• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Notice the Problem?

Before I call a re-shoot. Does anyone notice the error in the following short clip. There's no sound, because I don't have the sound files yet. I tried for a few seconds to fix it. So, it might be fixable.But, it also might not. Can you see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvizENIfQx4

Besides the flat, uninteresting lighting, there seems to be something
amiss after the guy smiles into the wide shot of the desk.

1) Paper is hanging off the table and it's not in the next shot when she sits down (and it's tilted the other way).

2) The man isn't in first shot when she walks in, you only see the girl's head.

3) Looks like when it goes back to the girl when she sits that the back of the room is the wrong part of the room (i.e. no door or black thing on the wall).

4) When he smiles, he stops smiling and then in the next cut he's already smiling so it's not matching the action from cut to cut.

Yep.

Your lighting is inconsistent. When she first walks in she isn't
lit and that head in the bottom of the frame is obtrusive. Either
lower the camera and make it an over the shoulder shot or just
a clean single as she enters.

The first shot it looks like there is no light in the room, but when
she sits she is well lit. When ever you have blank walls you end
up with a lighting issue. Dress those walls or at the very least,
throw some shadows on them.

I remember this being an issue with "Us Sinners", too.

I thought the guy's T-Shirt went from green to grey... :blush: Don't ask me, I'm colour blind...

Probably indicative of the lighting problems though...

EDIT: Also, disappearing handbag!

There's a dancing gorilla that moonwalks from left to right when it should be left to right.

PS, Wheatgrinder: LMAO! Agreed!

She's missing a finger! (I hope at least one person gets that reference)

There's a dancing gorilla that moonwalks from left to right when it should be left to right.

Haha. I love that video. And I totally didn't catch the moonwalking gorilla.

Anyway, back on subject, sinner, the lighting is pretty bad. And it's particularly jarring when you change setups. I think a lot of people will give me flack for what I'm about to say, but I think it's better to do less. If you had a real cinematographer, somebody who really knows what they're doing, and you've got a crew to effectively impliment everything that needs to get done, then I believe it is normal for every shot to be a new setup.

However, based on posts I've read from you in the past, I believe you're pretty much going this alone, aren't you? Or, if you have a crew, it's ridiculously small, no? I know all about those kind of productions, and it's my strong belief that if you don't have a real crew, the production does not benefit by you trying to do everything. You can't effectively be a cinematographer and a director at the same time, unless you and your cast have unlimited time on your hands.

So, with that in mind, I think in small-time productions like this it's better to have a 1:1 location:setup ratio. Maybe you can make small changes between shots, but nothing too significant. When you've got a thousand things on your brain, it's too easy to let one (or several) thing(s) slip.

I had nothing to do with the camera or lighting. Since it's suppose to be an average audition room, they kept the lighting simple and basic. We shot from one side of the table to get Leslie and George, and then we shot from the other side to get CUs of the actresses. I was so into directing the actors, that I personally didn't notice the lighting difference in the background on the monitor. You can be sure I'll be checking from now on.

Also this clip isn't even good takes. It's just from four different angles showing four different colored walls. The most amazing thing is, all the normal movie watchers, didn't think anything of it. Didn't even notice the difference. It's bizarre.

I had nothing to do with the camera or lighting. Since it's suppose to be an average audition room, they kept the lighting simple and basic.
Then you should take a little control of lighting. An average audition
room in a movie should look a little better. Most of the time "simple
and basic" lighting is the most difficult to pull off. Pointing one light
at the ceiling so you see an image isn't the same as lighting. And
lighting (like sound) makes a huge difference in the overall experience
of watching a movie. Even if the average audience doesn't notice.

You're the director, aren't you? The buck stops there. You call the shots, no pun intended. It appears your DP doesn't know what he/she is doing, so it's time to put the clamps down on him/her.

It absolutely does stop with me. When I hired the guy, and he really is good. I've seen his reel. He told me to just concentrate on the actors, he'd take care of all the camera and lighting.

Also, we were using his laptop as a monitor, and the difference on that screen did not look as drastic as it does now. But, it's only the first day of shooting. I might just have to reshoot the CUs of the girls. I just didn't want to bring them back.

Besides the inconsistent lighting, there is some great funny moments.

Back