• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Online lighting classes

while attempting to further educate myself on lighting and what not, i came across this website through youtube.

http://www.wrightsvillebeachstudios.com/index.html

i must say it is rather interesting, but the price to download the videos was somewhat pricey.

i really want to learn alot on film lighting techniques, however as most of us know, money doesn't grow on trees.

As we all know, lighting is money. especially in film and to show professionalism.

What do you all think about these types of websites? would you guys think it's worth it?
any other websites you'd recommend?

I haven't bought the product you have posted the link for. But I had come across that, through another forum, some time ago. I've had the link in my bookmarks, with the intention of buying, once funds were available. I remember reading some good things about that, but I'm sorry, meant remember where it was, to be able to post links.

I have bought DVD sets in the past, on various subjects. Some I've recommended in threads on this site. Before I bought the ones I have. I did a google search for reviews on them. Wanted to see what others were saying. Try searching the title of those videos, and see what you come up with. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure I did, last year some time, and that's why I saved the link.

Hope Tha helps a little.

I've heard good things about these DVDs. As far as DVDs goes, it's one of the better ones in teaching film.

I have issues, however, in the learning by DVD of something like lighting - there's only so much that can happen. They can break it down and show as many examples as they like, but unless you get out there and practice it you're hardly learning anything. Any theoretical learning must be followed up by practical learning, otherwise you're only learning what would happen 'in theory'.

My suggestion would be to see if there's any beginning filmmaking, or lighting workshops near you that you can attend - a hands on approach is going to be much more beneficial than a simple DVD, althuogh if you have no other option, maybe it's the go.

I don't know of any working professional who learned who to light from a DVD..

Back