Online distribution success stories?

Hi everyone!

I've just finished my low budget (£700) romantic comedy that I shot in 7 days then took 2 years to complete in post!! I'm cutting the trailer and working on the poster now.

My question is, has anyone out there turned a decent profit from distributing online? When I say decent profit, I'm talking over $10,000... After working as long as I have on this project, a few hundred dollars isn't going to excite me, but I do know times are tough.

I'm looking at all my options for distribution.

Thanks

Win

Why should anyone choose your film over a multi-million dollar film with production values and name actors? Also, how often do you pay to watch no-budget films online?

Hi everyone!

I've just finished my low budget (£700) romantic comedy that I shot in 7 days then took 2 years to complete in post!! I'm cutting the trailer and working on the poster now.

My question is, has anyone out there turned a decent profit from distributing online? When I say decent profit, I'm talking over $10,000... After working as long as I have on this project, a few hundred dollars isn't going to excite me, but I do know times are tough.

I'm looking at all my options for distribution.

Thanks

Win

I know quite a few people, personally, in my circle that have had great success with online distribution and do not have names, etc.

Great Success, though, is defined as the small criteria you outline: over 10,000.00.

You just need to get it to the right hub and make sure you're presenting your content to the best of its ability. It won't be an overnight thing, either, given that you've got a rom com. Even more so important, you have to go and drive people to want to pay for it, watch it. If you can't do that, then you won't see much return.

Between licensing, iTunes, Amazon, so on and so forth you could definitely leap the 10K mark in a few months time.

Those with projects of a larger scope should have even less trouble, as long as they beat the proverbial street for their viewership as mentioned.

Interesting, do you have any examples of films that did this?
thank you
I know quite a few people, personally, in my circle that have had great success with online distribution and do not have names, etc.

Great Success, though, is defined as the small criteria you outline: over 10,000.00.

You just need to get it to the right hub and make sure you're presenting your content to the best of its ability. It won't be an overnight thing, either, given that you've got a rom com. Even more so important, you have to go and drive people to want to pay for it, watch it. If you can't do that, then you won't see much return.

Between licensing, iTunes, Amazon, so on and so forth you could definitely leap the 10K mark in a few months time.

Those with projects of a larger scope should have even less trouble, as long as they beat the proverbial street for their viewership as mentioned.

InSearchOf immediately comes to mind
It's the one that you can really search up and get a sense of what the director/producer did.

The rest are friends who weren't as vocal or recognized.

Sorry, I don't mean to doubt what you are saying, however I found a link on IMDB to watch ALL of "InSearchOf" for free.
Are they making money on advertising? Thanks again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482525/
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2755527449/?&c=1

It's free now, but wasn't a while ago.
InSearchOf (2009)

At this point, I wager he's probably bringing in small amounts on advertising, but before that, it was licensing and online sales (edit here:) from what I came to understand through the small network of people that play in that space.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Seems odd to me because if people paid to see my movie online in 2009. I'd make them pay in 2011 or forever really. But that's just me. :)
It's free now, but wasn't a while ago.
InSearchOf (2009)

At this point, I wager he's probably bringing in small amounts on advertising, but before that, it was licensing and online sales (edit here:) from what I came to understand through the small network of people that play in that space.

Thanks for the info. Seems odd to me because if people paid to see my movie online in 2009. I'd make them pay in 2011 or forever really. But that's just me. :)

I wouldn't.

There's only so much Shelf Life a low budget movie can have, there's more value in releasing it for free after a while to build a name, and a following.

Tactics like these are what separate those who excel and those who stagnate.

Is it still $750 to get a movie set up on iTunes?

I haven't checked lately, but I know the split is still pretty "eh".

Also, it's hard to tell if it's better to try and go it on your own or go through a distro company. If I remember right, Apple opened it's policy up on content a bit more earlier on this year which allowed more direct-to-iTunes possibility.

Admittedly, with the development of a new feature and web series I've lost my train of info on web and VOD channels, I need a refresher course m'self.

Maybe, I'm not part of a following for any films that are given away for free right now so I wouldn't know. ;)
I wouldn't.

There's only so much Shelf Life a low budget movie can have, there's more value in releasing it for free after a while to build a name, and a following.

Tactics like these are what separate those who excel and those who stagnate.

My question is, has anyone out there turned a decent profit from distributing online? When I say decent profit, I'm talking over $10,000...

If you look hard enough, you may indeed find that ONE person. But for everyone else, you're going to be lucky to find someone who made back 10% of the film's COST online, never mind a profit of any kind.

Indeed, if there was profit to be made selling films online, we'd all be doing it.

"Profit" and "indie filmmaking" go together like oil and water.

Good luck though.

There is a profit to be made selling films online, make something that a large demographic wants to pay for (see: sci-fi, horror with baseline cinematic production value) or a strong paying niche market wants to believe in enough to push and pay for...

Weird thing is, hardly anyone is doing that.

Stack onto that the lack of knowledge and skill in networking and building audience and you have your problem.

"Profit" and "indie filmmaking" go together like oil and water.
LOL!
Sad, but true.

It's like asking "how many bass fisherman make enough money to pay for their gear, their boat, and time"?
Consider all the cr@p for sale for catching fish.
And all the schmucks out there plunkin' down tens and twenties and fifties and hundreds and thousands for all this shhhstuff each year.
Don't forget the fishing license, either.

How many trap and skeet enthusiasts make a living off of their hobby?

BMX bike racers?

Pro quilters?

When you drive by Hobby Lobby and think of the thousands of square feet in each of hundreds of stores across America and the annual revenue they make offa the sh!t they sell do you wonder what the rate of return is for all those customers that take those raw materials and make "art"?

Yep, 10% is pretty good, actually! :yes:

Sigh...

I can gaurantee you that this guy --

http://www.kyleprohaska.com/

-- has made more than 100 percent of his budget spent on his feature film, which is here--

http://standingfirmmovie.com/

And it was DISTRIBUTED ONLINE

I will not cite the ballpark of the numbers

LOOK at his followers on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/standingfirm

There are no names, there are no stars, it's shot on a 35mm Adapter and it has decent production value.

I followed Kyle's progress with his feature for three years, he worked for it. He didn't complain or paint an abysmal picture for no budget no named filmmakers. He did what he loved and he's reaping the rewards. Going into a new feature and schooling people on how it's done.

So you'r etelling me hard work and beating the ground is a fluke? luck?

Man... seriously...

Thanks, That looks like a really good example of an online promoted film.

Can you post his bank account statements?

Just Kidding, looks good actually :lol:

Sigh...

I can gaurantee you that this guy --

http://www.kyleprohaska.com/

-- has made more than 100 percent of his budget spent on his feature film, which is here--

http://standingfirmmovie.com/

And it was DISTRIBUTED ONLINE

I will not cite the ballpark of the numbers

LOOK at his followers on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/standingfirm

There are no names, there are no stars, it's shot on a 35mm Adapter and it has decent production value.

I followed Kyle's progress with his feature for three years, he worked for it. He didn't complain or paint an abysmal picture for no budget no named filmmakers. He did what he loved and he's reaping the rewards. Going into a new feature and schooling people on how it's done.

So you'r etelling me hard work and beating the ground is a fluke? luck?

Man... seriously...

Thanks, That looks like a really good example of an online promoted film.

Can you post his bank account statements?

Just Kidding, looks good actually :lol:

xD Yeah let me ask him for 'em. Haha

That's just one of a lot of examples, problem is my mind's fried from writing on the next feature so I need to regroup before I can post more examples.

It's a damned shame that people get these ideas in their heads that there isn't anything to be had in our space. They start blaming luck or flukes, sounds like an excuse to me because I see shining examples all the time. More than not, they all have very basic things in common, all of which amount to the "IT" that you can sell to someone.

It isn't the system in most cases, it's the quality of the content being put out. That's just the cold, hard, and unsettling truth.

Question we should be asking ourselves? Would I pay ten dollars to watch what I just did? And be honest with your answer.

I have to confess I only paid to download ONE video online - The Secret only because it was recommended by a friend. I've NEVER paid a penny to watch an indie film online. I don't watch pirated movies either. All Netflix and redbox and IFC channel. People like me are finding it hard to believe there is money for Indie Films online because we don't spend the money ourselves.
I'm waiting for your bank statements to be posted, Kholi. hehe :lol:

xD Yeah let me ask him for 'em. Haha

That's just one of a lot of examples, problem is my mind's fried from writing on the next feature so I need to regroup before I can post more examples.

It's a damned shame that people get these ideas in their heads that there isn't anything to be had in our space. They start blaming luck or flukes, sounds like an excuse to me because I see shining examples all the time. More than not, they all have very basic things in common, all of which amount to the "IT" that you can sell to someone.

It isn't the system in most cases, it's the quality of the content being put out. That's just the cold, hard, and unsettling truth.

Question we should be asking ourselves? Would I pay ten dollars to watch what I just did? And be honest with your answer.

I have to confess I only paid to download ONE video online - The Secret only because it was recommended by a friend. I've NEVER paid a penny to watch an indie film online. I don't watch pirated movies either. All Netflix and redbox and IFC channel. People like me are finding it hard to believe there is money for Indie Films online because we don't spend the money ourselves.

I barely pay to watch anything outside of theaters or Netflix, as well. Won't even take the time to sign up for FREE on HuLu; I hear ya. But, there aren't a lot of people like me, and on the same token, there aren't a lot of indies making content for me, either.

If Scott Pilgrim had been an internet release and it cost 29.99 to get it on iTunes, only place you could get it, I would've paid or it just based on the trailer. Instead I sawr it in theaters (20.00) and then I bought the Blu Ray release day (25.00).

If Attack the Block had been an interbutts release and it cost me 9.99 a month to watch it exclusively somewhere online, I would've paid for it just from the trailer. Instead, I sawr it in theaters 4 times (2 times free although I paid for popcorn etc so about 30.00) and 2 times paid (40.00) and I am finally up enough to get the blu ray when I go to get Modern Warfare 3 (25.00)

I will consume what's made for me.

I will not watch someone's "artistic" vision if it looks and sounds like I accidentally hit record on my iPhone. Much less pay for it.

I'm waiting for your bank statements to be posted, Kholi. hehe :lol:

You'll be depressed if it's My bank statements! haha. I ate a cheese danish for dinner the night before last. xD

Back