• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New mocumentary idea

Hey guys I have a mocumentary idea and I'd wanna know if you think it can be big.

The British Embassy sends a British boy over to America with a film crew to make an educational video on America. Over the course of four years he slowly becomes more americanized until he fully behaves like an American.

What do you think?

Who's the target market audience?
Does a British audience want to watch one of their own become "Americanized"?
Do Americans want to watch us make someone else "us"?
Does anyone give a flying fig about a filmmaker or reporter?

I don't think this will quite be like watching Wikus van de Merwe turning into a prawn.
D976.jpg

Help us see what you see.

I could see that being entertaining, but you'd have to have a pretty spectacular comedic actor to pull the whole thing off, or I suspect people would say things like "Borat meets District 9.

The British Embassy sends a British boy over to America with a film crew to make an educational video on America. Over the course of four years he slowly becomes more americanized until he fully behaves like an American.

EXT. BEACH -
we see a young boy , already killed at least a few people

take his gun off his back

SOLDIER
I'm sick of this

We see a soldier friend rubing against his gun with a cleaner.
He is younger and whiping his gun down with a whiper.

SOLDIER 2
Get used to it.

Soldier 1
who's war is it?

we see soldier 2 whiping his gun clean making sure it ready for next shot

soldier 2
It's our war now get use to it

soldier 1
I don't think i can

soldier 2
well your gonna have to

as soldier two stands up with his polished gun an exploshen happens its the happanese sent a bobm

he explodes forward

I dont know i'm starting to see it as a war script

cheeers
mark

Sorry about that I know I'm not being clear.

Because of the fact that barely any British people live in America, the British Embassy sends a young boy to document how life is different in America. For the first few months or so, he has a bit of culture shock, getting used to the driving, the food etc. He makes friends over there and ends up deciding to live there. And over the course of 4 years, we gradually see his English accent turn into an American accent and see his attitude change into that of an American youth.

I know it sounds really bland, but its better with lines

Who's the target market audience?
Does a British audience want to watch one of their own become "Americanized"?
Do Americans want to watch us make someone else "us"?
Does anyone give a flying fig about a filmmaker or reporter?

I don't think this will quite be like watching Wikus van de Merwe turning into a prawn.
D976.jpg

Help us see what you see.

1. Target Audience would be American Comedy, which has lots of audiences mixed together.
2. I lived the first half of my life in England, and the second half here in New York, so I've lived the gradual change into an American. And everyone in England is fascinated to hear the differences, almost all of them have an even raunchier sense of humor, theyre not as high class as theyre made out to be in the media.
3. Americans are fascinated by British people because frankly, there are none of them here, they would love to see this movie.
4. I don't know what you mean, could you elaborate?

Have to be honest, to me, this is not a film. There's no story there. I'm going to assume there is more... Does the boy fall in love? Does he get involved in some kind of espionage conspiracy? Wrongly acused of spying? Any kind of adventure???

I wouldn't be too interested in watching a British boy become americanized. It may be an interesting documentary (maybe), but it really doesn't sound like and entertaining narrative.

I love America, and most of what I know (and I use the term 'know' lightly) comes from TV and the movies. I don't know what your film would offer me, as a Brit, that I haven't seen elsewhere...

Have to be honest, to me, this is not a film. There's no story there. I'm going to assume there is more... Does the boy fall in love? Does he get involved in some kind of espionage conspiracy? Wrongly acused of spying? Any kind of adventure???

I wouldn't be too interested in watching a British boy become americanized. It may be an interesting documentary (maybe), but it really doesn't sound like and entertaining narrative.

I love America, and most of what I know (and I use the term 'know' lightly) comes from TV and the movies. I don't know what your film would offer me, as a Brit, that I haven't seen elsewhere...

You know what mate, your right. I'm going to put this one off to the side

Remember, when stories are put in there simplest forms they sometimes sound uninteresting.

And it's also possible that your interpretation of his "idea" isn't as interesting as his own? It's pointless to ask questions about the story in this stage of development, although this thread is meaningless without more information (your complaint) I agree.

I like the idea, but a lot of ideas are good before someone translates them into a narrative, or a visual.

Noob... You are right, but thats my point. I was asking for more information on the story. The idea sounds like a concept for a documentary, not a narrative. There needs to be a story there, beginning, middle, end. The Borat comparison has already been made... That film was about a man travelling to America to make a documentary about the culture, but he ends up falling in with Pamela Anderson. Great.

From johnwillgaud's last post, I'm assuming there wasn't any more of a story there. I think that need working on.

And johnwillgaud, I hope you don't feel too downtrodden by my comments. No need to toss it aside completely, it just needs a little work.

And johnwillgaud, I hope you don't feel too downtrodden by my comments. No need to toss it aside completely, it just needs a little work.

I think that's an understatement, it needs a whole story, jk I know you're trying to be more supportive.

Anyways, he asked us what we think of his idea, (your complaint is about a lack of story, and I agree) but we're being told to asses his idea not his story.

But it's not easy to critique something that's interpreted differently depending on who's reading it, which is why he needs a story.

Anyways, it seems we both agree he needs to translate it into a story so we can critique it.

Back