of it seemed mired in stereotypes. What does a movie trying to reveal racism do by showing it through the experiences of stereotypes? Nothing subtle.

Back