Oh, Hi, Indietalk!

Hello Folks,

I'm Ed and I'm located out of Baltimore, MD. I just completed a content creator certification course through Santa Fe University of Art & Design.

The course itself was online and was rather isolating, for a craft that usually requires a lot of hands. A lot of the learning has been out of the classroom (or away from the computer, as it were) and out shooting stuff.

Right now, I'd consider myself a freelance videographer as no budget means no help and I've just been kind of swinging things blindly. My background prior to film school was marketing, so that's where I went with my content creation. I've been reaching out to various businesses\non-profit organizations to do pro-bono video work for them in the hopes of building enough for a reel and build things from there.

My current project has been working with a Tibetan Buddhist temple nearby with some materials for fundraising. How cool, right? B-roll bonanza and it's been a very good project.

A rough cut of one of the videos can be seen here.

https://vimeo.com/131455880

I'm really hoping to find a community to continue learning, sharing and even collaborating. I need to make up for time lost in that with my school lacking in that department.

Cheers,
Ed

Hello and welcome!

The video looks pretty good, audio is decent which I wasn't expecting. The only complaint I have is that the skin tones look very pale and green, almost undead. This can probably be fixed easily though. Can I ask what you shot on?

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

It was shot on BMCC 2.5k, ProRes HQ and the audio was recorded from a H4N.

I had great difficulty importing the project into Premiere. I normally work with Avid Media Composer, so I didn't think anything of editing with huge files, but PP does not work well with ginormous ProRes files. After two weeks of the customer service tango with Adobe, they told me to just reincode to Cineform. Since then, I've noticed a really strange shift in my colors. I've tried to offset it using Lumetri, MB looks and a base LUT to get it back to an acceptable color. I haven't noticed how green the tones were but I'll absolutely take a second pass with it.

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

It was shot on BMCC 2.5k, ProRes HQ and the audio was recorded from a H4N.

I had great difficulty importing the project into Premiere. I normally work with Avid Media Composer, so I didn't think anything of editing with huge files, but PP does not work well with ginormous ProRes files. After two weeks of the customer service tango with Adobe, they told me to just reincode to Cineform. Since then, I've noticed a really strange shift in my colors. I've tried to offset it using Lumetri, MB looks and a base LUT to get it back to an acceptable color. I haven't noticed how green the tones were but I'll absolutely take a second pass with it.

Generally what people do is edit by proxy.
So you transcode your existing HD files into SD. Then you edit the SD files and create your project using those. When you're ready to export, copy and paste over the SD files and replace them with the HD ones. Everything in your editor will be setup exactly the same with the old files and then you just hit the compile button.

Also, Hi Ed. Welcome to indietalk.
I'm sean, 32 years old and live about 30 minutes south of baltimore.

Back