Opinions Please: California or Florida?

Florida also has tolls on most of the main (non-interstate) roadways. A buddy of mine lives near Orlando and hates it. As shitty as New Orleans is, my friend wants to move back.

I'm an LA native, so I'm speaking from the point that all of my connections are here by default. However, it seems to me that if you want to make films and you are not making any money yet it hardly matters what the tax scheme is. I found a partner with a XL1, I got an XL1 on ebay for $400, I have a comuter and bam, production company. It is easy to get people to collaborate for free here, and nobody looks at you twice if you shoot on the street.

LMAO! Well, as long as they weren't important...

It is a cultural thing here. My mother went to CA to visit my aunt and a friend of her's asked "Is it true that every Texan owns a gun?" to which she replied "No. Every Texan owns at least three!" completely deadpan. This is obviously an exaggeration, but the Californian believed her and appeared to be frightened. lol Then again, my CA aunt was scared when she came for a visit to TX and saw the billboards that say "Don't Mess Texas", not understanding the anti-littering campaign was not meant to be a threat... I think Californians have a humorous perception of us. Too funny.

You've been talking to the wrong Californians. :P Plenty of shooters (the firearm kind) out here. Sure some of the gun laws are beyond stupid, but building out a Cali legal AR is roughly the same price wise as getting a nice one elsewhere. Also, if you are away from the two major coastal metros (LA/SD and the Bay Area) even CC's are pretty easy to get if you are so inclined. I say stupid because most of our controls are aimed at cosmetic appearances and thus meaningless. There are some exceptions (like the .50 cal BMG ban), but who needs things like a full auto centerfire rifle anyway. :lol: There is very little that I need out of a firearm that isn't Cali legal.*

Having said that - Vancouver, Toronto, Louisiana, and several other places have a lot more shaking right now than we do. At least up here in the north. Take Alcatraz for example - they shoot the occasional exterior here, but all the sets (and principle photography) are up in Canada.

* -- Okay, that's not entirely true if we're talking "money is no object" items. :D But since some of that stuff falls specifically under the Federal ban by model name (I'm looking at you PSG-1) it's rather moot.

Last edited:
Oh, man, It's too hot and humid to shoot in Florida for 4-5 months a year. All of your EXT shots will feature talent with wet hair and pit stains. lol :lol:

Cali Strike 2: Draconian smoking laws

In Cali? Depends whatcha smokin'...
smiley_bong.gif

Well, I'm a West coastie, so I would prefer California, except I don't like the tax laws. And I'm sure the unions aren't going to make things business friendly too. So maybe Seattle/Vancouver would be better.

Back