Old Boy remake coming up!

In a momentary defense of high profile kickstarter campaigns...I can see it from a fan wanting to get involved perspective. For example, if Terry Gilliam (who has historically had a really hard time getting a budget) wanted to raise some funds, I would definitely consider donating. It's similar to the old "fan club" model of doing things. As for rich people fundraising, I think it's sort of standard practice outside the indie world to NOT sink your own money into films if you can avoid it. The other side of the coin is if you want to play like an indie film, you should probably play by indie film rules. I can see both sides of it.

That said, Uwe Boll? Postal 2? The hell? I can sit through most Boll films (in a bad movie sort of way), but the first was a little trying. Dead Baby Jokes: the Movie, as told by the average 3rd grade class. Perhaps the only positive sign from this is that studios are now reluctant to give Boll money....

Well I saw the Oldboy remake finally. Took forever to get to theaters where I live... It was disappointing.

The twist is kept the with a small change, but it wasn't for the better, and did not add anything. On the plus side, after the big twist, the movie uses a different ending, instead of the main character being hypnotised. In my opinion the new ending is more hearbreaking than the original, but most fans felt it was a cop out cause it wasn't as controversial. I was more effected by the heartbreak though.

That being said, almost all of this remake is a lot worse, and the depth that the original had, is ruined by the over-the-topness this one goes too. I almost had thought the original was too over the top, but this one, wow. Mostly in the violence and fake obvious CGI gore.

Back