one thing my trailer has accomplished

My one minute trailer has attracted some major industry talent to score the 22 minute.version of my film. The composer of a well-known science fiction movie offered to license me music for a credit and DVD copy of the film because he likes what he sees in the one minute trailer. I have some other high profile composers interested in it because they like what they see in the art and the money is not their top concern.

I think that id a good thing and worth mentioning.

Last night I watched The Asylum's Battle of Los Angeles and I have to say your work is honestly not that much farther behind what those guys are putting out, although I imagine your homework is CONSIDERABLY better than what it's director Mark Atkins invested.

I think you're only a hop or two away.

And I acknowledge that it might be fun to knock The Asylum's work, but they have a legit business model that seems to be working just fine, and it's kinda hard to knock that down.
They're working at something they appear to enjoy doing.

I hope that you can keep snowballing the IC franchise to continue acquiring more talent along the way.

GL & GB! :yes:

Yes, your trailer has attracted major talent with no name and a composer of a well known movie that is so well known, you might as well not name it in case anyone might actually know what it is.

First of all, thank you Rayw. Believe it or not, I pretty much told the cast and crew pretty much the same thing comparing the production to The Asylums work as well. They have a better business model and budget as well. It's the story with the mix of a wider spectrum of characters that makes up less production value.

Sonyboo,

One, anything posted on these boards are all over Google.
Two, when you are in talks with well-known people you will come to know they like to be private. Even when I m posting updates on my next production via emails, I have to do it as blind copies because some recipients are celebrities.
I also optioned to let a local NYU graduate sound score the 22 minute version, which my crew disagrees with me over the composer in Los Angeles with all the industry credits because he can score faster and has work on Sundance.

There is always name dropping in this industry. People in my cast work with celebrities on TV shows. It's the industry. Get use to it. These people are down to Earth and not divas. I like working with them.

The DP we had in the beginning was talented, but lied about working for NBC. I called his bluff and met him at NBC. He had to enter through the tourists entrance and was not allowed upstairs. I'm in their system with an ID for a company they contact. So, I can go in through an employee entrance. So, I caught him in a lie.

Last edited:
I also optioned to let a local NYU graduate sound score the 22 minute version, which my crew disagrees with me over the composer in Los Angeles with all the industry credits because he can score faster and has work on Sundance.

How does one "score sound"? I've heard of the score, which is non-source music written specifically for a film. I've heard of sound design which is the creation of all the non-dialogue and non-music sounds in a film. Never heard of "score sound". Must be a super secret new job title.

And "on Sundance", does that mean the Sundance Channel or the Sundance Film Festival?

Yes, everything on this site is on Google. Which is why your company name "Modern Day Myth" and all these claims of deals are still searchable and would still be in violation of any Non Disclosure Agreements that would be involved with any "major companies". That's probably why, I'm sorry to say, I have huge amounts of doubt in regards to all your claims of connections and deals. That combined with the incredibly inaccurate and oft-misguided statements you make often relating to the film industry.

Mike, all I'd say is that, whether or not the things you claim are true, if you're making these unsubstantiated claims, time after time, you're going to draw this sort of criticism. It's not something that either you or anyone here wants, so maybe just concentrate on keeping the details of your production schtum until such a time as you can actual release something with a degree of verifiability.

I am just excited at what appears to be good news. I do not mean to sound stuck up or anything. I can have long stretches of bad luck where nothing goes right. And, suddenly my luck can change and it gets the better of me. I want to keep the composer in Los Angeles in mind for future projects. Depending on how things work out, I may consider him to score the 40 minute production, if I can get the $10,000 together to finish it and the composer scoring the 22 minute production is no longer interested or doesn't have the time.

Sundance Film Festival to answer Peter's question. The composer said the production should be scored within the next two weeks. That will be just in time for the NYTVF.

I have been working on the sound design with sound effects and ambiance I found on the Internet and talked about in the thread A Complete Waste Of Time.

We are re-shooting model spaceship footage and shooting an artistic commentary this Sunday. According to the weather forecast, it will be the only sunny day within the next few days.

So, there is lots of work ahead before the June 15 deadline for the festival.

I will say here in public what I told the cast and crew about credit. They will only get their credit after they turn over their work to me for the production. If they put no work into it, they get no credit out of it. If anyone has been keeping tabs on the credits for the production on my promo page, more and more people are appearing in the credits.

Last edited:
I am just excited at what appears to be good news. I do not mean to sound stuck up or anything.

In your defense Mike - no one anywhere thinks you are stuck up. I mean that. You are a good guy and your heart is in the right place. It just doesn't do you or anyone else any good to make claims you can never prove.

I agree, Peter. That's why I have a policy people only get their credit after they turn in their work. One of my PAs was asking about credit. And, I explained the policy. He worked four days. So, his name is now listed as a PA. (Check that three days. One day was called because of rain.)

I've read stories on this board of sound people literally stealing the sound from productions even when they were paid ahead of time.

I have a friend I went to high school with who got paid $3,500 ahead of time to do stunts for 10 days. She quit after one day because she could not get along with someone in the production. Now, she worries when her phone rings that the producers are calling her to return money for work she never performed. I told her as a friend, she should return the money for the days she didn't work.

So, deals should not be mentioned until they are complete. I will credit and mention the composer when the work is complete.

Last edited:
Here again, it turned out better I never mentioned the composer. He dropped out because his day job is overloading him. I'm going down the list of people who applied for a replacement.

I agree, Peter. That's why I have a policy people only get their credit after they turn in their work. One of my PAs was asking about credit. And, I explained the policy. He worked four days. So, his name is now listed as a PA. (Check that three days. One day was called because of rain.)

IMHO, a PA deserved credit if they did any work. Even if they only worked one day out of 10.

I can see what you're saying as far as not paying a technician until you have their completed work in-hand. But a PA? Come on. Chill out.

I have a friend I went to high school with who got paid $3,500 ahead of time to do stunts for 10 days. She quit after one day because she could not get along with someone in the production. Now, she worries when her phone rings that the producers are calling her to return money for work she never performed. I told her as a friend, she should return the money for the days she didn't work.

As someone who has often allowed his own personality to be a barrier to repeat clients, allow me to say I am surprised her phone still rings at all if that is her modus operandi. Can't say I've ever been paid in full ahead of time, but I would definitely finish the work if that had been the case.

This is a very small business we are in, ultimately, and it doesn't pay to play hardball with everyone we meet because simultaneously there are usually enough people available to avoid re-hiring the unpleasant ones.

I say this as a person who has spent a lifetime being guilty of being the "unpleasant one" and continues to pay the price from time to time despite exercising all of the self control I can muster. :D

None of this is to imply any blame on the part of your friend, but even events which are not "our fault" can burn us as a result of our response.

Back