Opinions on lenses wanted

So I've been shopping around for a new telephoto lens for my D5100, and I'm finding myself waffling between two or three different lenses even after reading a few reviews.

With the Olympus it was an easy choice because there aren't that many options, but now I'm just not sure which one to settle on, so I'm wondering if anyone's used the lenses themselves.

Prices notwithstanding, these are the lenses I'm talking about:

18-105mm - http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-105m...657070&sr=8-1&keywords=18-105mm+vr+lens+nikon

55-200mm - http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200m...657083&sr=8-2&keywords=55-200mm+lens+vr+nikon

Now I might end up using these for videos, but for now they're just basic still photography lenses. So has anyone shot with either of these? If so what's your take? (I realize they're not exactly top of the line glass, but my budget doesn't really include $500+ lenses at the moment.)

I had that 55-200 when I was rocking Nikon gear. For a cheap lens, it does stand up well. I used it with a D60 and shot many of my first digital posters with it. With the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-200 and a doubler, I was pretty well set. I only switched from Nikon to Canon because I wanted to go full frame with video capability.

It really depends on what you will be shooting.

Basic photography or video, you will be limiting yourself by getting the 55-200, unless you are shooting wildlife, birds, events, sports...

"Regular" situations and circumstances would be best served by the 18-105 and generally, I would recommend you get that one.

It really depends on what you will be shooting.

Basic photography or video, you will be limiting yourself by getting the 55-200, unless you are shooting wildlife, birds, events, sports...

"Regular" situations and circumstances would be best served by the 18-105 and generally, I would recommend you get that one.

I tend to count wildlife and birds as basic photography. :v

My only concern with the 18-105 is that it won't give me the range as the 55-200. (Or a 70-300, if I really want to go that route.)

I've had my eyes on a 35mm prime lens but I don't think it's in the budget at the moment.

Last edited:
Back