• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Nocturnal - short film

Synopsis : It's 4:15am. Not knowing where his girlfriend is, Jack has little recourse but to try and find her. Stalking? Concern? Confusion? Maybe just plain paranoia...

You can find this film at http://davidd.ne1.net under FILMS > NOCTURNAL or http://betterfilms.tz4.com

Filmed over the course of 2 long, cold, winter months in 2003/2004, this short was a personal challenge for me.

I wrote, filmed, edited, crewed and composed everything in this short. During pre/pro/post, I used no help at all (except for a women's voice which I could not emulate). Using the camera rigs that I had built for other films, I managed to add high production values to a film with NO CREW and no actors, but myself.

The short was actually 1 minute longer with another scene where the main goes to a bar and finds it closed, but I cut it out because of dismal lighting (thanks to the poor lux of VHSC camera). Since then I have upgraded cameras, but it shows that even with a VHSC, you can still make a short.

Thanks for the compliment. I find alot of people are impressed with the solo effort. That makes it worthwhile.
BUT it is also a problem of mine, and something I will have to overcome - I have a hard time trusting other people to my work - but at some point I am going to have to let go and let other people help me. It is also an insecurity issue because (IMHO) as we all know, very rarely is anyone going to be into a film as much as the creator.

...I liked the shot composition. some really good decisions and nice intro and out titles (they're important, too) :)

--spinner :cool:

Very nice short! :)

I wish you hadn't mentioned you'd done everything in the initial post, though. I frequently found myself distracted from the story nailing down how each shot was done. The ending credits made that fact clear enough, and would have been a nice surprise.

I was a bit disapointed there wasn't really closure or gag of some kind, too. Felt a little empty right at the end.

Regardless; very well done. :cool:

Great exercise in getting the job accomplished... and seriously, this ought to be a swift kick to the rump for all those filmmakers who are procrastinating in filming something simply because they don't have "the right camera" yet... let alone the crew. :yes:

at some point I am going to have to let go and let other people help me.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

Decide what your strengths & weaknesses are... and let it go. You'll have to be honest with yourself (and that's not always easy) but you'll be astonished at how much better *everything* becomes when the right people are doing the right jobs.

:cool:

I kept waiting for something to happen.
The way he went up to the house, and then left...I expected to flash back to her inside the house with some baddies holding her hostage or something.

Like others have said, good job for "one man banding" it. The shooting was done well, and I liked the feel the monochrome did for the short.

Poke

Back