newbies and features

Ok,

So I hate being told I can't...... Consulted on a few things for a 5 minute short. I had a blast so I asked about making a feature length film. Once the director was done laughing he mumbled for 10 minutes about cost and difficulty and a million other things. Then he said there was no way I could ever make a feature.....

So I put together a team of close friends and we wrote for 45 days to the tune of a 120 page feature length script. We then spent the next 6 months shooting in our free time. We are now 95% done with post which includes a custom score.

We were able to get it all done with a budget of $2000 to $4000. I havent added up our actual costs yet.

I can find very little info here about feature length stuff. Is that a good budget for an Indie action film? Time frame from pen to post 18 months good?

I'm just not sure how to judge how we did. One of our guys is a web designer so he set us up a website and facebook if anyone wants to look at it. We do have a trailer up but it was produced with only 70% of shooting done so its so so and the audio is a little rough.

Anyway im open to suggestions and where from here?

The website is www.goldencirclemovie.com

It's a very very low budget ($1 million projects are still considered micro budget) but that doesn't mean your film won't be good. There's simply too many factors that come into play in order to tell you if 18 months is a good time frame. I'm glad you didn't listen to that guy that told you that you could never shoot a feature length. I'm so sick of people saying that! So congrats to you for pushing forward!! :)

I would definitely work out a new website as it's very very bland and hard to understand. It doesn't create any buzz for your movie.

Good luck from here on out!

from the pictures, it honestly looks really good. Do you know if you'll sell it on DVD? cuz i'd be interested in viewing it.. also, please post a trailer

anyway, in regards to the douche who told you you can't do it, I hope it's absolutely amazing, then you should put "Dedicated to that person's name, a man who told me that this project would never be completed" before the credits

Bart: You make me sick, Homer. You're the one who told me I could do anything if I just put my mind to it!
Homer: Well, now that you're a little bit older, I can tell you that's a crock! No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Bart: Gotcha. Can't win, don't try.

For 99.99% of newbs who make a feature it's a complete FUBAR. That's primarily because they don't understand what goes into making even a short film, much less a demanding project like a feature, so they make every one of the primary mistakes, the foremost of which is inadequate preparation. That's why so many are told "Don't even try."

Those that do succeed on their first try directing a feature length project have other types of experience on film sets; they've done one or several craft jobs, or been in front of the camera (or both), so they at least have some idea of what they are getting themselves into because they have seen the process in action.

The big difference between the amatuer/hobbyist and a professional is that professionals are smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others, put in copious preparation and never repeat the few mistakes that they do make.

So congrats on your film; I wish you luck.

I have a tough time believing that someone who shot a 120-page feature with, among other things, a helicopter stunt, and tracking shots along speedboats, and smooth crowd shots, and a highly active trailer, is savvy enough to get all that done for $4000 but is still asking the questions you're asking. That's actually a compliment to how good your footage looks. You are one helluva a first time producer to can all that for 4 grand.

I tip my hat.

You should get a sales agent.

Shanked

Congratulations on shooting a feature and not stopping a naysayer from allowing you to progress and go forward on the project - it's something to be proud of.

I'm working on shorts for now but I do have two projects that are intended as features. A sci-fi/thriller and a psychological horror film in the vein of the Silent Hill games.

I work on them from time to time, making additions and subtractions. I'm crafting an entire backstory not only for the characters but the world within the story too.

Good luck with selling this film and on your future productions!

Well, I fly helicopters for a living and have done boat shoots for magazines so I knew how to do that part and I could rent the helo for those shots really cheap. The boat in that shot belongs to my parents. Guns belong to a buddy, Race cars we borrowed, Night time shot infront of the lake resort ( bad guy lair) was a donated location. Basically we were out a very little for the helicopter and some food, gas and a few props.

What I'm saying is that I wasnt afraid to ask people to use places and stuff. I got refused at several salvage yards and finally found one to agree.

We will eventually work out a real trailer. Just trying to finish the movie for now.

The website was just supposed to be a production item so everyone who helped us could keep up with progress without having to call. If it turns out good we will work up something flashy.

I know sundance really isnt into action gun films from what i can tell from past accepted films, but is it worth the money to try? Where else should I try to submit it? Of course i would evrntually like to sell it or put it out on DVD but i know even less about that.

I did learn to lock down shots that will have CGI. Cant lock on to add stuff needed means learning how to do it frame by frame.... WOW.

And for your question as yo why I want judged.... Definitely did it for the fun but still just curious how we did as a team.

I figured you must have had some flight experience. I mean, sheesh, your screen name sort of gives it away. But, great, overall, your trailer looks like you spent a lot more money.

The fact that you know that Sundance is a longshot means you're on the right track. The bigger festivals generally do NOT want shoot em' ups. You'd have to have a really heartfelt story to get in. Or you'd have to really play up the microbudget factor. In other words, you'd make the budget the selling point. It would be in your logline. But there are a good number of festivals that would embrace your work. You just have to google around a bit. The genre festivals. Action. Stunts. Guns. Campy. Etc.

But I suggest you look into distribution, too. While the drama is the genre that gets in to festivals most often, it's not an easy genre to sell. But your genre, action, is the best genre for worldwide revenue. You should exploit that aspect... if that interests you.

Shanked

Distribution..... ok sure. Would b great to re-coup costs and show the guy that it got sold or picked up or whatever the word is.

How? Where? Who? I dont even know where to begin on that.

I do have conceptual ideas for a movie before and after this one.

Thanks to all for the kind words and direction so far.

Distribution..... ok sure. Would b great to re-coup costs and show the guy that it got sold or picked up or whatever the word is.

How? Where? Who? I dont even know where to begin on that.

I do have conceptual ideas for a movie before and after this one.

Thanks to all for the kind words and direction so far.

what do you mean before this one? Didn't you say this one was almost done?

Wow - looks great, especially for your budget. I commend you for your work. Looking forward to hear about potential distribution and seeing your finished product!

I am also curious about the gear you used, especially camera(s) and audio recording equipment.

Yes this one is almost complete, however We were smart enough to make it stand alone but still leave some questions so there could be a supporting movie that takes place before this and enough ties to have a sequel.

We used Canon 5D mkII, 7D, T3i, and I think its a new sony 700 or something. Its a little silver super compact that can take full size lenses if u get an adapter.

We rented and borrowed a couple of different sound pieces. Most of it was recorded with a tascam and mic in a bigfuzzy thing. Ive used mainly just the Tascam with the internal stereo mics to build the foley sounds this month. One of our other guys has a really nice condenser mic that we fixed voices with. Those were recorded right onto the computer.

Oh by the way I did some acting too. We were afraid of getting half way done and having our leads bail on us and mess up the whole project. We took several takes on some of the shots to get satisfied but all in all im very happy with how my parts turned out. Before this i was the guy who was embarrassed to hear my own voice on home movies.
I just got all of that out of my head and tried to feel the scene. Was very difficult at first. Im the one getting choked in the shop scene. My buddy is the one choking me. Hes the IT and prop research, helped writing and put it into celtex. Hes one of the other leads and he scheduled shooting and post.
We have an awesome team. We are even thinking about releasing a CD with our custom music from the film.

Sounds like you have a great little team going there. I wish I could get something like that going with my friends but none of them really want to help learn the technical stuff with me, so it's tough. Curious, are you doing the post audio yourself or do you have a sound guy to your edit/mix?

Back