producing One Location Challenge

A while back, I was challenged by a producer with some real connections but had a specific need who asked, 'Do you have a script or creative idea that unfolds in a single place but is still creatively mind-blowing?' A movie in one location? Isn't that a play? Is that possible? I had a pretty good idea and I was able to get it kind of far in the Hollywood pipeline (bit fizzled out like 99.9999% of all H-Wood ideas) but it made me think, that challenge is more relevant than ever. What about you? It's not all about space ships and grand manors.

Do you have anything artistically stunning yet strategically simple to shoot and edit? Could you tweak one of your ideas to get it into a logistically simple shoot scenario?

That's a pretty common concept, it's called a "bottle episode". There have been a handful of success stories. CUBE, Phone Booth, a number of Twilight Zone Episodes, and many other shows or smaller prodcos looking to circumvent budget with writing. Sometimes it works, more often, it's transparently cheap. The winning formula across time in terms of one location pieces is as you mentioned, a play, or on television more often a clip show episode. The fresh prince is trapped in an elevator for 21 minutes with his stepdad, and the two get into an argument, during which many clips from previous episodes are played. These clips support one side or another of the conversation, and at the end there is an emotional resolution, typically based on some epiphany by one of the characters based on the clips.

Family Guy did a decent one, and there are many examples.

Another angle is to make that one location something special, like a Castle or mansion, and then lock the characters in with some narrative device like a severe storm. Cube is an especially good example, where a single expensive set was simply recolored dozens of times, to create the illusion that the actors were moving from one nearly identical room to another for the entire film. That's where I'd start watching if I wanted ideas for this specific route.

All of my short films were in one location. One was a guy in a closet and
there's something out there.

My first feature was one location - technically... It was an old mansion so
there were many different room and a creepy basement. All of my ultra low
budget features were four or less locations.
A while back, I was challenged by a producer with some real connections but had a specific need who asked, 'Do you have a script or creative idea that unfolds in a single place but is still creatively mind-blowing?' A movie in one location? Isn't that a play? Is that possible?
Several plays have bee adapted into great movies so yes. it's possible.
Do you have anything artistically stunning yet strategically simple to shoot and edit?
I have two scrips that are simple to shoot and edit. But I'm with sfoster:
"artistically stunning" is a full-stop for me.

That's a pretty common concept, it's called a "bottle episode". There have been a handful of success stories. CUBE, Phone Booth, a number of Twilight Zone Episodes, and many other shows or smaller prodcos looking to circumvent budget with writing. Sometimes it works, more often, it's transparently cheap. The winning formula across time in terms of one location pieces is as you mentioned, a play, or on television more often a clip show episode. The fresh prince is trapped in an elevator for 21 minutes with his stepdad, and the two get into an argument, during which many clips from previous episodes are played. These clips support one side or another of the conversation, and at the end there is an emotional resolution, typically based on some epiphany by one of the characters based on the clips.

Family Guy did a decent one, and there are many examples.

Another angle is to make that one location something special, like a Castle or mansion, and then lock the characters in with some narrative device like a severe storm. Cube is an especially good example, where a single expensive set was simply recolored dozens of times, to create the illusion that the actors were moving from one nearly identical room to another for the entire film. That's where I'd start watching if I wanted ideas for this specific route.
I love me a good bottle episode! Clip episodes not so much. The script I was pitching took place in a diner, there was the dining room and the kitchen and manager's office and the parking lot so it might have been a slight cheat but was certainly all in one location.

All of my short films were in one location. One was a guy in a closet and
there's something out there.

My first feature was one location - technically... It was an old mansion so
there were many different room and a creepy basement. All of my ultra low
budget features were four or less locations.

Several plays have bee adapted into great movies so yes. it's possible.

I have two scrips that are simple to shoot and edit. But I'm with sfoster:
"artistically stunning" is a full-stop for me.
forgive my inelegance on the "artistically stunning" quip!

Shooting a film in a single location provides filmmakers with various financial and creative advantages.

From a budgetary perspective, it significantly reduces costs associated with location scouting, permits, and transportation, allowing resources to be allocated more efficiently.

Logistically, a streamlined schedule is achievable, as the crew spends less time moving between different sites. The controlled environment of a single location offers greater technical control over aspects like lighting and sound, contributing to a more cohesive visual and auditory experience.

Creatively, filmmakers can delve deeper into character development and storytelling without the distractions of multiple settings. This simplicity fosters innovation, encouraging directors to explore unique narrative and cinematic techniques.

In post-production, editing becomes more straightforward, enhancing the overall consistency and coherence of the film. Ultimately, the benefits of single-location shooting lie in its cost efficiency, logistical simplicity, creative focus, and the opportunity for innovative storytelling within a controlled space.

Back