Ok So What Now?

Recently, I had to cancel a shoot because work, equipment, and actors were getting a little o complicated. First off, I need a better way of gaining actors, managing locations, and getting crew and equipment. I usually ask my friends but we are heading into our mid-20 and free time is not so easy to come by. I have already talked to Film Academys, University, and Theatre Departments, so I think my situation on actors will change for the better.

The real problem at this stage is, renting, buying, or collaborating with a crew and equipment (other than the actors). I went through the process of renting gear at BorrowLenses.com. The total came up to about 300 and tax. 2 Lenses, BoomPole, and Recorder. All willy nilly everything was going good, until they said I need to make a deposit of 3000 for insurance on the items:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:.WHAT?!?! I mean I could understand asking for it, but after I already purchased the equipment and with no mention of any insurance deposits before making purchase. AAHHH but whatever, the question is Where can I find renting equipment more easily or work with people who already have the equipment? Also, I have a Canon T3i and a ShoeMount Camera Mic. What should my next purchases be (be specific, I already know I need better audio). Also what are some good upgrade from a T3i?

Here's an alternative opinion:

STOP BUYING EQUIPMENT THAT DOESN'T HELP YOU FURTHER YOUR CAREER!!!

Fuck a lens. Fuck a camera. Fuck a mic. Fuck them all, right up the butt-hole. You don't need them, unless you plan to be a DP, a camera operator, a sound recordist or sound mixer, or any other technical position that requires technical expertise, you don't need any of that bullshit.

If you want to be a filmmaker, what you need is an education on how to tell stories, and that comes with practice. Lots and lots of practice. By the time you're actually good at telling a story, the equipment you just bought will be horribly obsolete. So shoot a film on your iphone, fuck the world!

CF has a point here.
My first effort with a camera was with a shitty black and white webcam with a 0.2MP sensor (shooting at 14fps). Since it had a pretty short cable it was impossible to get out of the house, so we build a lunar landscape with sand and miniatures.

For people who never shot and edited a video:
Waiting to get started, because you don't have the 'right' gear yet will only waste your time.
Getting gear while you never tasted filmmaking is a risk: you might just think you don't shoot anything, because you need a new camera. But when you have that camera you might just 'discover' another reason to not shoot.
Besides that: actual shooting will teach you how to get most out of your gear and what limitations your gear has.
So get into action now!

@OP:
A fast 50mm is a nice lens for lovely closeups with little depth of field.

When I was getting back into it, I made the mistake of buying a camera. Worst mistake ever. The only thing I've used it for was for recording the family pets and auditions.

I'm no DOP or camera OP. Since then I've used whatever was available at the time. In that part I've been rather lucky. A scarlet, Epic, a7s, 7d, 700d, 550d, 5dMk3, C100, GoPro and others I've since forgotten.

I do agree, don't get hung up on a camera. They're important, but there's so many cameras out there these days. Hell, you can shoot with your phone. Gone are the days where a real limitation was whether you could get your hands on a camera. Anyone can get a camera now. It's just vanity to what kind of camera you feel you need.

Get out there and shoot something first. It's one of the best ways to learn what you're going to need, if anything.

Back