Opinions On Current Set Up

Hi and thanks in advance for any guidance. About 8 years ago, I replaced my bulky industrial SVHS Video Toaster set up for a Canon GL1 and Power Mac G4 and Final Cut Pro 1.2.5. I barely used this set up and got away from video production but now have a documentary project in development.

My question is would my GL1 and Mac/Final Cut Pro be sufficient for a self-financed short doc w/hopes for festival submission. I am wondering if I could use the GL1 as is, with any upgrades (does an XLR adapter exist to improve sound acq and/or a wide angle adapter), or rent a better camera for my interviews. Also, any suggestions on upgrading the Mac/Final Cut or is it time for a replacement.

I do not have much of a budget and would love to use what I have but not if miniDV will be a dead end when it's time to submit. After some research, I'm guessing it's time to ditch the G4 (400mhz). A mac mini w/4GB is my most affordable new option. There's also some refurbished and used G5's at very affordable prices. Is the latest version of I-Movie sufficient for my needs (loaded w/the computer purchase), how about an earlier version of Final Cut off of E-Bay or Express vs the full studio to save $.

Sorry for the load of questions. Guidance on any of the above is much appreciated.

Thanks again! Brian

Back