Night Vision

Hey, I just recently watched Paranormal Activity, it was a pretty good horror movie, but this post isn't a review of it. I was excited to see they used the Sony FX1, similar to my FX1000.

How did they achieve the night vision effect? Did they use an infrared filter over the lens, or did they shoot it in the day and darken it in post. I was also thinking they could've turned the gain up really high and then made it black and white in post. Perhaps there is another way I'm not thinking of.

An answer would be appreciated, thanks.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But there are night vision modes on cameras. Might have just went for that.

Probably, how would I replicate that on my camera? According to Sony's website it's only something they include on their CCD cameras, and only lets in infrared light. I have a CMOS camera, and I'm wondering if using an infrared filter would give me the same effect? They seem pretty cheap, but I don't know if its what I'm looking for, I want it to make things in the dark visible.

There's a night vision 'effect' preset for after effects included on the dvd that comes with the DV Rebel's Guide.. If I were making a film that were going to include something that's supposed to have been shot with night vision I'd probably use something like that. Especially if said shot required other effects and whatnot.

I'll take a look at that effect, thanks Will.

Here's an image of the night vision I'm talking about
paranormal-activity-799842.jpg

I understand they probably tinted that blue, but would an infrared filter over my lens work like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074

The trailer is mostly bullcrap, if you skip to about :40 seconds in you can see the footage for a few seconds.

this is totally a filter or special effect in my opinion. They didn't use true night vision. Look at the wall behind the bed, it's lighter than the wall next to the door. Obviously there is a light or sun coming in, Also look in the hallway, one room has light coming through and shining into a hallway. Something a really bright room light or sunlight would do. At 4:30 AM I doubt there would be any light unless we lived in the poles. The lamp on the nightstand is off, next to the bed. And it looks like someone was sleeping in the bed, unless they're afraid of the dark they would be sleeping with the lights off.

The shot looks like it was done with a light placed in the corner of the room, 6 to 7 feet
high and ND filter used. Note the shadow of the table lamps on the wall and the reflection
of the light on the headboard. The light was aimed at the sheets near the foot of the bed.

Terry

Last edited:
Back