• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Opinion on an email from a producer/director

Hello,

I've been working on a draft of my screenplay and hours I've finished my draft, I received an email from a person through inktip who wants his story idea developed into a screenplay. The only script I have on inktip is a short and I have been working on my craft for 18 months, so I consider myself a novice still, making me anxious but excited at the same time when I've seen this email.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but what I want to ask from experienced screenwriters is what do you think of his email? Do you think it is legit? He has provided his phone number, email address and imbd page which match his description. If it seems okay, how shall I follow it up? As I haven't got an agent, I may use an entertainment attorney for negotiations. By the way I think he is interested in me because I am an Indian, but the short I wrote in inktip matches the genre of his story idea (written in English). He was active in Bollywood film industry. I xxx his personal details. Other than that the email is exactly how he typed it.

---

In my young days whilst I lived in India i was actively involved in film business having produced directed and acted in over 20 features. I am now a U.S. Citizen live in miami Florida, it's well known that this business does not get out of your system and therefore I have decided to produce and direct a Hindi film, a family drama, to be shot in America.

I have a story idea, that needs to be developed into a screen play. From your name I gather you have Indian roots,

Would you be interested let me know I can be reached on xxx-xxxxxxx.
You can Imdb me or Google my name to see my work
Thanks

Sincerely,
xxx

---

What do you want to know? Whether it's legit? There's too little to go by, but from what I can see, there is one real big honking obvious red flag. He's produced 20 features and he's talking to you.

Don't get your hopes up and expect him to pay you since you're a nobody.

First thing I'd do is ask him what he had in mind. The devil is in the details. He's probably looking for someone to develop a spec script based on his story idea. There's nothing wrong with that, but you're unlikely to get paid until it gets financed.

What do you want to know? Whether it's legit? There's too little to go by, but from what I can see, there is one real big honking obvious red flag. He's produced 20 features and he's talking to you.

Don't get your hopes up and expect him to pay you since you're a nobody.

First thing I'd do is ask him what he had in mind. The devil is in the details. He's probably looking for someone to develop a spec script based on his story idea. There's nothing wrong with that, but you're unlikely to get paid until it gets financed.

Thank you for your info. That was what I was worried about, the fact that this guy is talking to me out of all the people. Exciting at first, but apprehensive at the same time. I will discuss with him and see where it goes from there. The other thing which I forgot to mention was his last film was 22 years ago based on his imbd. But he did imply that in his email when he said he can never quite get away from the industry. Thanks again Sweetie and as you're Australian, damn you guys for beating us in the cricket. We'll get you in the world cup lol

I don't want to get ahead of myself but what I want to ask from experienced screenwriters is what do you think of his email? Do you think it is legit?
He has a story idea and is asking you if you're interested in
developing that idea into a screenplay. That is completely legit.
If it seems okay, how shall I follow it up?
You email or call him and tell him you're interested.

You're smart enough to know that if he asks you for money
you don't send him any. You know if you are willing to work
for him for free. If he offers you money you're smart enough
to know if that amount is worth your time.

Anything else you want to know?

He has a story idea and is asking you if you're interested in
developing that idea into a screenplay. That is completely legit.

You email or call him and tell him you're interested.

You're smart enough to know that if he asks you for money
you don't send him any. You know if you are willing to work
for him for free. If he offers you money you're smart enough
to know if that amount is worth your time.

Anything else you want to know?

No you've covered everything, time for me to stop acting like a panzi and email him to get the details and make that decision. Thanks

So what concerns you?

Are you worried that he will offer you a job you don't want? Are
you worried that he won't be able to pay you anything?

It's more because it's my first time contacting a producer. I'm not sure if usually they give you some sort of payment at the start when you write, afte the draft, whether they may say they won't pay unless it's financed, there the issues really. It's how to negotiate with him and follow it up. Does a produce give you a contract before you write it up, things like that. It's what should I expect from a the producer and not know I'm taken for a ride. If he says he can only pay of financed, then that is where the descion is hard. I don t mind writing for free if good comes at it in the end, it's if I waste my time doing it and then not get anything for it that worries me.

I have five months left to prove that I can try make writing a career, if not then I have to go to my back up option which is work in programming, so I haven't got time to waste, that's what I'm worried about. It's rather do this or write my second feature and hope they are good enough to gain representation (which I know is hard).

I have to get more info from him. Like is it work for hire (where I have no rights) or is it collaboration. Things like that I need to know.

Btw, I forgot to mention that on a web page whilst researching him, where he introduced himself, everything like a photo of himself, film credits, where he lives and all that match with his email he sent to me, but that web page was written in 2010 and he said he was hoping to start shooting a story soon. But he hasn't got any film credit since 1992 on imbd, so the problem is that I may write a screenplay for him but it may not get made. Going by this I may have to get paid to write it first up, only thing is that usually this opportunity is given to experience writers. I'm not one of these guys that have an ego, in fact I'm probably the complete opposite and little less confident in my ability, probably because I am not sure the standard of my work.

Last edited:
My talk with short movie production home happened through Email.

He said ,'if i liked my script into movie ?'
'IF YES , then for free'

AND I replied,
'consider this mail to be yes.'
in return to credit my name.

done!

I check short movie production home website page, that short movie happens to be in post production as they claim(?)

Well, that's how most of short movies production business here happens to get dealt

I can't go and ask to present his papers , and mine papers to sign, bond paper, which will all cost 500 $ to 1000$ !!!!

I just expect the movie really happens to be shot (!!!?) , and submitted to film festival and even win .

That will surely build great part in my profile.

That's the story of procedure involved (most of them) for PRE-PRODUCTION of short movies.

Wish you best of luck.

I'm not sure if usually they give you some sort of payment at the start when you write, afte the draft, whether they may say they won't pay unless it's financed, there the issues really.

All of the above is possible. The more marketable *YOU* are, the more it'll lean towards a paid gig. You're a famous writer right?

Does a produce give you a contract before you write it up, things like that.

I'd at least like some sort of agreement in writing, though, in the absence of an agreement, you're really in the position of power. Just make sure you copyright your work before handing it over.

It's what should I expect from a the producer and not know I'm taken for a ride.

You don't until you find out a lot more.

If he says he can only pay of financed, then that is where the descion is hard.

Why's that?

I waste my time doing it and then not get anything for it that worries me.

Get out of writing. Get out now. Unless you're extremely lucky, you're going to waste a lot of time writing before you break in.

the problem is that I may write a screenplay for him but it may not get made.

This can happen at any level, even at the studio level when they've already paid you wads of cash to write for them.

If you write like a savant, you're more likely to have your writing made. If you write in such a way that a polished turd has more appeal, the less your odds are. But who am I to say, I've seen many movies made where polished turds are more appealing.

Going by this I may have to get paid to write it first up, only thing is that usually this opportunity is given to experience writers.

Only you can make the best decision you can for yourself.

Is there any reason that you think this guy has money to blow that'd warrant him picking a nobody writer over a proven, experienced writer?

Don't get me wrong. It's always the goal to get paid for your work. If you're truly a great writer, you deserve to get paid. Nothing from what you've said has led me to believe this is the case. You don't seem confident in your own ability. Why should someone else place value in you and your work?

It's time for you to ask questions. Perhaps lots of them. TO THE PRODUCER, not us here. Work out if this situation is something you can live with.

I don t mind writing for free if good comes at it in the end, it's if I waste my time doing it and then not get anything for it that worries me.
A very real concern. Most unproduced writers contacted by a producer
on line write a script for a movie that never gets made. If a producer
cannot afford anything (say £60 a month for 3 months) it is unlikely
they can afford to do what it takes to get a movie made.

But I understand the concern especially knowing you have set yourself
a time limit. Putting time and effort and talent into a script that doesn't
get made is frustrating. At least when the writer makes a little money
that mitigates the frustration a bit.

I hope you'll share what happens with us.

A very real concern. Most unproduced writers contacted by a producer
on line write a script for a movie that never gets made. If a producer
cannot afford anything (say £60 a month for 3 months) it is unlikely
they can afford to do what it takes to get a movie made.

But I understand the concern especially knowing you have set yourself
a time limit. Putting time and effort and talent into a script that doesn't
get made is frustrating. At least when the writer makes a little money
that mitigates the frustration a bit.

I hope you'll share what happens with us.

I will definitely share what's happening with this situation for others to know for if they find themselves in a similar position. At the moment no reply from him since yesterday, but obviously he could be busy.

If he invites , make you stay in star hotel in his place ,
he pays for food , shelter , and other daily needs ... then go for it as jolly ride.
I f he surely been a con, he would have hired some one who had name credit in at least 2-3 movies...but, not you.

Enjoy trip, no way spend money in any way there.
Make him spend money.

start project, try to build other contacts through him and keep self busy aiming for other projects too.

Update:

Okay so I stated I was interested in collaborating with this producer and requested certain details such as details of his story, deadlines, financing etc. He replied asking if I am an experienced write or I id do it as a hobby, so I told him that I am writer learning his craft for the past two year and mentioned what I have written, as well as telling him I write in my spare time (which is a lot as I am taking a year out after my education).

Anyway he then responded that he has family in Leicester and that there is a boy he knows who has the same name as me. He hoped that was me but I told him that I live in Leeds. Not heard anything yet for today but that is the current situation.

Back