top-list Okay, Gloves Off: What are the Top Ten Best Films Ever Made?

I have seen threads asking you to list your favorite films. I suppose that if I did a search of Indietalk for a thread asking for a top ten list of the very best films ever made, I'd find that's it's already been asked. But, I haven't noticed one since I've been watching these boards.

So...

What are the top ten very best films ever made? Doesn't matter if you actually like them, or not. Maybe you even despise them on some personal level. But, trying to be more objective, I suppose, what are the top ten greatest achievements in feature film since the birth of film?

Richy, you my boy. We see eye-to-eye on SO MANY movies.

But you want objectivity? In filmmaking? Ain't no such thing.

Otherwise, I'll gladly enter this debate, just for fun. :)

Good point, my bro. Forget "objectivity."

What are the best of the best...whether they're your personal favorites (is a better way of putting it), or not. =)

P.S. Oh yeah, I wanted to ask for any details or reasons or reviews of your choices that you felt like offering, too. But hey, slackers, no pressure. Only if ya feel like it.

Just to help get those brainworks amovin':

British Film Institute's Top 50 Films of All time

and,

American Film Intstitute's Top 100

Last edited:
I've shared my personal top-10 list numerous times on IT, and it's definitely too subjective to belong in this conversation.

So, instead, I'll throw out a movie that we all cherish, albeit one that doesn't even make it onto my personal top-20 list, but it's influence is underrated.

Star Wars.

Yep, I said underrated.

Movie nerds like to talk about how influential movies like Citizen Kane and The Birth of a Nation were, because of the innovative filmmaking techniques they spurned.

Pffftthhh!!! Star Wars was just as innovative, but on top of that, it ROCKED OUR WORLD!!! And by "our" world, I mean the whole damn world.

Filmmaking has never been the same, for better or worse. The marketing changed. Cinemas changed. Movies changed, and there's been no looking back.

Star Wars is the Micheal Jordan of film. Nay, it's the....................Yoda, of film.

And here's my ridiculously-bold-statement-that-I-actually-believe: Star Wars is the most influential work of art (not just cinema) of the 20th century.

Last edited:
Cracker, you know, you may have hit upon the more interesting question:

What are the most important films ever made?

Important = what?

I don't know.

Maybe culturally, socially, intellectually, politically...influentially...

What films changed people's lives, views, feelings, you name it?

For example, your example of Star Wars. Haven't there been people who have made a religion of The Force?

Anyway.

Dayem, I can buy that. And, on that note, what about Jaws? Isn't that considered to be the first blockbuster?

I don't know about first blockbuster. When The Graduate came out, there were lines around the block for weeks all across the country. That was 1967.

1974 saw Blazing Saddles come out to the same kind of phenomenon.

I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the ones I know for sure off the top of my head. However, Jaws could very well have been the first action blockbuster. :)

Okay, a couple nominations. Casablanca. Great film, to this day. Rebel Without A Cause. Wild Strawberries (im(notso)ho, Bergman's finest). M. Kurosawa's Dreams (can't think of a bad thing to say about that movie, even if it's not to everyone's taste).

I'll think of more.

I suppose that if I did a search of Indietalk for a thread asking for a top ten list of the very best films ever made, I'd find that's it's already been asked.

Like only every few months.

This time I will not rack my brain for 10 . . . just the first 4 that pop into my head:

1) 2001
2) Blue Velvet
3) United 93
4) Dr. Strangelove

Pffftthhh!!! Star Wars was just as innovative, but on top of that, it ROCKED OUR WORLD!!! And by "our" world, I mean the whole damn world.

Star Wars is mainly recognised as innovative for the new techniques of creating images, which lead to the birth of Industrial Light and Magic. Also for it's new marketing strategy of selling action figures from the film. What is often not so well recognised is that it marked a milestone in film sound. It was the first major film to be mixed and released in Dolby Surround and greatly contributed to it's take up in cinemas, in the same way that Avatar pushed the take up of digital cinema. The notion of designing a film for sound throughout the pre and production phases was not new but was taken to a whole new level by George Lucas and Ben Burtt and directly led to the term "Sound Designer" being used for the first time in film.

Dayem, I can buy that. And, on that note, what about Jaws? Isn't that considered to be the first blockbuster?

In the business, "Gone with the Wind" is often regarded as the first true blockbuster.

For example, your example of Star Wars. Haven't there been people who have made a religion of The Force?

In the UK, there is a rule that if at least 10,000 people name the same religion on the national census form then it has to be acknowledged as an official religion. About 15 or so years ago some people on the net suggested entering their religion on the census form as "Jedi Knight", just for a joke, to get it officially recognised. I was one of the people who did enter "Jedi Knight" as my religion and I believe well over 10,000 others did the same! To be honest I can't remember the outcome, maybe the whole thing was down played by the authorities because everyone knew it was just a bunch of people "taking the piss" out of the system.

Sorry, all a bit off topic!

G

I have seen threads asking you to list your favorite films. I suppose that if I did a search of Indietalk for a thread asking for a top ten list of the very best films ever made, I'd find that's it's already been asked. But, I haven't noticed one since I've been watching these boards.

So...

What are the top ten very best films ever made? Doesn't matter if you actually like them, or not. Maybe you even despise them on some personal level. But, trying to be more objective, I suppose, what are the top ten greatest achievements in feature film since the birth of film?

Objective...hmm...not gonna be too objective, needs a touch of personal taste so here goes:

1) 2001: A space odyssey
2) Godfather
3) Psycho
4) Seven Samaurai
5) Apocalypse now
6) Star wars
7) Ben Hur
8) Alien
9) Taxi Driver
10) Terminator

On a more personal note:

1) Godfather
2) The Shining
3) Pulp Fiction
4) The Dark Knight
5) Apocalypse now
6) Dr strangelove
7) City of God
8) The Big Lebowski
9) Shawn of the Dead
10) The Matrix

Last edited:
Wow, everyone's picks are very fascinating. Especially Phil's.

Dr. S., it's really interesting to see your two lists and to compare them, isn't it?

APE, that's a really interesting and fun anecdote about the legal designation of religion in the UK and about those election shananigans.

Wikipedia

Number 896. =D

Star Wars has to be #1. Not just because on the techincal aspect but Star Wars changed our culture in a big way and it still does. From our vernacular to pop culture. Nothing before or since then has had that kind of impact. There is no other move like it and there never will be. Hate it love it or indifferent it has claimed the top most influentialof all time.

now on a weird note ..after picking up a jaws t-shirt yesterday at a horror con ..yes i can say Jaws is a movie you can watch over and over again. This movie i watch every spring just before it starts getting hot out.

lawrence of arabia would be a personal vote however its not well know in todays generation...

Psycho, yes this movie had made some waves and even todays generation has knowlege of this movie and thats saying something! Tho i tell you im a bit indifferent to it.

Night of the living Dead, everyone has seen it and its a halloween staple.

Seven Samurai, still to be a all time great movie that i agree with.

Gojira, now i only like this movie , but it started the whole kaju genre (i looove kaju movies). and if you give it a chance (the orginial japanese verision) its a verry serious film.

i have to really think about the next 3..this is quite hard for the top 10 all time

Hello IndieTalk Forumites!

I know I said that I would not return here, but I changed my mind.

Participating in this most irresistible Thread, forces in the ether are grabbing my hands and forcing me to type...

DISCLAIMER:

Yes, Rankings and Lists are cool to participate in, but I would throw out my standard DISCLAIMER that states that everyone has many different variables when compiling any List of any topic, and way too much seriousness is a common result. My methods of Rankings and Lists are my attempts to enlighten, have fun, and hopefully open a different world to at least one other person.

1. The Godfather. The pinnacle of the gangster/mafia genre, Francis Ford Capolla's Epic showed audiences details that were largely unknown to them, showed personal triumphs of basic survival ( Vito Corleone's mother dying to give her son a chance to run), and one of the ultimate ironic Character Arcs of all-Cinema: Michael Corleone leading the next generation of the crime family via tragic plot turns.

2. Waterloo.

This 1970 Napoleon Bonaparte movie has the late, great Rod Steiger as the exiled Emperor, attempting to reclaim his Crown. The performance by Steiger was so great, it will not be matched any time soon. Stanley Kubrick had worked for 3 years on his own Napoleon project, could not get the financing, and seeing Steiger was the final straw, forcing the late, great MASTER of Cinema, Stanley Kubrick, to quit the Napoleon project. Kubrick took many elements of his unfinished Epic and made Barry Lyndon.

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Kubrick rules, see # 2 in reference, and this movie was made BEFORE THE APOLLO 11, the history-making moon landing. Kubrick had corresponded with over 70 agencies, getting designs, factoids about space flight, computer technology of that time, and the Musical Score almost matched the Special Effects. The "jump-cut" of the Ape throwing the bone-weapon in the air/the descending Space Satellite was a stroke of genius. When I heard of this movie as a teenager, I thought that there would be the normal "monster/zombie" encounter, and was shocked at the real villain of this classic. Kubrick was insistent on each frame looking like the most expensive post card on the planet. This movie set a high standard for subsequent Space movies.

4. Cruising.

This 1980 movie, directed by William Friedkin, was way ahead of it's time. The gay bar scene had never been shown as such up until this movie came out. There were protests in the streets of NYC because of this movie. Friedkin should have let the Bond Company take this movie over, but he stuck to his guns, and though threatened with bodily harm, courageously turned out an underrated film.

5. Das Boot.

The ultimate submarine movie. Tragic irony to close out this classic. Director Wolfgang Petersen apparently knew how to get proper coverage in a set mimicking a sub-tin-can 15 feet wide by 120 feet long. Pipes, gauges, etc. The dialogue all had to be ADR'd. Great performances by everyone, as the range of emotions from angst, panic, boredom, working under inhumane conditions had to be shown as realistically as possible. Das Boot does all of that.

6. Psycho.

Alfred Hitchcock ruled during his days, and this movie defied a few basic conventions yet untested by anyone. How DARE Hitch kill off one of the main characters during the first third of the movie? Showing a commode? Not done until this movie. Casting Anthony Perkins as Bates? Everyone raved over the luscious Janet Leigh cast as the Secretary Marion Crane, which has merit, but few people other than Hitch knew that without Perkins, this movie is probably forgettable. Perkins makes this unforgettable. The shower scene? Also unforgettable, took at least six days to shoot during Principal Photography. Oh, Paramount did NOT want to do this movie, Hitch had some type of contract with the studio, and Hitch found a way to get his TV show production company to do this classic, sort of "on-the-cheap", but most would never have figured this out. This movie was the first movie that my Mother told me that had LINES around the block EVERY DAY, and she never got to see it. Which leads to:

7. Love Story.

The most romantic movie of all-time. Class issues, religious issues, attractive young couple in love, and a tag-line of "Love means never having to say you're sorry". Made for a budget for just under 2 million, this grossed over $105 million the first year of Theatrical release. The Score, which won the Oscar, by Francis Lai, was his only win ever, and this Score is ranked as one of the highest Scoring in Cinema of all-time. Many viewers of Love Story claim that the music makes the movie, period. Again, this was a movie that my mother saw LINES around the block, but this was 1970, not Psycho's 1960, and she somehow found a way to see this in a Theatre. This was the 2nd movie along with Psycho that my Mother ever saw those long lines to get in.

8. Au Hazard Balthazar.

The French Director Robert Bresson created this unheralded masterpiece about a Donkey named Balthazar, passed around from owner to owner, suffering abuse, but strives forward the best he can. The young farm girl. Marie, sees Balthazar even though he keeps changing hands( her family was the first to sell him), and the abuse the girl suffers mirrors in many ways what Balthazar suffers. There is a moment of glory for the Donkey, in a Circus, and a rare shot: the silent part where the other Circus animals and Balthazar meet briefly. Pure genius.

9. Persona.

Swedish director Ingmar Bergman's story about the Nurse and patient, whose minds and spiritual energies meld together, set a great standard for psychodramas forever. Acresses Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullman were beautiful, and Bergman knew how to cast for the best maximum effects; their looks and abilities resulted in the best possible product.

10. The Bounty.

This 3rd installment of the famous Mutiny of the Bounty made in 1984, has a cast of gargantuan measures: Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson, Bernard Hill, Lawrence Olivier. A Dino De Laurentiis Production, so no cost was spared per se. Score by Vangelis, the haunting theme throughout most of this great movie. Directed by Roger Donaldson, the pace was so good, it is hard to turn away for a second, the true mark of a fantastic movie. Well-written, and sticks to the basic facts the world knows about that infamous mutiny. Shown at Cannes, received a lukewarm reception, and did not do that great at the box-office, barely eeking out a small profit. But is helped launch the cast mentioned above except Olivier, already cemented in Cinematic history. Hopkins portrayal as Captain Bligh should have won the Oscar. Take this statement lightly? Rent this then contact me and we can discuss it at any length you wish. Oh, the importance of this movie? Easy. After this masterpiece, no one else will dare to try a 4th installment of that mutiny. This one closed that door.

I wish I could do more here, ten movies is not enough. The French New Wave had important movies, John Cassavettes is considered the father of Independent movies, David Lynch had interesting movies( Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Elephant Man), and the Master Kubrick had about 12 great movies I could be here up all night typing about, and Spielberg? Milos Foreman w/ Cuckoo's nest? Silence of the Lambs? Patton? I could go on and on, so I tried to list what I think are IMPORTANT and SIGNIFICANT movies that came out at certain times. Papillon? Another great movie, the ultimate escape movie, was largely overlooked in the early 1970's.

Gotta run, I hope someone out there gets something out of this. I hope someone enjoys this just a fraction that I did typing this.

Ironman1

Last edited:
Wow, everyone's picks are very fascinating. Especially Phil's.

Dr. S., it's really interesting to see your two lists and to compare them, isn't it?

APE, that's a really interesting and fun anecdote about the legal designation of religion in the UK and about those election shananigans.

Wikipedia

Number 896. =D

I am obviously joking :D

Back